IGNORED

Space Harrier Work in Progress

Sheddy

That scrolling ground / color cycling effect -- it is used in lots of forward scrolling classic games.  

How do you pull that off, Sheddy?  Do you use DLI's and change the bg color on each?

That's it exactly. Just DLIS changing the background colour.

There's a very simple 3 frame loop animation on their positions to give the impression of forward movement and then the colours swap over to continue the illusion of movement - just like a disco light rope/chaser lights.......Hmm....That explanation sounds more complicated than it really is:

Imagine something going from right to left instead, 000 and ||| are the colours:

000|||000|||000

00|||000|||000|

0|||000|||000|| ....swap colours

|||000|||000|||

||000|||000|||0

|000|||000|||00 ....swap colours again

000|||000|||000 ....just keep on going!....

Goochman,

I'll be honest - I don't like the look of either of the green colours for Uriah, but now its been pointed out I do see what you're talking about.

:idea:

Maybe changing the man's colours would look better? (although it won't match the colours of the man when he's on the other stages so well)

What do other people think about the colour schemes?

post-1211-1060430511_thumb.png

I know someone already asked this but I will again :)

If you could lighten up the Uriah it would work ok - but the man and Uriah colors are the same -

Otherwise some sort of color change for the player would be OK for me - esp since it will only be on these stages.

Here's the problem:

There aren't that many colours to choose from to give things their own unique colours.

What we have at the moment is two standard 4 colour atari screens on top of each other to give 8 colours plus some "mixing" colours where pixels overlap. The choices in the current palette are in the pic below.

You've got screen A and its colours at the top

then in the middle, screen B

and then + at the bottom is the result of mixing the A and B colours

I should point out that where black mixes with another colour you get the impression of a darker version of that colour (surprise!). But if you just use a colour on it's own (ie with a "transparent" colour), you will get a strange seethrough semi-transparent version of the colour - that's why I have black available on both the A and B screens. The outlined boxes are the representations of the "transparent" or "background" colour, not white.

The enemy is flicker in this arrangement - which happens when you get different brightnesses of colours on the A and B screens. For example any of the colours and black flickers worse than say, grey and green - because the grey and the green are the same brightness, but black has no brightness at all. (This is why I cannot increase the brightness of the colours too much, or the flicker because of the contrast with the black becomes worse and worse.)

If someone can come up with a better palette with some more interesting mixing (based on the same amount of colours - 4 per screen) - maybe we can do better?

post-1211-1060443411_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the question - but the only news is that it hasn't completely stopped and I have been working on it again for a few months now.

I put a small update on my website last month (or was it the month before - my doesn't time fly by!)

Progress is slow (I'm at the end of redoing Stage 2 now) - but at least something is happening.

I did a pretty major rewrite when I decided to move over to having it cartridge based.

All the graphics drawing code changed. Also I've been redrawing all the graphics to be a more faithful to the original (well, as near as the A8 can be in my non-artistic hands)

I'm not releasing any more code, but I will probably do a movie clip now I've figured a format that can do the interlace without looking absolutely terrible (Xvid). I hope people will think the rewrite is worthwhile. There's some sweet features I'm very pleased with (OK I'm a bit biased!) like parallax scrolling and samples playing while everything else is still going on.

the sample playback routine interests me' date=' have you developed this yourself?

[/quote']

Yep, it's something I've been tinkering with for a while. I was rather surprised that it worked OK in the end, as there are a lot of timing issues when using IRQs...but the tinkering eventually paid off.

The original demo keeps the screen on and moves the player/missiles slowly but does nothing else when a sample is being played.

The new code puts a limit on what can be done in the VBI (moving the man up/down at 60fps is too much), but apart from that, the main code loop can carry on uninterrupted (well it is interrupted, but you know what I mean!)

I'm not releasing any more code, but I will probably do a movie clip now I've figured a format that can do the interlace without looking absolutely terrible (Xvid). I hope people will think the rewrite is worthwhile. There's some sweet features I'm very pleased with (OK I'm a bit biased!) like parallax scrolling and samples playing while everything else is still going on.

You may need to install the XviD Codec if you haven't already got it. But here's a clip of Stage 2 :!: Dial-up users beware - it's nearly 6MB (and it won't stream either :? )

.. may we see some screenshots to see how you've updated?

sure :) - I'll put some on the web site soon

OK - some new pics are up on my www site

Thanks very much Tezz :)

Look forward to seeing your progress with Bubble Bobble (I notice yours got a mention in RetroGamer mag this month - they had a big article on Bubble Bobble 8) )

You may need to install the XviD Codec if you haven't already got it. But here's a clip of Stage 2  :!:  Dial-up users beware - it's nearly 6MB (and it won't stream either  :? )

:o

This is incredible!!!

Please tell me the 8-bit is putting out the sound...then again don't tell me that...then again...I gotta know. Is that a dubbed in sound from the arcade game or is that POKEY?

Look forward to seeing your progress with Bubble Bobble (I notice yours got a mention in RetroGamer mag this month - they had a big article on Bubble Bobble  )
Hope to get some stuff posted soon. Yeah, I hope to get this mag mail order shortly because they don't seem to stock it anywhere up here?