IGNORED

MDOS 7.00 Developer's Version

9640News

1 hour ago, BeeryMiller said:

Tim,

With MDOS 7.00 in normal mode, with DM2K I can NOT copy the first file under the the marked directory (with subdirectories --- aka MDOS source).  It chokes on the first file, as the MDOS directory is not made so it can't copy the file to the TIPI.  This sounds like a limitation of the master DSR in GPL mode.

TIPI level 2 is not passed through at this time, so while you can load and catalog files and perform some operations including SAVE, anything level 2 will fail.  Same problem we have with hfdc, scsi, ide under GPL.  If it weren't for the TI method of searching for DSRs, it would relatively simple to change TI mode to -always- use ROMPAGE mode.  But then we would lose the OS-formatted ramdisk, internal ramdisk, PFM flash, and some other features.  :(

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Is the LOADIMAGE program somewhere here around ?

I want to tinker with SAVEIMAGE, but this makes no sense when the opposite part is not available.

The program was not formally released.  The risk of misuse, accidental or otherwise, was too great at that time. I might still have the program source in my archives.

7 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Just to have it here, my request to remove the "Clear Screen" effect (CLS) from the VER command

I'll add it to the list to review.  What is the reason for removing the CLS effect?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

The program was not formally released.  The risk of misuse, accidental or otherwise, was too great at that time. I might still have the program source in my archives.

I'll add it to the list to review.  What is the reason for removing the CLS effect?

Hi,

yes I did read that about the SAVE/LOADIMAGE so I just asked :)

But it is not important if you don´t have it running. Is there another option for making such a backup (and restore) ?

For the CLS on VER, I often tinker with batchfiiles on PC, and saw me tinkering immediatly when my Geneve was up :)

When you´re sitting at the console and entering VER, what is a very rare situation I think, the the CLS does not matter (to me).

But when I use it in a batch file, to get some information i.e. on boot-up or start of a process,

maybe next to commands like REMAP or ASSIGN, TIME or DIR *SYS (just examples),

then the problem is that you always have to care about that VER CLearS your screan while batch is running,

and that all your output results from before just get lost

If somebody needs a CLS before watching the VERsion, I think there should be no problem to give an explicit CLS in advance

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

For the CLS on VER, I often tinker with batchfiiles on PC, and saw me tinkering immediatly when my Geneve was up :)

I fully agree with Ralf; do it the Unix way - no bells and whistles, do only the job you are supposed to do, and VER is actually not expected to clear the screen. Maybe we will have a more powerful shell for GeneveOS one day, and then the simple commands will become very handy when we want to write scripts.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Ok, a little off conversation, but I heard graphics can be produced using MDOS.

Someone steer me in the rt direction to do so.

I've finished my SNP/SNE project for the year, and I'm heading into Geneve. I'm looking for the best angle for graphics though.

Thx

Graphics are easier with MDOS through the XOP video library.  Calling upon the library opcodes, you can load your registers, and call the routine to get what you want.  Set a video mode with about 5 lines of code.  Draw a line, about 6 lines of code.  Write text on a graphics screen (any mode), about 4 lines of code.

It is a lot simpler using the XOP libraries for DSR, math, keyboad, video, utilities, etc.

Beery

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 6:01 AM, mizapf said:

I fully agree with Ralf; do it the Unix way - no bells and whistles, do only the job you are supposed to do, and VER is actually not expected to clear the screen. Maybe we will have a more powerful shell for GeneveOS one day, and then the simple commands will become very handy when we want to write scripts.

Code has been tested and functions; will assess the code space before committing.  For now: at startup the screen is cleared and the version is displayed; the VER command bypasses the CLS. 

• Like 4

On 11/11/2020 at 7:37 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

My only thought/suggestion is that you check the tipi log for clues.  Will DM2K create a directory on the TIPI if you peform that operation manually?  Are you using DSK0 or TIPI?  I don't know if Fred accounts for the unit number that is missing from the TIPI device name. If the device number is being parsed from the fourth character as is typical, the unit could be wrong.  Conjecture until cause is proved, I suppose. 

