IGNORED

pal on ntsc amiga

howerton

I just bought ntsc amiga 500 and am new to the computer. I know with atari st i just needed a 1224 monitor to display pal video in color. What would I need to get pal games running in color with the amiga? Are pal amiga games even playable on a ntsc amiga? Also is golden axe ntsc compatible? That is what i bought the computer for.

If your game is running, but not displaying in color, its possible that it is your display that doesn't support PAL.

What are you using as your display?

The A500 RCA output is monochrome and the A520 is (I think) NTSC or PAL specific.

For the A600/A1200 and above, you can go into the early boot menu and choose PAL or NTSC.

(I think this is Kickstart 2.x or above?)

I'm not as sure if an A500 with a newer kickstart handles it the same way tho???  I'm a bit rusty there..

There is definitely an NTSC version of Golden Axe, so that shouldn't be a problem.

17 hours ago, howerton said:

I have a amiga 500 and is this golden axe official? My display is my tv. Also where can I get the ntsc version of golden axe?

When you say "your display is your TV," what do you mean by that?

How is it connected from the Amiga to your TV?

And yes, it's just a standard GoldenAxe version...

Most PAL/NTSC issues with games are around game speed and/or screen size (or the game just won't run).

No color sounds more like a connectivity and/or device (TV) that doesn't support PAL.

But before we know if it is the device, we need to know how your Amiga is connected to it...

9 minutes ago, Daedalus2097 said:

...but you also need a 1MB Fat Agnus chip to be able to switch in software like that. If you have an older Agnus chip, you need a hardware mod.

That's it!  I thought there was something like that, but couldn't remember..

Thanx!

Ok I bought a  A520 and all I get is garbled green and dark picture. My tv is a standard Ntsc Tv and I use composite cables. I am starting to wonder if I bought a broken a520 adapter as I have seen the amiga display color where I bought it, but I am over 500 miles away who I bought it from. It is a ntsc amiga.

Keep in mind he's running a NTSC Amiga on an NTSC monitor, and the Amiga 500 outputs monochrome hence he get's no color.\

Also a quick Google search tells me an NTSC version of Golden Axe simply doesn't exist. You could just run the PAL game on your NTSC Amiga, and except the game running too fast(which results in distorted audio) it should work fine.

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, howerton said:

I bought a monitor for the amiga, a 1084-D.I have also bought all the necessary cables. I come from using a commodore 64 and atari 130xe. They were very easy to get picture on. Just plug into your tv and play. Thanks for all the help everyone!

PAL/NTSC color issues are only related to composite/RF video.

RGB, by definition, doesn't have PAL/NTSC color issues...

So if, by "all the necessary cables" you mean you are using an RGB cable (DIN or 9-pin DSUB), then you shouldn't have color issues...

If you are using RCA cables to connect (the 1084 series supports that as well), then it could still be the connection tho.

But assuming you are using a real RGB cable connected to the 23-pin video port on the Amiga directly to the 1084, then this isn't a PAL/NTSC issue.  (RGB connections send the colors over individual wires for Red, Green, & Blue; regardless of PAL/NTSC machines)

Is it just that game?

Perhaps there is just something broken with that game image?