IGNORED

Blocking emulation use?

I know there's a way to lockout a program for use on the SD cart with a loop (not that I'm wanting or needing to for the SD) but is there a way to detect/lockout emulator use? (also not that I want to) but in a single demo use case, need to, due to how it works and timing issues.

Instead of trying to create two different versions, which would be overly time consuming, it's just easier to block the emulator altogether forcing use on real hardware and as a result, is more of a quality concern.

If someone quickly/easily knows how I would accomplish this off the top, the info would be appreciated. If not, I'll see if I can figure something else out.

Thanks!

In that case, I wouldn't recommended blocking emulators completely, because future emulators may be able to run your program correctly.

I think it would be better to add a warning screen, something like "If this program doesn't run correctly in your emulator, try it on real hardware.".

Also, if the issue is timing-related due to the use of delay loops, using timers or VBL counting should allow it to work correctly both on emulators and real hardware.

Otherwise, I've got a few ideas (untested) ideas to detect emulators, but I'd rather not discuss them publicly for obvious reasons :)

• Like 1

I suppose I'm more anal than that when it comes to just putting it out there and then having the end result be a complete mess, warning or not, I couldn't do it. Though there may not be a choice in the end.

I'll try your counter/timer suggestions to see if I can get something non-wonky working from that instead, thanks!