IGNORED

Flip Grip Opinions Wanted

thegamezmaster

I guess it really depends on the amount of shmups and compatibles games you own and play on a regular basis.

I've got quite a few myself but haven't bought any new ones recently, and to be honest I haven't used the Flip Grip for quite some time. I don't regret my purchase however because it's nice and cheap, but I must admit I'm lazy; the reason why I prefer the Switch over my PS4 is that I don't have to turn my TV on to start playing... ? Well, I also have to unplug my DualShock4 from my PC, but still. So even though it's not very hard to set up, I'm not sure the gain is worth the effort. But once again, I'm lazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I guess it really depends on the amount of shmups and compatibles games you own and play on a regular basis.

I've got quite a few myself but haven't bought any new ones recently, and to be honest I haven't used the Flip Grip for quite some time. I don't regret my purchase however because it's nice and cheap, but I must admit I'm lazy; the reason why I prefer the Switch over my PS4 is that I don't have to turn my TV on to start playing... ? Well, I also have to unplug my DualShock4 from my PC, but still. So even though it's not very hard to set up, I'm not sure the gain is worth the effort. But once again, I'm lazy.

Thanks and me too!

18 hours ago, thegamezmaster said:

Hello. Looking for people that have one and what do they think of it. Yay or nay? Is it worth it or not. Does it make that much of a difference play vertical? Not sure how it sets up. Thanks for any info good or not!

I took advantage of the eBay "$25 off" coupon a (few?) months back to get one for about $10 total...

It is nice for Pinball and Donkey Kong, but I'll admit I haven't used it for much else.  For playing vertical games, it's nice -- I just wish they had left a power cable hole.

• Like 1

The annoying part of it is having to rotate the screen back to normal for playing on a TV -- that and navigating the main Switch menu sideways. Playing handheld, I think it's a major-verging-on-necessary improvement (do the math on how much bigger your viewing area is). Honestly I haven't used mine much lately, but I have ended up with many more games that support it than I expected to have, both new and old: Demon's Tilt, Namco Museum (Galaga, Pac-man, etc), a couple shmups, even the arcade Contra games. The Namco/Contra collections are nice enough to let you set your display for each game individually, so rotating for one doesn't carry over when you try to play the others. So I'm bound to get back to it sooner or later, and I'm sure I'll get more than my money's worth out of it, if I haven't already. 

tl;dr it's very good if you have any use for it. Surprised that Nintendo didn't make an official one of these.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, thegamezmaster said:

Seems like judging from the replies, not many use it. Just saying. Anyone that does use their a lot or not? Thanks for any info!

It does make it much nicer playing pinball or Donkey Kong -- it's just that it takes a few extra steps, and you can't charge your device while using the FlipGrip.

20 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Like I said, it basically depends on if you're gonna play a lot of "vertical games" to begin with.

That reminds me -- I really dislike the term "TATE mode" -- I'm not entirely sure why various communities have latched on to using that instead of the term vertical.  I know the origin of the term, but it seems a bit odd...

Granted, if you played a lot of Japanese shooters and were used to that being the standard display term in game, I understand it... it just bugs me as being untranslated unnecessarily.

• Like 1