IGNORED

PS 5 unboxing

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They went a full generation ahead in terms of storage, using the m.2 form factor for internal SSD sticks the size of chewing gum!

I have one myself in my PC; it's 2 terabytes if you can believe it.

As of this post, the slot is purposely inactive until the folks at Sony not only enable it via an update, but possibly catalog a list of drives they feel is up to the speed of the SSD chips on the PS5 motherboard.

Edited by JFD62780
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JFD62780 said:

As of this post, the slot is purposely inactive until the folks at Sony not only enable it via an update, but possibly catalog a list of drives they feel is up to the speed of the SSD chips on the PS5 motherboard.

Correct.  Rumor is they will activate it this summer via an update.    There are a couple of drives on the market now that are believed to be good candidates for PS5, but Sony hasn't confirmed yet.

17 hours ago, zzip said:

Correct.  Rumor is they will activate it this summer via an update.    There are a couple of drives on the market now that are believed to be good candidates for PS5, but Sony hasn't confirmed yet.

Hopefully, you're thinking of the WD_BLACK SN850 series of drives, the successor of the 2 terabyte SN750 that's in my system as the main disk (the HDD slot is the secondary) .

2 hours ago, JFD62780 said:

Hopefully, you're thinking of the WD_BLACK SN850 series of drives, the successor of the 2 terabyte SN750 that's in my system as the main disk (the HDD slot is the secondary) .

Yeah that's one.   The Samsung 980pro is mentioned as a possible candidate as well.

But the prices of these things..    $400 for 2Tb is as much as the console itself!