IGNORED

Your Lynx "Games to Play" List

PFG 9000

If you're like me, you've got a running list of Lynx games you've been wanting to put some good time into.  Maybe you're waiting for a rainy day.  Maybe you just don't have much time for gaming. I've played just about all the commercial titles and most homebrews at least briefly, but there are plenty that I want to come back to because they clearly have some good depth.

What's on your list?  And what's keeping you from it?

Here is my list:

Battle Wheels

Blue Lightning

Championship Rally

Cybervirus

Gauntlet: the Third Encounter

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden III

Roadblasters

Rygar

Xenophobe

Zaku

Zarlor Mercenary

• Like 1

I know what you mean, im a "saver" of games.  But i tend to not play them at all until a rainy day.  Same with tv shows and other media.  I have a copy of Double Dragon and also Lemmings for Lynx..... saving them for eventual rainy day type self-reward.  I dont just buy a game and play it immediately.  I have a physical accumulated backlog of around 40-50 carts for various systems--some probably 4 years old (in my possession).  Have Waterworld for Virtual Boy and Zombie Nation for NES.  Saving them all, along with a lot more common (and probably better) carts and discs.

I think anticipation is a more delicious sensation than virtually anything*.

*beer and pizza, and that first cup of coffee, excluded**.

**maybe

• Like 1

Just recently tried Ninja Gaiden and Gaiden III.  My gosh, those fighter games are hard for me to figure out.   The figures are so small it's hard to figure out how to control them.  Then again, I have never been very good at fighter games.  Too much D-pad movement.  I think a McWill modded screen (better resolution) would help.  Cybervirus is visually stunning, but hard as hell. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Gaiden III.  

Ugh. Such an ugly-looking game, and I hate the sfx as well. I quite like Ninja Gaiden, but this "sequel" is one of the worst in the library for me.

All of my games in my "gaming queue" have been there for decades, like when you throw the same tiles up the Klax board on higher levels, in the hope that you don't have to play them and the round will end first. Do I actually have to play these? Can't I just pretend that I already have?

World Class Fussball

European Soccer Challenge (still haven't bought it!)

Hockey (although I should, just to say that I got to represent the wonderful Manitoban city of "Winepeg")

NFL Football

22 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

If you're like me, you've got a running list of Lynx games you've been wanting to put some good time into.  Maybe you're waiting for a rainy day.  Maybe you just don't have much time for gaming. I've played just about all the commercial titles and most homebrews at least briefly, but there are plenty that I want to come back to because they clearly have some good depth.

What's on your list?  And what's keeping you from it?

Here is my list:

Xenophobe

Now that's just criminal. The Lynx port is the best available on an Atari system, and the best home version in my opinion. There are what -- nine or so characters to play -- (even though I always seem to end up as Mr. Eeez) and heck -- you can even play as the Snotterpillar when comlynxed! And it has Festors! It's an awesome and amazing game.

You actually have only one crappy and one mediocre game on your list -- the rest range from good to outstanding. Time to get playing! :)

On 10/26/2020 at 8:52 PM, PFG 9000 said:

Xenophobe

Oddly that is the only title I am missing from my complete set of Lynx games.  

On my list to play are:

Road Blasters

Zaku

Dracula

As mentioned by someone before, waiting for a rainy or snowy day.

On 10/27/2020 at 6:33 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Now that's just criminal. The Lynx port is the best available on an Atari system, and the best home version in my opinion. There are what -- nine or so characters to play -- (even though I always seem to end up as Mr. Eeez) and heck -- you can even play as the Snotterpillar when comlynxed! And it has Festors! It's an awesome and amazing game.

You actually have only one crappy and one mediocre game on your list -- the rest range from good to outstanding. Time to get playing! :)

I know!  It IS criminal, and I'm guilty as charged.  I've had a Lynx for something like 30 years, and I've still barely scratched the surface of Xenophobe.  I'm also a massive fan of the Alien franchise.

Just out of curiosity, which games are the mediocre and crappy ones?  I'm guessing Gauntlet and Ninja Gaiden III?  I've spent a few hours on NGIII, but I'm a huge NG fan and would like to beat it someday.  I haven't beaten the NES NGIII either, but I've beaten the first two NES NG games a few times.

I like the comparison to Klax.  I have a massive backlog of games to play, and it gets longer way faster than I can keep up with it.  I didn't even put the sports titles on my list, because I don't plan to ever put much time into them.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:26 PM, joeatari1 said:

Dracula

Dracula is pretty solid on the Lynx.  It's a totally unique game, exclusive to the Lynx.  Some parts are a little annoying, but it's an enjoyable experience overall, and it has some of the best atmosphere on the Lynx.  And once you've figured out the earlier parts, it's not too tough to do the whole game in one sitting.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

I know!  It IS criminal, and I'm guilty as charged.  I've had a Lynx for something like 30 years, and I've still barely scratched the surface of Xenophobe.  I'm also a massive fan of the Alien franchise.

Just out of curiosity, which games are the mediocre and crappy ones?  I'm guessing Gauntlet and Ninja Gaiden III?  I've spent a few hours on NGIII, but I'm a huge NG fan and would like to beat it someday.  I haven't beaten the NES NGIII either, but I've beaten the first two NES NG games a few times.

I like the comparison to Klax.  I have a massive backlog of games to play, and it gets longer way faster than I can keep up with it.  I didn't even put the sports titles on my list, because I don't plan to ever put much time into them.

Yes, I really don't like Ninja Gaiden III, and Gauntlet: the Third Encounter is just really underwhelming. I love Gauntlet, but this is just a meh dungeon crawler without the monster generators.

@gilsaluki Sorry to hear you're having trouble with CyberVirus! One of the tricky parts in balancing that game was the number of enemies versus the ammo you carry. Note that you can often find ammo or health packs lying on the ground close to other objectives. Read the briefings carefully (including mission failed messages) to give you occasional hints. You could also try a cheat to give you full ammo on every mission or stealth armor on every mission. Also you can press Opt 1 at the briefing screen to skip to the next set of missions (the "#1" for each group of missions).

• Like 1