IGNORED

Popeye 7800

darryl1970

1 minute ago, Karl G said:

I don't think anything was said about it appearing in the store after the break. It sounds like work on the manual has just begun, and these things can take time. I will definitely be getting a copy when it is available, though. ?

Nothing was said, I was just hoping!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Karl G said:

I don't think anything was said about it appearing in the store after the break. It sounds like work on the manual has just begun, and these things can take time. I will definitely be getting a copy when it is available, though. ?

I still need to work on the manual. With all of the talk about getting the store back open, the current store release batches, and the AtariAge Day coverage on @ZeroPage Homebrew, I may have been a little more relaxed than I'd like to admit. I have to juggle a lot of other things going on in life right now too, so that's made it challenging. I am hoping to knock this out sooner than later.

14 hours ago, bikeguychicago said:

Darryl, 

Will you be offering a ROM version of the full game for purchase or will it be cartridge only? Thanks!

I would not object to a ROM release. I am a big fan of my multi SD-carts, because I like to just turn my systems on and go.  I am also honored that Al approached me about a cartridge, so I don't want to do anything that could result in eBay bootleg carts being made before it hits the AA store.

Did I see mention of possible AA store digital releases in the future? I might have dreamed that. If that's true I would probably want give the AA Store first dibs on handling that, since that would go back to supporting AtariAge and the work that goes into keeping it going.

• Like 11

I would not object to a ROM release. I am a big fan of my multi SD-carts, because I like to just turn my systems on and go.  I am also honored that Al approached me about a cartridge, so I don't want to do anything that could result in eBay bootleg carts being made before it hits the AA store.

Did I see mention of possible AA store digital releases in the future? I might have dreamed that. If that's true I would probably want give the AA Store first dibs on handling that, since that would go back to supporting AtariAge and the work that goes into keeping it going.
I'm not sure if concerto or one of the other flash carts allows you to lock a ROM to a cart, like you can with the Intellivision glad cart. If not, I've seen ROMs where the purchaser's name is embedded into the ROM file itself so, if it does get leaked, you know who leaked it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bikeguychicago said:

I'm not sure if concerto or one of the other flash carts allows you to lock a ROM to a cart, like you can with the Intellivision glad cart. If not, I've seen ROMs where the purchaser's name is embedded into the ROM file itself so, if it does get leaked, you know who leaked it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Yes. I actually purchased INTY DK, DKII, and Ms Pac-Man. They work well on my LTO Flash. (I rarely play INTY. I found a deal I couldn't pass up)

It's pretty slick.

Just now, Muddyfunster said:

I believe there are plans for this

Thanks. I have been running ragged lately, and I didn't know if I was confused. I thought I may have even seen it mentioned on AADay.

Speaking of which, I just watched your interview. I am able to catch up on ZPH, during my lunchtime elliptical. Nice interview. Great game and presentation!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I really hope I can purchase a ROM for this! I really hate to have to dedicate individual POKEY/PokeyONE/PokeyMax chips to a single game, which drives up the price and limits availability. I see that Champ Games is now selling some of their fantastic 2600 homebrews digitally at a very fair price ($20 each, with free demos for most/all of them).

This would be a great thing to bring to 7800 homebrews too. :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

I really hope I can purchase a ROM for this! I really hate to have to dedicate individual POKEY/PokeyONE/PokeyMax chips to a single game, which drives up the price and limits availability. I see that Champ Games is now selling some of their fantastic 2600 homebrews digitally at a very fair price ($20 each, with free demos for most/all of them).

This would be a great thing to bring to 7800 homebrews too. :)

This plus those of us new the 7800 through MiSTer cannot use cartridges. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful work, thank you so much for pouring your time and energy into this.

I searched through the topic thread before writing this, but I didn't see anything about this, so I thought I'd mention it here.  Most of the RCs don't seem to be very happy when run in MAME in conjunction with the XM cart.  Doing so results in a yellow screen displaying: 36.02.40.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.  I doubted this was intentional, so I just wanted to share this discovery.  I found this out because my default method of loading any 7800 game in MAME is:

mame a7800 -cart xm -cart2 popeye.zip

Couldn't get passed that until I ditched the xm portion.  Apologies if this was already known.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, procyon said:

I searched through the topic thread before writing this, but I didn't see anything about this, so I thought I'd mention it here.  Most of the RCs don't seem to be very happy when run in MAME in conjunction with the XM cart.  Doing so results in a yellow screen displaying: 36.02.40.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.  I doubted this was intentional, so I just wanted to share this discovery.  I found this out because my default method of loading any 7800 game in MAME is:

mame a7800 -cart xm -cart2 popeye.zip

Couldn't get passed that until I ditched the xm portion.  Apologies if this was already known.

