IGNORED

My XBOX SERIES X REVIEW - Testing 4 generations of Xbox games!

Metal Jesus

Microsoft sent me and a bunch of YouTubers, streamers, social media people an Xbox Series X for early review and here are my honest thoughts on it. I have to say, having the ability to play 4 generations of Xbox titles is pretty damn great.  Also the 1TB SSD really is a game changer when it comes to load times. In the video I show how Red Dead Redemption II boots up in 30 seconds on Xbox Series X when compared to almost 1:30 for Xbox One X. I also cover what I like and don't like about the new controller, my thoughts on the Xbox interface, design of the console and more. If you have specific questions, go ahead and ask here and I'll see what I can do!

• Like 6

I have no question before watching but it is nice, if I am understanding this correctly, to see them finally deliver on the promise of true backwards compatibility. To be clear, it is not necessarily important to me, I am not even necessarily convinced it is a good idea if it holds back a system in any way though that does not seem to be the case with the Xbox Series X being the current most powerful system, but past consoles promises of backwards compatibility always seemed half ass or just a means to get one to re-download or buy the titles all over again. If this truly is a case of just inserting the original media you already own and having it play that is cool. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
expand info
  • Like 1

Backwards Compatibility is simple...if you can play it on an Xbox One, it can be played on a Series S/X.

But not all OG & 360 games are playable unless they were made available for the Xbox One, but there's a large library of 360 games that are and they do get improved on the newer systems.

• Like 2

I’m with Metal Jesus.
I’ll wait till Halo Infinite launches before I even consider upgrading from my Xbox One X. Although I do play Red Dead Online almost every day and shorter load times would be nice. ?

• Like 2

It would sure be nice if they would make it 100% compatible with the OG Xbox, to save a bunch of us the hassle of finding the best HDMI solution for our OG Xboxes (LevelHike does pretty good, but not great IMO0.

Is it really such a crime to want to play MechAssault, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Blood Wake, Buffy TVS, and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance in 720p or 1080p?  :)

I know that's dreaming as the OG Xbox is like, super impossible to emulate, and likely would mean a LOT of effort to get a newer system 100% back compat.

But srsly MS, you hook that up, you're going to sell more systems to old geezers like me.  

• Like 1

I would love to see a Review that discusses backwards compatibility on the Series X vs the PS5 of the same games to see which one performs better. I’m sure Digital foundry is already working on that video, but you could beat them to the punch. It could even just be a preference type video not a hard technical data reason type video.

Or just another back compat video that discusses your old favorites on the new systems and what improvements that you like?

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2020 at 7:02 PM, Zeptari1 said:

I’m with Metal Jesus.
I’ll wait till Halo Infinite launches before I even consider upgrading from my Xbox One X. Although I do play Red Dead Online almost every day and shorter load times would be nice. ?

I love my One X, but the Series X makes gaming a better experience in almost every way.  Even One X-enhanced games run better.  some games go from 30 fps to 60 fps.  there's no more framerate hiccups.  games load wicked fast.  even some of the textures are sharper even though both consoles are 4k (less dynamic resolution switching on the Series X).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onlysublime said:

I love my One X, but the Series X makes gaming a better experience in almost every way.  Even One X-enhanced games run better.  some games go from 30 fps to 60 fps.  there's no more framerate hiccups.  games load wicked fast.  even some of the textures are sharper even though both consoles are 4k (less dynamic resolution switching on the Series X).

Never owning a One X I think longer load times and framerate issues would feel very weird to me ;) Guess I am glad I started with the Series X. Everything is incredibly smooth and fast. Loving this console.

• Like 2