IGNORED

TRS-80 Model 4 versus Model 12

MHaensel

The TRS-80 model 4 and model 12 both came out in 1983. In terms of hardware: 4 MHz Z80, similar amounts of RAM, similar display, CP/M and TRSDOS compatible. But the 4 was half the price!

Plus points for the 12:

• Slightly more RAM
  • 1.25MB floppy drives
  • Could be expanded into a model 16 (for $1499!)
  • Very good CPU support chips - I don't know how the 4 compares

Was a 12 that much better than the 4? Am I missing something obvious?

* Retail price shortly after release for a two-disk model: 12 = $3999, 4 = $1999. Compared in the RSC-10 catalog.

The Model 12 was a completely different architecture and class of machine compared to the Model 4.  Yes, they had similar looking specifications in base configuration.  However, the Model 12 was the replacement for the Model II so it would run all Model II programs, including a rich library of CP/M operating systems and software.  In the Model 12 you had access to much greater storage space both in floppy drives and hard drives.  As you mentioned it also provided an upgrade path to Model 16 specifications which allowed you run XENIX or CP/M-68K with 100s of K of RAM.

The question for a buyer in 1983 would be: can I or do I want to live in the Model I/III/4 ecosystem or do I need the additional richness and business focus found in the Model II/16 ecosystem.  Looking at the software available for each platform and the needs of the business would dictate the system to buy.

• Like 5