IGNORED

Popeye 7800

darryl1970

ATARIAGE DAY 2022: FALL EDITION

THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!

image.thumb.png.3585f6774c55df78342c5fb4c134da68.png

Make sure you tune in this Saturday and Sunday to ZeroPage Homebrew for the biggest LIVE UNBOXING and INTERVIEW EVENT OF THE YEAR for Atari Homebrew! ZeroPage Homebrew will be hosting AtariAge Day 2022: Fall Edition celebrating all the newest Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari Jaguar releases!

Saturday Nov 12 & Sunday Nov 13, 2022
LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT (Click for your local time)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

We will be talking LIVE to the developers of TWENTY FOUR GAMES that are hitting the AtariAge Store:

• Blocks (2600) - Jeremiah Knol & Jeff Haber
  • Boulder Dash (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch & Andrew Davie
  • Gorf Arcade (2600) - John Champeau
  • Grizzards (2600) - Bruce-Robert Pocock
  • Lode Runner (2600) - Dion Olsthoorn
  • Oozy the Goo Slime Quest (2600) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • Qyx (2600) - John Champeau
  • RAPTOR (2600) - Andrew Pauley
  • RubyQ (2600) - Silvio Mogno
  • Starovox (2600) - Rayman C.
  • VROOM! (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch
  • Rob 'n' Banks (5200) - Ryan Witmer
  • 2048 (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Attack of the PETSCII Robots (7800) - Mike Saarna
  • Dragon's Havoc (7800) - Todd Furmanski
  • Galaxian Arcade (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Keystone Koppers (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Popeye (7800) - Darryl Guenther
  • Slide Boy in Maze Land (7800) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • UniWarS (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Chaos Engine (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Gods (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Stormbringer (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS EPIC LIVESTREAM!

- James

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Pat Brady said:

Nice interview. I enjoyed the discussions about Bluto vs. Brutus and the non-technical aspects @darryl1970 emphasized in porting.

Thank you. Yesterday was our large family Thanksgiving. I scheduled the time slot for 6p, thinking it was 6p my time. Despite the talk about time zones in the main page, I was too busy to realize that was 9p my time. After two days of cleaning and a house full of people, I was so drained. I am so glad it was enjoyable.

I sent James a message, apologizing for not being on my A-Game. There were other aspects I thought to talk about, but I was too tired to form thoughts. One of those things was how the arcade sprites are interlaced. All monitors were back then, so I assume it was interlaced at a different rate?? It is how they managed to get the effective 640x400 resolution. When I set my camera aperture to 1/30, The Popeye sprite catches different phases of the drawing. My new phone corrects the issue, but my old phone would capture the two phases of the interlaced drawing. I looked it up and I read the interlaced explanation somewhere. Kind of interesting, because the highly detailed sprites go in and out of blockiness.

image.png.652ed66e8ca9529b750f9445fad21677.png

Also, another thing I didn't remember from my youth is that there are bounding boxes when Popeye sprites overlap. Of course, this isn't an issue sprite to playfield, but sprite-to-sprite will block out, just like the 7800 does in 320 mode. This is why Popeye cannot stand in the same place as Brutus when the bucket is over Brutus's head. If you ever play Popeye on MAME, this is a "known bug" reported. MAME does not display the sprites accurately to the arcade. However, if you get the bucket over Brutus's head and try to stand where he is, you'll see what I mean. Above is an example of sprite overlap. It happens so fast, it's rarely noticed.

33 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

IMO, this is the definitive home version of Popeye. Nice to see the collaboration that took place as well. Thanks to everyone involved.

Thank you. I hope everybody is enjoying it, and it lives up to the expectations.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I know I'm being a greedy SOB, but any ideas when these might ship out, Albert? 😁

As presently stated on the front page of the store:

"Please be aware that due to the expected volume in orders, it will take some time to build and ship games. We expect these orders to begin shipping at the end of February, and they will be shipped in the order received. Once we begin shipping, all outstanding orders should go out fairly quickly. We already have all the printed materials for these games (boxes, manuals, labels, posters), so there will be no delays due to those items."

Now, having said that, I will certainly be shipping orders before then, but some games will take longer to get out than others.  I'm trying to be conservative with the statement above.

..Al

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Albert said:

As presently stated on the front page of the store:

"Please be aware that due to the expected volume in orders, it will take some time to build and ship games. We expect these orders to begin shipping at the end of February, and they will be shipped in the order received. Once we begin shipping, all outstanding orders should go out fairly quickly. We already have all the printed materials for these games (boxes, manuals, labels, posters), so there will be no delays due to those items."

Now, having said that, I will certainly be shipping orders before then, but some games will take longer to get out than others.  I'm trying to be conservative with the statement above.

..Al

Totally understood, thanks for this. I didn't see that message as I just went straight to the Popeye order page.

• 1 month later...

I was pretty excited to receive my own, legitimate, copy of Popeye. It was actually kind of a moment to sit with. I saw the game in Portland, but this was real. I think it also hit me that my father missed seeing it by 3 months. He was so close. He would often ask me about it. I know he would have sat and read the instructions from front to back, even though he did that with the rough draft I printed. Thanks to everyone who made this possible! :)

PopeyeArrived_3-8-2023.thumb.jpg.edfdb6acd4d9394f11a75d5342fc3095.jpg  PopeyeBubble_3-8-2023.thumb.jpg.1579db3295e2739d788912c1eea516be.jpg  PopeyeBack_3-8-2023.thumb.jpg.d687b875c62c49ff7343053ccdde028a.jpg  PopeyeFront_3-8-2023.thumb.jpg.5815f0d6de43c7569cba05b8cfce3a0d.jpg  PopeyeUnpacked_3-8-2023.thumb.jpg.faa4c9b0353e5a865ab2d2e38d76c04c.jpg

• Like 23

On 3/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, John Stamos Mullet said:

So does this mean that purchases are shipping soon?

Stephen Colbert Good Luck GIF

I'm actually working on a large batch of Popeye carts today.  It's taking a bit longer to get this large number of games built across all the new games added to the store, and I'm spending a significant portion of time getting them done.  I'll be sending out an update later today to everyone who has outstanding orders.  I am quite eager to get all these games finished and shipped!

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2