IGNORED

Uridium demo.

shoestring

I'm afraid to call this a WIP, as it's not an easy game to port.

Still, it's been fun dissecting the original game and messing around with MADs to see what I can do on the Atari.

Here's what I have.

* The splash and High Score screen is standard 40x24 text screen with DLI and one display list for each screen, two different character sets for the 8x16 font. It looks horrible in antic 4, so this will do for now.

* Scrolling screen is 4 rows of standard text separated by 20 rows of an antic mode 4 character screen for the playfield. Getting the stars to remain stationary was a PITA.

I'm pretty happy with the scrolling, just as smooth as the original on real hardware. xex is attached.

Uridiump.xex

uridium1.png

uridium2.png

• Like 15

Runs for a while but then hangs in 130XE mode.

I guess there's no game start yet?

How do you plan to do the game sprites?

This game IMO would probably be a good VBXE candidate.

The biggest hurdles though - often these C64 games take up almost all the 64K Ram, 128 vs 256 characters is a pain though VBXE can just use blits to convert character to bitmap.

Also, Uridium relies on the 320 pixel Hscrolling, sadly we only get the 160 res scrolling.

The 320 pixel scrolling in Uridium isn't essential for this game.

It can be done using 160 pixel scrolling without any problems.  

But the game itself isn't worth the hassle.

I'd also appreciate , if people who write some scrolling engine, don't give them "Game names" or "Demo" .

43 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Runs for a while but then hangs in 130XE mode.

It ends once the large text goes past the screen as I haven’t coded the rest of the attract mode yet. 

Most likely will convert this into a VBXE project as I don’t have solutions for several things.

Uridium uses the entire 64kb of memory, that includes the memory under the IO. So keeping this down to 64kb will be impossible as it is, and that’s not even considering requirements for things like masks.. etc.

You picked a fun game to convert, Braybrooks code is pretty intense I believe, still it looks nice and a VBXE version sounds great..

Nearest to the actual game is Noel Daniels Thunderfox, a pretty good clone of it..

Edit: Yes, the scrolling is silky smooth indeed on real hardware...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Despite of the graphics and sound of the original C64 game, wich were the only cause for the game to be created. 

Why do people want to play a game that is aimed to be played in space,  the main protagonist is flying a "Saucer" and hits walls fixed on the enemy ship .  You know, space is 3D ;)

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Despite of the graphics and sound of the original C64 game, wich were the only cause for the game to be created. 

Why do people want to play a game that is aimed to be played in space,  the main protagonist is flying a "Saucer" and hits walls fixed on the enemy ship .  You know, space is 3D ;)

Well, you're flying an airplane in River Raid yet hitting a boat makes you crash?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gury said:

What about Oxygene. It seems good conversion to me.

Youtube link

Another link

A new version, I believe with fixes (can't read German well) was just recently released on the latest ABBUC/Sondermagazin floppy disk/ATR #142/52. I don't know if it's available to the public or just members. I haven't really tried it yet. I loaded it and played for about 30 seconds. It was a more pleasing experience than what I remember from an earlier version I played.

@Mclaneinc , I agree, Thunderfox is about as close as I've seen of a Uridium clone, but maybe the changes to Oxygene will make it a contender. But I'm a fan of all these similar shooters, including Mirax Force and The Last Guardian, etc.

Speaking of shooters, the ABBUC disks have a brand new shooter, I believe maybe from the contest(?) called Last Squadron that looks great, I've had no chance to try it yet as my floppy got boot errors so I have to download the ATR. But it's more like a 1942/Screaming Wings/Tiger Attack or Xevious/Flak as it looks, with constant forward scrolling. More like 1942 type, with planes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Well, you're flying an airplane in River Raid yet hitting a boat makes you crash?

River Raid is from 1982. 

There is a small airplane, needing to fly rather low, to shoot ships. There is gravity, there is limited hardware. So everything is in a range of acceptability.

Uridium is from 1986. 

There is a Saucer flying in Space, the angle of attack can be 360 degree  from all sides. There is no gravity the used hardware is far less limited.  So it makes no sense at all. 

Remember Star Raiders ?

Edited by emkay
  • Confused 1

Why converting/porting games from other platforms in the first place? I don't get it. With emulation you can play the best version anyway. Just create your own special horizontal or vertical scrolling shooter!

Or how about a four way scrolling version of Caverns of Mars? :) Now that would be cool. Remember you read it here first ;) 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ivop said:

Why converting/porting games from other platforms in the first place? I don't get it. With emulation you can play the best version anyway. Just create your own special horizontal or vertical scrolling shooter!

Or how about a four way scrolling version of Caverns of Mars? :) Now that would be cool. Remember you read it here first ;) 

Chasing the C64 is what the Atari Scene keeps alive. It's sad but true. 

Last year we got this:

It was said, the 3D part will evolve in a game. As it seems, it is not C64 likely enough... 

With big C64 games though, VBXE conversion or otherwise, you can usually create an easy memory hole by using the sprite area for something else.

VBXE also has that advantage with versatility of banking.

Used to play this game a fair bit to the point of finishing all the levels.  Like most of Braybrook's games, a pretty polished effort.

2 hours ago, ivop said:

Something to do I suppose, the Spectrum and Amstrad got a version whilst the Atari missed out.

Besides there have been some really good ports recently. Bosconian on the A8 which I've literally spent many hours playing, it's fantastic. There's also Pinball Dreams on the Amstrad CPC, Super Mario and many others.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Delta would be nice but without the border sprite ability it would be a compact screen..

There should be some approaches available to work around that limitation without detracting from the game play too much. Compromises wouldn't be so dramatic compared to say a Galaga port where you have to sacrifice a larger area between enemy ships and the human.

Maybe someone with a lot of time would be interested in coding it ?

• Like 1

Hmmmm,

looks like I do not like most of the available Uridium clones, so far we have these on the A8:

- Astromeda

- Mirax Force

- Oxygene

- The Last Guardian

- Thunderfox

- Vanadium

- Oxygene Be / Oxygene 2

- and one more...

One more: Well, Uridium is also just a clone - a clone of "Dreadnought Factor".

• Like 3