IGNORED

Fire Emblem is getting released on the Switch

Steven Pendleton

So this guy

Pic_1022_440.thumb.jpg.e6d1e735a52cb0d65920094f199c0e32.jpg

is getting released on the Switch, apparently.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-getting-first-fire-emblem-game-previously-japan-only-in-december/1100-6483630/

...and it looks like it has bad pixel scaling. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy doesn't it have interpolationnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Edited by Steven Pendleton

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm curious what they did to expand a sub 1MB NES game into a 30MB file.  Must be one pretty bloated emulator.

It looks like it has various extra features, though.  30MB doesn't seem that small for an emulator these days -- not the ROM binaries, mind you.

They could also be live patching in the translation -- NERD appears to do that, and I assume they've been in charge of this project.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

...and it looks like it has bad pixel scaling. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy doesn't it have interpolationnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

You mean bilinear filtering?

Maybe the "change display" option toggles that.

1 minute ago, DavidD said:

They could also be live patching in the translation -- NERD appears to do that, and I assume they've been in charge of this project.

Most likely. Most of their hacks lately have been live patches.

That VWF is pretty fancy.

Good points.  I forgot about the live patch thing they've been applying lately to a select few games.  It would be fantastic if they just blanket did this to many more such as those on the Switch SNES/NES apps.  Picross on the SFC has some annoying unreadable menus for most that would make it far more friendly and far easier than doing an adventure or RPG.

On 10/26/2020 at 12:40 AM, Asaki said:

You mean bilinear filtering?

Maybe the "change display" option toggles that.

Most likely. Most of their hacks lately have been live patches.

That VWF is pretty fancy.

I could be wrong, but I think bilinear filtering refers to smoothing which some people like while other prefer the sharp pixels.

Horizontal interpolation is what something like the Retro USB AVS has. It cuts down on pixel shimmering. So this release of Fire Emblem is going to have shimmering? Ugh....

4 hours ago, cybercylon said:

Horizontal interpolation is what something like the Retro USB AVS has. It cuts down on pixel shimmering. So this release of Fire Emblem is going to have shimmering? Ugh....

I haven't seen too many emulators that simulate "pixel shimmering", if that is what I think it is. You mean like NTSC dot crawl?

31 minutes ago, Asaki said:

I haven't seen too many emulators that simulate "pixel shimmering", if that is what I think it is. You mean like NTSC dot crawl?

An older post of mine that shows what we're talking about:

Important to note the mistake John made when he made this video, as he seems to have labelled the interpolation on and off backwards.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

An older post of mine that shows what we're talking about:

Oh, I see, it's a scaling error (resolution isn't scaled to nearest multiple). That does tend to drive one crazy, it's more likely to show up when aspect ratio correction is applied.

I don't know if the Switch emulators have this issue, I haven't tried them, but I know the 3DS emus can be toggled to 1:1 pixel mode.

• 8 months later...

Belated, but I'm still mad that I missed buying this.  I somehow didn't see that it was a limited time release, so I was waiting for my birthday to buy it for myself, and the next thing I see is "Game's gone!  Hope you got it before we removed it!  If you didn't, screw you! We'd rather sit on this game than sell it!"

I tried contacting Nintendo to ask when it'd be available for sale again, but I was ignored.

And then Nintendo gets mad when people pirate their games.  "Don't pirate the games we refuse to sell you!"

• Like 1