IGNORED

Arcade 1up - Atari - Dedicated Mini Pong JR

negative1

looks cool:

https://www.atari.com/atari-mini-pong-jr-brings-the-classic-pong-arcade-experience-to-homes-for-holiday-2020/

Iconic Brand Atari® Joins Forces with Leading Entertainment Device Manufacturer UNIS and Long Term Partner in this Market, Arcade1Up, to Launch New PONG®-Inspired Small-Form-Factor Retro-Arcade Device in Asia, North America, and Additional Markets

NEW YORK, NY (October 20, 2020) – Atari® — one of the world’s most iconic consumer brands and entertainment producers — in collaboration with amusement and entertainment device manufacturer UNIS Technology Ltd.today announced the Atari Mini PONG Jr., a new home arcade device based on the classic PONG® arcade game. The stylish small-form-factor digital Atari Mini PONG Jr. gaming device will arrive in time for the holidays in North America and Asia. 

The Atari Mini PONG Jr. from UNIS allows players to experience PONG in a whole new dimension, bringing a high-tech yet retro ‘80s arcade experience to the home living room. The Atari Mini PONG Jr. measures just 30-centimeters in length and is outfitted with an LCD screen, fitting perfectly on any table surface. The device features single-player play against an AI, 2-player local multiplayer, retro arcade sound effects, and physical dials for players to control their respective PONG paddles. The device is powered by a USB cable and adapter; users can optionally install three lithium rechargeable batteries for portable play. 

The Atari Mini PONG Jr. launches exclusively online this holiday season. UNIS Technology Ltd. will distribute the Atari Mini PONG Jr. in China and Asian markets, while Arcade1Up (Tastemakers, LLC.) will handle North American distribution. Atari will soon announce details on pricing and pre-orders, as well as additional gaming devices. 

“We are delighted to collaborate with the creative minds at UNIS to create a new arcade-inspired PONG gaming machine for fans,” said Fred Chesnais, CEO of Atari. “Available soon online, the Atari Mini PONG Jr. is the perfect gift for Atari fans and collectors interested in experiencing the simple-yet-challenging gameplay of PONG in a tangible, more immersive way.”

“We are extremely excited to be working with Atari on developing the Atari Mini PONG Jr.,” said Steven Tan, General Manager of UNIS Technology (Canada) Ltd. “We previously launched several PONG tables for the amusement coin-op industry in partnership with Calinfer, and those products have done exceptionally well. PONG is truly an incredible license. I am looking forward to seeing the Atari Mini PONG Jr. hit the consumer market!”

Key Features of the Atari Mini PONG Jr.:

Lightweight and compact in size

Perfect for home, office, and on-the-go

Play with AI or friends

Ten AI difficulty levels

Intuitive interface, simple to use controls

7.9 Inch LCD Panel

Lithium Rechargeable battery (3) for portable use

USB powered

later

On 10/21/2020 at 12:09 AM, 0078265317 said:

Must everything Atari SA make have to be compaired to the fricking Nintendo Switch by millennial journalists!?  Heaven forbid if any company made video games before the Big N did... :roll:

58 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

Must everything Atari SA make have to be compaired to the fricking Nintendo Switch by millennial journalists!?  Heaven forbid if any company made video games before the Big N did... :roll:

Not defending nintendo, but they've been a toy company since 1965, and into videogames since 1975, so it's not like they're newcomers.

later

I LOVE paddle games.  If it was cheap, had good controls & stacked with a range of well emulated paddle games like Warlords, Arkanoid, Blasteroids, Kaboom & Tempest then it would be an instant purchase.  

As it'll no doubt be overpriced, have dodgy controls & only be able to play Pong (like billions of clones from 4 decades ago) I'll give it the swerve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the_hawk said:

I LOVE paddle games.  If it was cheap, had good controls & stacked with a range of well emulated paddle games like Warlords, Arkanoid, Blasteroids, Kaboom & Tempest then it would be an instant purchase.  

As it'll no doubt be overpriced, have dodgy controls & only be able to play Pong (like billions of clones from 4 decades ago) I'll give it the swerve.

