IGNORED

Geneve Questions!

dhe

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

"Ramdisk speed"? There is at least an upper bound to the data rate: 125 kbit/s (single density) and 250 kbit/s (double density). It won't get faster from a floppy for sure.

This was -probably- a loose speed comparison from when the Geneve boot EPROM used the horizon ROS/DSR and low-level opcodes to load the OS. Whether this was the JPH EPROM or some other setup, I could not be certain.  The most current 0.98 EPROM code replaced the DSRLNK/DSR routines with direct CRU access.  It is certainly wishful thinking that a floppy could approach ramdisk speed with the latter ramdisk routines implemented. (Edit:  still, seeing jumpboot for the first time is quite impressive if all you know is the slow floppy boot!)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

If the existing FORTHs don't have all the XOPs implemented, it would be possible to write FORTH words to do them, using the FORTH assembler vocabulary. For instance, add more ways to allocate memory pages from the system, etc.

I am not familiar with either McCann or Bill Sullivan (FDOS)' FORTH. 

I've gotten back up speed writing in fbFORTH for the 4A (and other systems), but I do not have a FORTH for Geneve here. 

Everything from McCann as far as Forth for the Geneve is already on whtech including all the documentation as well as his package.  It is three very large archives at:

http://ftp.whtech.com/Geneve/mdos/forth/

It's also likely on the MAME image under the bootdisk1.hd image under the FORTH directory.  The DIS/VAR 80 files aren't there, but they are up on whtech to be grabbed.

Beery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

It is certainly wishful thinking that a floppy could approach ramdisk speed with the latter ramdisk routines implemented.

It could be interesting to calculate the shortest possible transfer time. To consider: Time between a sector and the next sector, head step time, rotational period 200ms, etc. The HFDC reads sectors directly into its on-board memory, but you have to download the sector contents from the card later; the WD cards cannot buffer sector contents.

1 hour ago, BeeryMiller said:

Everything from McCann as far as Forth for the Geneve is already on whtech including all the documentation as well as his package.  It is three very large archives at:

I cannot unpack these archives correctly, at least by my TIImageTool. Could be that the failure is on my side, of course. 4THDOC1A is broken, 4THDOC1B allows unpacking, but some files are broken, and same for 4THPGM10.

Do you have unpacked versions?

Side note: I uploaded the GenASM docs to the Geneve.new folder.

[Edit: I do have a bug in TIMT; the archive table got an overflow when I tried to open 4THDOC1A. Still, most of the files don't open. I'll check.]

Edited by mizapf

18 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I cannot unpack these archives correctly, at least by my TIImageTool. Could be that the failure is on my side, of course. 4THDOC1A is broken, 4THDOC1B allows unpacking, but some files are broken, and same for 4THPGM10.

Do you have unpacked versions?

Side note: I uploaded the GenASM docs to the Geneve.new folder.

I used the 7.2a version of TIDIR and had no problem with any of the files.

Here is a zip file with the individual files in v9t9 format.

MDOS-FORTH.zip

• Like 2

Bump for poor Dan:

First Question - What's the latest release of MDOS (GeneveOS)?

Looking on WHTech.com - I see a directory called Geneve and Geneve.new.

Geneve.new has MDOS - now recommended to be called GeneveOS - to remove association with MyARC. -

Geneve has also MDOS 6.7RC2 - Was MDOS 6.7 ever released?

11 minutes ago, dhe said:

Bump for poor Dan:

First Question - What's the latest release of MDOS (GeneveOS)?

Looking on WHTech.com - I see a directory called Geneve and Geneve.new.

Geneve.new has MDOS - now recommended to be called GeneveOS - to remove association with MyARC. -

Geneve has also MDOS 6.7RC2 - Was MDOS 6.7 ever released?

I think @InsaneMultitasker identified some kind of issue with 6.7 RC2, so I would say 6.50 would be the recommended version.  

I don't think MDOS when it boots calls itself GeneveOS.  I suspect the directory name just makes it easier to find the operating system, MDOS Vx.xx

Beery

6.50 is the latest official, stable release.  6.70RC2 is the latest test release, with a number of fixes for SCSI users in particular.  6.70RC2 and the test 7.00 may share a SCSI corruption issue, though it is not  proved or disproved.

I'll spare everyone the litany of setbacks associated with 7.00. Maybe that version number is cursed and we should skip it.  I  know that @BeeryMiller and a few others would like to test the large horizon ramdisk code so my goal for the holidays is to figure a way to get upstairs to pull together all the bits and pieces.  (The only other program I'm currently working on is the Infocom interpreter, mostly because it is 'small' enough for me to maintain the necessary mental code cohesion without relearning what I did each week).

As for the name... many of us still call it MDOS so there is and will be linkage between MDOS and Geneve OS going forward.

A little off topic of  MDOS, but in the manual from like eons ago, this is mentioned.

"MYARC 128K, 256K, and 512K cards can be used to expand your computer's memory significantly. Using a single 512K memory expansion card, you could boost your available addressable memory to 1 megabyte".

Can the S.A.M.S card be used in the PEB Along with the Geneve 9640 card?

Or does it have to be removed?

It's my only memory card, in which I write programs for on the ti-99.

BUT if I can't use it . So long...sams

SAMS memory access isn't supported by MDOS/Geneve.

For memory expansion, you can add and additional 32K static chip (stacked) - if not already done.

Heavily Modify a Myarc 512K Card.

Or if you are luck enough to find one a Horizon Memex Card.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

As for the name... many of us still call it MDOS so there is and will be linkage between MDOS and Geneve OS going forward.

Who else has an operating system with two names? ?

I'm really torn between GeneveOS and MDOS. I think that "GeneveOS" deserves a chance ... but "MDOS" obviously still sounds more catchy in many people's ears. I have some sympathies with GeneveOS, in fact. As you once said, MDOS is a bit dated, referring to the origins at Myarc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

I used the 7.2a version of TIDIR and had no problem with any of the files.

MDOS-FORTH.zip 349.73 kB · 2 downloads

I've been searching for the bug for some hours now ... with no success so far. The problem is that the LZW decoder gets a key that is nonsense: The lookup table contains 2571 entries at some point of time, and that key number is 3385. It may request a key 2572, which is then created, but 3385 is clearly wrong. After that, things take a dive downward, more invalid keys, and finally the table gets an overflow. So the table was not too small, it was the data that broke the decoding, as it seems.

As you said that you were able to read it in TIDIR, I started Archiver4 in GeneveOS (by EXEC13) and tried to unpack the archive. Yes ... and Archiver locks up right at the file FORTH_04 where TIImageTool got into trouble. I also tried Archiver III ... with the same result.

Try to unpack FORTH_04 on your Geneve or TI. Something is wrong with these archives, I am quite sure.

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Who else has an operating system with two names? ?

I'm really torn between GeneveOS and MDOS. I think that "GeneveOS" deserves a chance ... but "MDOS" obviously still sounds more catchy in many people's ears. I have some sympathies with GeneveOS, in fact. As you once said, MDOS is a bit dated, referring to the origins at Myarc.

Let's give it a third name!  Swan OS?   :)  

To me, "MDOS" is like an old, comfortable leisure suit:  it is dated and it fits but you might get funny looks.

Abbreviating Geneve OS isn't as catchy and pronouncing "GOS" as "Gee-Oh-Ess" comes perilously close to the C64's GEOS.   However... "Geneve OS" and "Geneve Operating System" and "Geneve 9640 Operating System" are more descriptive and lend more 'weight' to the name.  Certainly these were factors we considered when compiling the 'distribution permitted' OS release disk. 

I've long considered a historical nod like, "Geneve Operating System v7.00  (MDOS)" to bridge the gap without saying anything about MDOS in any future documentation.  I think we'll stay on the Geneve OS path for now.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

It's also likely on the MAME image under the bootdisk1.hd image under the FORTH directory.  The DIS/VAR 80 files aren't there, but they are up on whtech to be grabbed.

Beery

Does anybody know what these files are made with?

The DOC files seem to be non ascii except for the file name.  ???

Wonderful example of the problems archivists face with digital media. :) 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TheBF said:

Does anybody know what these files are made with?

The DOC files seem to be non ascii except for the file name.  ???

Wonderful example of the problems archivists face with digital media. :) 

They are probably ARCed files. You can double-click them in TI99Dir and copy them from there with “Copy file(s)”, view with “View file”, etc

...lee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GDMike said:

Just not "goose" .. what happened to the"9640" is it tossed? 

We need a poll for os name.?

I like "GDOS" myself. Easy to relate

16 hours ago, mizapf said:

I once proposed some more names like "GenOS" or "GeneOS", but we kept "GeneveOS". ?

How about "Untitled Goose OS"? :D

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1