IGNORED

large memory demos/games

AHA

hello fellows, im trying to compile a list of games/demos that use extended memory (ex. bomb jack 320k)

finding these demos and games is not so easy as there are so MANY to go through....

does anyone have a list or know where i can get hold of one, ive only found a few demos so far.....

the reason for my sudden interest is that i just got hold of the freezer 2011 cart & it comes with ram disk

which gives me extra memory... i wanna see what those clever coders have done with it! and whats possible on

our little ataris....

any help would be much appreciated.... thanks guys

I recomended Homesoft www where you can find many games greatly rebuilded from atr to one xex which works with 128kb. For example there are karateka, Koronis rift and may others, just write to search window 130, 256 or 320 :)

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=9

Edited by Poison
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Poison said:

I recomended Homesoft www where you can found many games greatly rebuilded from atr to one xex which works with 128kb. For example there are karateka, Koronis rift and may others, just write to search window 130, 256 or 320 :)

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=9

Yep, as of yet no entries for 576 and only one entry for 1MB (Atari Blast). But many entries for 128k and 320k...

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the info, hey does anyone know where i can get atari blast (used to be gtia blast) as a cart/bin image...

i have the ultimate cart and wanna try it out....

Edited by AHA
oops found it!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting demos/titles. Space Harrier is cool. If it wasn't for the trees, I would be a much better player. I remember playing this before. Maybe arcades. For sure, not in my atari, since I only had 64KB of RAM. Unless there was a version for 64 but I don't remember.

I think AtariBlast is extremely cool. I wonder if the extra memory is used to store more of the sprites, background, etc.... It seems so alive.

Ray Check demo is very interesting and cool. Amazing that they could do that with 320KB. The picture seems more vivid than Altirra is showing me.

I'd imagine he just got the two routines for Horizontal and vertical play types and the mem is used like a giant ram disk to store the data in and swapped to accordingly.

I say just as if its easy, I'm sure its a lot more complex than that..

As for Altirra's display, it can be tweaked to suit in View / Adjust Colours (ok, colors for the US folk :) )  There's also some preset palettes in there.

12 hours ago, Blues76 said:

Ray Check demo is very interesting and cool. Amazing that they could do that with 320KB. The picture seems more vivid than Altirra is showing me.

Maybe you also like these (only converted by me with some PC Tools, like TIP Converter and TIP Animator). They are all packed with Exomizer (to save diskspace) however, so you have to wait for unpacking. And errmm, since I only have PAL Ataris, I used a PAL palette (OlivierP)...

Raytraced.zip

32 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Maybe you also like these (only converted by me with some PC Tools, like TIP Converter and TIP Animator). They are all packed with Exomizer (to save diskspace) however, so you have to wait for unpacking. And errmm, since I only have PAL Ataris, I used a PAL palette (OlivierP)...

Raytraced.zip 508.29 kB · 1 download

Thank you so much. I will check it out today.

What is TIP ? I heard that already and I'm not sure what it means.

8 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

Thank you so much. I will check it out today.

What is TIP ? I heard that already and I'm not sure what it means.

TIP = Taquart Interlaced/Interleaved Picture, it uses Gr. 9+10+11 for a max. resolution of 160x119 pixels (max. 160x100 with TIP Animator) and up to 256 colours. Here are some TIP gfx

Alas, many TIP animations are painfully slow (and you could see the frame-drawing) when full 160x100 resolution is used, so I had to downsize them to even smaller visible sizes, like e.g. 100x70 or 80x50 pixels (the full size is still 160x100 pixels, but there is a huge black border around the visible animation).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

TIP = Taquart Interlaced/Interleaved Picture, it uses Gr. 9+10+11 for a max. resolution of 160x119 pixels (max. 160x100 with TIP Animator) and up to 256 colours. Here are some TIP gfx

Thanks. I will check it out.

I love the ray tracing stuff you sent. I Rayspin and glass are too cool. I'm not sure what is the best setting for Altirra. I will be looking forward running this in my 1088XEL and I guess at some point when I have an Atari modded!

Is the code in ASM?

Thanks,

5 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

Is the code in ASM?

Thanks,

I think so, but errrm, as a non-programmer, I do not know. TIP Converter is a Java program that converts BMP, JPG, PNG pictures/frames into (A8) TIP format; while TIP Animator is an .EXE for the command line (I run it under Win XP) that generates the TIP animation (XEX-file) from the converted TIP pictures/frames and optionally packs it.

Just now, CharlieChaplin said:

I think so, but errrm, as a non-programmer, I do not know. TIP Converter is a Java program that converts BMP, JPG, PNG pictures/frames into (A8) TIP format; while TIP Animator is an .EXE for the command line (I run it under Win XP) that generates the TIP animation (XEX-file) from the converted TIP pictures/frames and optionally packs it.

Cool.