IGNORED

MAME HSC ROUND 7/10 - Eggs / MJ's Moonwalker

This round's game 1 of 2:

Eggs

ROM Name: Eggs

ROM File: eggs

Picked by: Cynicaster

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED )

Lives: 3

Bonus Life: 30k

This round's game 2 of 2:

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

ROM Name: Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (World, FD1094/8751 317-0159)

ROM File: mwalk

Picked by: hero2millions

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED )

Lives: 3

Player vitality: high

Difficulty: Normal

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday October 25, 11:59pm PST

Previous Round Results:

Colony 7

Cynicaster

100.0%

MAME Offender

92.2%

Razzie.P

47.4%

AtariWarlord

27.0%

youxia

10.7%

Floyd Turbo

10.1%

roadrunner

5.1%

jblenkle

1.5%

hero2millions

1.0%

S.BAZ

0.0%

bigbee99

0.0%

DoDonPachi

MAME Offender

100.0%

Cynicaster

71.9%

Razzie.P

31.9%

youxia

20.2%

AtariWarlord

19.7%

Floyd Turbo

19.0%

roadrunner

10.9%

jblenkle

4.9%

hero2millions

1.9%

S.BAZ

0.0%

bigbee99

0.0%

Standings to Date:

Razzie.P

70.74%

MAME Offender

61.82%

Cynicaster

50.65%

youxia

28.66%

AtariWarlord

27.14%

Floyd Turbo

25.46%

hero2millions

18.41%

roadrunner

14.83%

jblenkle

11.42%

bigbee99

8.49%

S.BAZ

7.28%

eggs.zip mwalk.zip

Edited by Cynicaster

I know Eggs is a bit of an obscure one that most players probably are not familiar with, so here are the basics:

- goal is to clear the screen of eggs.  You kick rows or columns of eggs and all eggs downstream of your kick will bounce off each other in a chain reaction, cracking the eggs.  Each hit progressively cracks the eggs further until they hatch.  Once hatched, a single additinal kick clears the chick from the screen.  

- you can fight off enemies by hitting them with moving eggs or shooting your eyeballs at them.  The enemies never actually go away permanently; they keep regenerating.  

-  you can shoot your boomerang eyeballs as many times as you like, but you need to be careful because you can't shoot them again until they return to you, and sometimes they get kind of stuck in the maze

- each screen will have one red chick hidden in the grid of eggs.  If the red chick is the last one cleared, you get a 10,000 point bonus when clearing the level

What a bizarre mix. Eggs is super cute but a bit too clever for me...plus it's a maze game...sigh). Still, the chicks are lovely. Especially that little white chicken which runs around helping out.

Moonwalker is a load of WTH. Michael Jackson was an icon when I was growing up, but I haven't really thought about him for more than a decade so it's a huge nostalgia blast. I like the gfx/sfx & gameplay a lot, even if the whole game is just a one big ego-trip, and the kids shouting "Thank you, Michael!" might seem a bit odd these days.

EDIT:

MJ - 35,790

Eggs - 19,770

Edited by youxia

On 10/12/2020 at 7:56 PM, Hero2millions said:

What are the green chics?

Each level has different insect enemies that roam the screen trying not only to kill you but to undo your progress.  If you have a partially cracked egg, the insects will pass by and "repair" it so you have to start over on that egg.  If you get the egg fully hatched and the little yellow chick is sitting there, the insects can no longer repair the egg but they can bite the chick and poison it, turning it green (looks more grey on my screen, but whatever).  You still need to clear these dead chicks to clear the level, but once they're poisoned you get no points for clearing them.  So to maximize your score, you want to try to kick as many chicks off the screen as you can while they're still yellow and healthy.  

On 10/12/2020 at 10:03 AM, Cynicaster said:

- each screen will have one red chick hidden in the grid of eggs.  If the red chick is the last one cleared, you get a 10,000 point bonus when clearing the level

I've been playing a bit trying to focus on this for the extra points.  Makes it a bit harder, of course, but seems to be worth it.   My scores are already improving by a bit, even on runs when it feels like I'm "doing worse."

On 10/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, youxia said:

Moonwalker is a load of WTH. Michael Jackson was an icon when I was growing up, but I haven't really thought about him for more than a decade so it's a huge nostalgia blast. I like the gfx/sfx & gameplay a lot, even if the whole game is just a one big ego-trip, and the kids shouting "Thank you, Michael!" might seem a bit odd these days.

Understatement of the year.