IGNORED

Announcing a rogue-like RPG for the Atari Jaguar

phoboz

On 11/2/2020 at 11:44 AM, Mikebloke said:

Looking good! Will rocks be pullable or do we just need to be careful and not block overselves in! No promises I wouldn't do that lol.

Now the blocks are pullable, we cannot risk that you block yourselves in and just have to sit and watch your player character starve to death

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

Ooooh inventory and spell screens, magic, level up stats! Looking good. It's starting to really feel beyond fatal Labyrinth now, thanks for all the hard work you are putting in! 

Will enemies be using spells too? 

It wouldn't be impossible to implement monsters that cast spells, but I don't have animation frames for something like an evil wizard. So currently it wouldn't make sense. Also I am running out of cartridge space (despite using packed images), so let's see how much more I can put it. The game currently has 26 levels, a number of different monsters, and quite a lot of items.

Intentionally I have only shown the environment on a few of the levels, in order not to spoil everything for you..

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Iwantgames:) said:

This is looking more awesome with each bit shown :) Definitely looking forward to seeing the final game!

Thank you for being patient. Some more time will be needed before the game is final, but progress has been steady. The game is somewhat in a playable state, but in the end, some fine tuning will be needed to find the correct balance between challenge, and reward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, phoboz said:

Thank you for being patient. Some more time will be needed before the game is final

Please, take your time.  We've seen far too many releases in the last few years that were not properly finished and were released half-baked.

So far your game is looking great! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, youxia said:

In roguelikes players utilise their imagination. And good procedural algorithms can produce amazing results.

In my opinion, it's a mix of both. You have the randomness, and the lack of story driven gameplay, which leaves that part to the imagination of the player. However, some tools are given to guide your imagination, like the type of monsters you encounter, the items you find, the spells you learn, how and when to use these, and (especially in this game) the different environments of the levels you travel to...

...each time you play, you get a new kind of adventure...

Sometimes you start with very good pre-conditions, then everything runs smoothly. Sometimes you start with poor pre-conditions, then you are in for quite a challenge.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phoboz said:

In my opinion, it's a mix of both. You have the randomness, and the lack of story driven gameplay, which leaves that part to the imagination of the player. However, some tools are given to guide your imagination, like the type of monsters you encounter, the items you find, the spells you learn, how and when to use these, and (especially in this game) the different environments of the levels you travel to...

Oh, totally agree. I was thinking more about the trend where people dislike procgen in general and advocate the "handcrafted" approach, ie ready made levels. But that's what we have traditional RPGs for.

This complaint is quite often encountered these days because of the flood of roguelites. The old guard is often not happy about these design choices.

2 hours ago, phoboz said:

Sometimes you start with very good pre-conditions, then everything runs smoothly. Sometimes you start with poor pre-conditions, then you are in for quite a challenge.

I'd say that in a really good RL you never know what's going to happen :) Eg in Linley's Dungeon Crawl, which I'm addicted to, you can start as a high-INT character, with some nice Fire magic to boot and yet still die within 20 moves (or less). And yes, sometimes the best fun is struggling for survival with a lame kobold, then finding some awesome gear or getting a boon from your god  and turning the tables on the "bad" guys (well, actually in LDC you often play as the bad guy yourself ;)