I don'w own a TIPI myself but how is it used?

Do you copy to TIPI and is the device name TIP with unit number 'I'  which is >19 ('A' is >11) and low level functions start from what?

(DM2K doesn't like unknown device names)

Or do you copy to DSK0 and the device name is DSK with unit number >00 and low level functions start from >10 (like TI disk controller)

Device names and (first) low level function is hard coded in a table in DM2K. Wanted to make this dynamic (scanning DSRS) but the Myarc harddisk controller has two names and (WDS and DSK) and also two low level function codes >20 and >10 and the Geneve super DSR makes it even worse ... so the only option was a hard coded table.

3 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

I don'w own a TIPI myself but how is it used?

Do you copy to TIPI and is the device name TIP with unit number 'I'  which is >19 ('A' is >11) and low level functions start from what?

(DM2K doesn't like unknown device names)

Or do you copy to DSK0 and the device name is DSK with unit number >00 and low level functions start from >10 (like TI disk controller)

Device names and (first) low level function is hard coded in a table in DM2K. Wanted to make this dynamic (scanning DSRS) but the Myarc harddisk controller has two names and (WDS and DSK) and also two low level function codes >20 and >10 and the Geneve super DSR makes it even worse ... so the only option was a hard coded table.

For level two operations, the TIPI unit number doesn't follow the typical convention of using the 4th character as the unit number (where unit=asciivalue(number)-0x30)).   Here is the wiki entry https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Level2-IO

Also, and this might be related to DSK0 - I have also noticed that sometimes the source path CRU address changes upon completion of some operations. I think it changes to the destination CRU address; I will try to capture the error this weekend.  For example, copying from 1000.WDS1.TEST. to 1800.DSK0.FOLDER1.  sometimes results in the source changing to 1800.WDS1.TEST.  I then have to delete the CRU address to catalog WDS1 again. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

For level two operations, the TIPI unit number doesn't follow the typical convention of using the 4th character as the unit number (where unit=asciivalue(number)-0x30)).   Here is the wiki entry https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Level2-IO

Also, and this might be related to DSK0 - I have also noticed that sometimes the source path CRU address changes upon completion of some operations. I think it changes to the destination CRU address; I will try to capture the error this weekend.  For example, copying from 1000.WDS1.TEST. to 1800.DSK0.FOLDER1.  sometimes results in the source changing to 1800.WDS1.TEST.  I then have to delete the CRU address to catalog WDS1 again. 

What is the advantage of using TIPI instead of DSK0?

The CRU address change is a "rather strange phenomenon".  Hope you can catch this error so that I can fix DM2K.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

What is the advantage of using TIPI instead of DSK0?

The CRU address change is a "rather strange phenomenon".  Hope you can catch this error so that I can fix DM2K.

DM2K Version 3.1, 19-11-2020.  There are two directory-related errors that I encounter with my system.

Hardware:  Geneve, SCSI[1200], HFDC[1000], ramdisks (no dsr, formatted for geneve use), RS232[1300], Myarc FDC[1100], TIPI [1800]. 

Loaded DM2K with ROMPAGE and Editor Assembler cartridge.

1. CRU change error:

Type WDS1. in Src:
DM2k locates CRU, Src: 1000.WDS1., catalog OK.
Select DSK9. folder, press enter to get  Src: 1000.WDS1.DSK9., catalog ok
Select two files to copy
Fctn-6, Copy
Select destination--  Dst: DSK0.NET.
DM2K updates screen with 1800.DSK0.NET.
Copy succeeds.
Use ".." to return to WDS1.
Error message and CRU changed to 1800.  See screenshot:

image.png.5c8e010eeb122c0a80fafd06a23b534a.png

2. There is a second error that happens with devices:

Type WDS1. in Src:
DM2k locates CRU, Src: 1000.WDS1.
Select DSK9. folder, press enter to get  Src: 1000.WDS1.DSK9.
Select two files to copy
Fctn-6
Dst: SCS2.
DM2K updates screen with 1200.SCS2.
Copy succeeds.
Use ".." to return to WDS1.  