And people will try to hack it. But without action buttons, it won't be very useful.

later

I have been an avid mini arcade supporter from the Arcade Classics,My Arcade,New Wave Toys,Tiny Arcade etc.

I have reached the overload point especially with the very basic game selections such as repeated Pacman,Dig Dug and Pong.

This one and the fact Arcade Classics just released their 4th Pacman version has put a solid "no" into my mini collecting vocabulary.  Just too late to the party,for me at least.

Edited by wolfy62
Adding info.

On 10/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, wolfy62 said:

I have been an avid mini arcade supporter from the Arcade Classics,My Arcade,New Wave Toys,Tiny Arcade etc.

I have reached the overload point especially with the very basic game selections such as repeated Pacman,Dig Dug and Pong.

This one and the fact Arcade Classics just released their 4th Pacman version has put a solid "no" into my mini collecting vocabulary.  Just too late to the party,for me at least.

I have a question.

I'm a hardcore music collector, i buy tons of records and cds, from groups i like. I don't care if i have 10 copies of something, i end up buying

newer versions just to collect.  I don't even listen to most of the records, or cds, since i have the digital files.

are you a collector, or do you actually play everything you own.

would it bother you, if you missed one of the myarcade releases, or tiny arcade or arcade classics.

i only buy the ones i like, and actually play them.

if you collect them, it doesn't matter if they release pac-man 10 times.... like the tiny arcades hello kitty pac-man, i would still buy it.

what difference does it make if you have all of them or not. it just separates people that collect, from people that use what they buy.

later

Edited by negative1

I am actually a pretty fair mix of both collector and player of all the games I buy.

I love the way most arcade recreated toys look because I grew up with video games and in the arcades.

I have a decent eye for what is pretty crummy or pretty nice,and I realize a lot of the little mini items are not very playable or fun to play.

I actually do like the way the little tiny arcade machines look and play to an extent.Arcade classics line I think is pretty bad mostly,My Arcades are a couple steps up from that. New Wave Toys make excellent machines!

Just like any companies stuff,some are definitely better than other.

I also do have a collecting problem from the completionist standpoint,up to a certain point.

I dont like collecting variants of the same item if I can avoid it,one is enough.

And,as long as someone enjoys what they play or collect is really all that matters.

I love my collection,the mini arcades are just part of it.

I have a beautiful boxed Intellivision collection,most games of which I have played over the years and most every video game system,or a version of ever made.

Video games are awesome!?

My Dad was a huge music collector,mostly classical stuff.

That must be a fun hobby too!

• 4 weeks later...

I mean, it looks very pretty, and I'm sure the build quality (at that price) is quite nice.  Not sure if the collect-ability factor is is high as the new Nintendo Game and Watch.  At $129, for the regular guy, its not really an impulse buy, I wouldn't think?  Perhaps it is more of a high end novelty?  Something to show off how much expendable income you have?  If it was truly something for fans of Atari or Pong, maybe they could have made something a bit more affordable?  I was thinking before the price dropped that maybe this would be something fun for my daughter and I to enjoy.  Oh well, like I said, its pretty to look at.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TwinChargers said:

I mean, it looks very pretty, and I'm sure the build quality (at that price) is quite nice.  Not sure if the collect-ability factor is is high as the new Nintendo Game and Watch.  At $129, for the regular guy, its not really an impulse buy, I wouldn't think?  Perhaps it is more of a high end novelty?  Something to show off how much expendable income you have?  If it was truly something for fans of Atari or Pong, maybe they could have made something a bit more affordable?  I was thinking before the price dropped that maybe this would be something fun for my daughter and I to enjoy.  Oh well, like I said, its pretty to look at.

i will wait for a price drop eventually.

i remember i wanted a rubiks touch cube, and they were priced similarly, and i waited a few months, and they were clearing them out

for very cheap.

later

• 4 weeks later...

Guess I was late to the unboxing party (hadn't seen this ETAPrime one, which is a great unboxing. Just barely got my contest-won version from UNIS). I did get some footage with a second player on it though, at least :P I agree with his assessment - at $129, this is crazy. Even if it had all Atari paddle games on it, that'd still be a questionable price, but at least there would be more than one game on it.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian