IGNORED

Major Havoc USB controller

pboland

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2021 at 1:29 PM, negative1 said:

how is this coming along.

would be interesting to put this in the new arcade 1up Tempest machine eventually

for major havoc.

later

I will be focusing on this in February. It takes time to print out the parts and I still have to purchase more mice PCBs, but February will be the month for these controllers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaveFB said:

Hello - I'm late to this discussion BUT I would take any color.  I'm a Major Havoc nut.  The hours spent enjoy this games is some of my best gaming hours.  

Hi DaveFB,

I've got you down for one controller with green roller.

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, negative1 said:

Just checking back to see how things are going.

Any progress.

later

Slow. I had some issues with my 3D printer and I have to reorder/spec some new parts as the ones I was wanting are no longer available. My new target is April. Sorry for the delay guys.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, pboland said:

Slow. I had some issues with my 3D printer and I have to reorder/spec some new parts as the ones I was wanting are no longer available. My new target is April. Sorry for the delay guys.

Parts finally came in. Obviously I'm not making the April time line.  I started working on them just this week. I have decided to officially name the controller "Master Havoc USB wheel controller". I'm also playing with the idea of printing up an official shipping box. I've made a few tests:

MH_wheel_controller.thumb.jpg.23d8fec2f149936b11819da50a2f86fe.jpg

Anyway, there are a total of 10 interested people for this controller. I have the parts to make 12 and the ability to make more in the future. I'm guessing a few more weeks and I will be sending out messages to those interested people. Stay tuned...

• Like 4

Things are finally starting to move along. I'm probably still 2+ weeks out. I still have to:

- Calibrate/test each controller

- Make/print the mounting templates

- Assemble the mounting hardware

- Print up a few more boxes

- Put a video together showing it in action

All twelve units are now accounted for!

When I started out on this project I was trying to make a more cost effective Major Havoc roller controller that would easily work with MAME. It wasn't as easy as I though it would be (a lot of trial and error), but I think I've achieved what I set out to do. The price for this controller is going to be $75.00 plus shipping (includes hook-ups for two buttons). To put that in perspective, that's a quarter of the price of the current offerings for a controller like this. I will be contacting every person on my list when I'm ready to ship. After that, I guess I will start a new list. :)

For now here's a picture I took of all the assembled Master Havoc USB wheel controller units:

MH_layout.thumb.jpg.c97b8ffb3fab60fb6493da0c18bd709c.jpg

Yes, that's 13 units. One is an extra for myself. I personally like the "Red" controller. So as you guys can see, one person did want a controller with a different colored wheel. Unfortunately, nobody wanted a "Black" wheel.

So, more to come...

• Like 5

On 5/15/2021 at 8:25 AM, pboland said:

Things are finally starting to move along. I'm probably still 2+ weeks out. I still have to:

- Calibrate/test each controller

- Make/print the mounting templates

- Assemble the mounting hardware

- Print up a few more boxes

- Put a video together showing it in action

All twelve units are now accounted for!

When I started out on this project I was trying to make a more cost effective Major Havoc roller controller that would easily work with MAME. It wasn't as easy as I though it would be (a lot of trial and error), but I think I've achieved what I set out to do. The price for this controller is going to be $75.00 plus shipping (includes hook-ups for two buttons). To put that in perspective, that's a quarter of the price of the current offerings for a controller like this. I will be contacting every person on my list when I'm ready to ship. After that, I guess I will start a new list. :)

For now here's a picture I took of all the assembled Master Havoc USB wheel controller units:

MH_layout.thumb.jpg.c97b8ffb3fab60fb6493da0c18bd709c.jpg

Yes, that's 13 units. One is an extra for myself. I personally like the "Red" controller. So as you guys can see, one person did want a controller with a different colored wheel. Unfortunately, nobody wanted a "Black" wheel.

So, more to come...

Great. Glad to hear about the progress, and looking forward to it.

later

• 1 month later...

Units ready to sell. I just sent out messages to all on the current want list. Please check your PM's

Please keep in mind that I'm only able to offer you (at this time) the quantity that you originally asked for. So, if you wanted one, one is all I have ready for you. If you want more I will have to wait and see if a person or two doesn't wish to purchase or put you on the next run of units.

Thanks

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pboland,

Got my controller yesterday. Had time to test it out with a few games. Also, with some spinner games.

It is excellent in build quality, nice and heavy. The roller spins very freely.

Thanks again, and excellent job on it, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good replacement.

I have not tested wiring up any buttons to it yet though.

later

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 9:03 PM, pboland said:

Check your PM's.

I can't seem to locate the price, if you are still making these. Also, do you know a straightforward way to make these so you can switch from X- to Y-axis on PC or the wiring itself? Do you need to solder a switch with wires to x contact and alternate to y contact, with common on switch to the common contact on pcb.

6 hours ago, Swami said:

I can't seem to locate the price, if you are still making these.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:25 AM, pboland said:

The price for this controller is going to be $75.00 plus shipping (includes hook-ups for two buttons). To put that in perspective, that's a quarter of the price of the current offerings for a controller like this...

I don't currently have any for sale, but I am starting a new list of interested people. Let me know if you would like to be on that list.

6 hours ago, Swami said:

Also, do you know a straightforward way to make these so you can switch from X- to Y-axis on PC or the wiring itself?

No. The controller is nothing more than a standard optical mouse PCB. The optical portion of the board is centered to the direction wheel on the X axis.

6 hours ago, Swami said:

Do you need to solder a switch with wires to x contact and alternate to y contact, with common on switch to the common contact on pcb.

I have no idea and I have no plans to include any such option. Off the top of my head I can't even think of a game that would need the y axis except maybe PONG? I have a feeling that Mame would just translate the X axis movement to Y movement anyway. Don't know for sure, just thinking off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, pboland said:

I don't currently have any for sale, but I am starting a new list of interested people. Let me know if you would like to be on that list.

No. The controller is nothing more than a standard optical mouse PCB. The optical portion of the board is centered to the direction wheel on the X axis.

I have no idea and I have no plans to include any such option. Off the top of my head I can't even think of a game that would need the y axis except maybe PONG? I have a feeling that Mame would just translate the X axis movement to Y movement anyway. Don't know for sure, just thinking off the top of my head.

Not many. Pong and a couple breakout type games. I can substitute a regular trackball in those rare instances, but just wondering. 

Basically, the new Intellivision company releases a demo of their breakout port for pc, but the paddle moves vertically. I think they intended it to be used with a mouse, but I was trying to see if I could get it to work with my spinner and never got anywhere.