Select DSK9. folder again and press enter

Error message:  Err07: Opendir [file error]

Reselect directory and it works.

(The CRU does NOT change)

• Like 2

Thanks for finding these problems. I will dive into this ;-)

Problem solved.  This was a part of code where I was allready struggling to determine if the CRU address of the SRC device was allready defined or not. There was some uggly hack wich backfired. Now it is clean code ?

New versions can be downloaded from my website https:\\ti99-geek.nl (Dm2k v3.2, flashrom / finalgrom collection and EA V r8)

dm2k_v32.zip

Edited by F.G. Kaal
Problem solved
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

What I would appreciate is, that on DIR the subfolders are listed first.

(Or do I still have to read the manual ?) :)

On a TIPI/PI, file/directory cataloging is determined by the setting you set in PI.CONFIG.

For the rest of devices, if you would use the DIR command just once, you would see the directories are listed first.

Beery

• Like 1

hmm strange, I saw them listed at the end all the time, IIRC. Have to review.

I am tinkering between 5.00 and 6.50 at the moment, to get a bit practise, and to find out about the problem why I cannot mount the flash-drive with 5.00 (6.50 works now, this was due to REMAP, as I wrote some days ago). But no problem/task at all. I am just doing things ;)

One more strange thing is that my RAMDISK is named with "...1401" in the name (I formatted it some weeks ago), but is reported on >1400 with both OSes and both Form-Tools. Not a problem, just interesting, and a good issue to enter and practise some commands. :)

6 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

hmm strange, I saw them listed at the end all the time, IIRC. Have to review.

I am tinkering between 5.00 and 6.50 at the moment, to get a bit practise, and to find out about the problem why I cannot mount the flash-drive with 5.00 (6.50 works now, this was due to REMAP, as I wrote some days ago). But no problem/task at all. I am just doing things ;)

One more strange thing is that my RAMDISK is named with "...1401" in the name (I formatted it some weeks ago), but is reported on >1400 with both OSes and both Form-Tools. Not a problem, just interesting, and a good issue to enter and practise some commands. :)

There is a command that can change the Disk name of the Ramdisk in the manual.  Hint, LABEL.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

but is reported on >1400 with both OSes and both Form-Tools.

With FORM, the label will include 1400 if you formatted the ramdisk as 8-bit; 1401 if you formatted as 16-bit.  The "xxx1" is an internal identifier only.  There are historical and programmatic reasons for this.  

The 8-bit and 16-bit references relate only to how much memory the card can address internally.  Nothing to do with the address bus nor is this 16-bit designation equivalent to the SNUG 16-bit ramdisk designation. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dhe said:

What's the current state of dskx emulation - where a directory on a hard drive emulates a floppy? I know at one point, it sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

The dsk emulation should still work and be available though only with the HFDC.  There are two options:  EMULATE files and DSKx emulation.  The former allows -one- disk image to be emulated at a time, and you must use the MDOS tool (EMULNEW?) to activate it, and then a powerup/warm reset is required to initialize.  The DSK1 folder-based emulation picks up files from the DSK1 folder but is only active under GPL mode.   Extending this support to other devices is a complicated undertaking due to how the DSR handles things internally, though not 'impossible'.  A few others have inquired about this same support, maybe some day ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, F.G. Kaal said:

At your convenience, could you describe the tables and the Geneve super (master) DSR interaction?  Does DM2K test for a Geneve and map in page >BA to determine the peripherals? 

Implementing the GPL-based level 2  (>2x, >8x, >9x) routines in the Geneve DSR is difficult without a rewrite.  The DSR table would need to contain every possible routine for each device.  I've considered writing a dynamic device scan that scans all peripherals during a powerup to create a device lookup within the master DSR; however... there would still be conflicts to resolve with some sort of user-based mapping. And there is no easy way to identify hard-coded addresses (such as used by TIPI)  within such a routine.

• Like 4

On 2/23/2021 at 2:14 PM, dhe said:

What's the current state of dskx emulation - where a directory on a hard drive emulates a floppy? I know at one point, it sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

On the tipi it never emulated a floppy, just provided the directory as the DSK1. device for file io