If you're looking to retain the high score saving feature - which is akin to a HS cart - of the XM module, as the rest of the features of that module is not needed for this game, use this line instead:

mame a7800 -cart hiscore -cart2 popeye.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, procyon said:

Thank you. I "finished" the manual a couple weeks ago, and I sent it to Al. I think there are a few changes he would like to see, but I think he's swamped with the current batch of games. Can't wait to see it in the store. I use A7800 and an old version of MESS, so I never came across the yellow screen.

2 hours ago, Trebor said:

If you're looking to retain the high score saving feature - which is akin to a HS cart - of the XM module, as the rest of the features of that module is not needed for this game, use this line instead:

mame a7800 -cart hiscore -cart2 popeye.zip

Thanks @Trebor!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

Thank you. I "finished" the manual a couple weeks ago, and I sent it to Al. I think there are a few changes he would like to see, but I think he's swamped with the current batch of games. Can't wait to see it in the store. I use A7800 and an old version of MESS, so I never came across the yellow screen.

Thanks @Trebor!

Hey Darryl - Do you know how Al is planning to do the carts? Is this going to be one of those ever-painful BYOP (Bring Your Own POKEY)? Or is he planning on PokeyOne/HOKEY/Something else carts with an FPGA or POKEY-replacement chip?

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Hey Darryl - Do you know how Al is planning to do the carts? Is this going to be one of those ever-painful BYOP (Bring Your Own POKEY)? Or is he planning on PokeyOne/HOKEY/Something else carts with an FPGA or POKEY-replacement chip?

Sorry. I have no idea.

• 1 month later...

Its nice to hear of a possible digital release. My 7800 is always freezing nowdays so I've found myself playing the system via emulation allot more now. I do plan to buy a store release,your work is pretty darn amazing so just owning the CIB version incase I ever decide to grab another working 7800 system.  The game's always been a favorite of mine so yes its a must own for me. But yes,please do a digital release for those of us who have resorted to emulation nowdays. Thanks and well done, the game looks beautiful. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PhoenixMoonPatrol said:

Its nice to hear of a possible digital release. My 7800 is always freezing nowdays so I've found myself playing the system via emulation allot more now. I do plan to buy a store release,your work is pretty darn amazing so just owning the CIB version incase I ever decide to grab another working 7800 system.  The game's always been a favorite of mine so yes its a must own for me. But yes,please do a digital release for those of us who have resorted to emulation nowdays. Thanks and well done, the game looks beautiful. 

I am a fan of multi-carts and emulation myself. I don't know anything about how the digital releases will work. I seem to recall advocating for digital releases about 3 or so years ago on AA. I was really inspired by the protection on Carl Mueller Jr.'s Intellivision ROMs. I think I may have even started the thread. Everything is foggy these days. lol.

Thank you for the kind words also. I am glad you like the game, and I hope the final version exceeds your expectations. I am just waiting my place in line for the next step toward release. :)

• Like 9

7 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

I am a fan of multi-carts and emulation myself. I don't know anything about how the digital releases will work. I seem to recall advocating for digital releases about 3 or so years ago on AA. I was really inspired by the protection on Carl Mueller Jr.'s Intellivision ROMs. I think I may have even started the thread. Everything is foggy these days. lol.

Thank you for the kind words also. I am glad you like the game, and I hope the final version exceeds your expectations. I am just waiting my place in line for the next step toward release. :)

Hi Darryl

A digital release is easy....i pay and you send the final a78 file.....maybe a special note in the code,so if someone tries to sell copies,you can idenrify him.

Cause shipping costs in Corona times are damn high,i would also buy a digital copy

• Like 3

Speaking as someone who has limited physical space and the choice of it being occupied by either hardware or software, hardware usually wins out.  You can't shrink the size of a computer, but you can certainly make software not take up shelf space if it's on an SD card ?

• Like 3

On 5/7/2021 at 9:18 AM, darryl1970 said:

Yes. I actually purchased INTY DK, DKII, and Ms Pac-Man. They work well on my LTO Flash. (I rarely play INTY. I found a deal I couldn't pass up)

It's pretty slick.

Speaking of which, I wish someone would port DKII to the 7800.  It's such a rare upgrade to an arcade game made in the modern era by a "homebrewer"  Or at least something new but added to an arcade game as a kind of "plus" version while still keeping the look and feel of the original.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, christo930 said:

Speaking of which, I wish someone would port DKII to the 7800.  It's such a rare upgrade to an arcade game made in the modern era by a "homebrewer"  Or at least something new but added to an arcade game as a kind of "plus" version while still keeping the look and feel of the original.

DK 2??

Oh....i know someone.....?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, christo930 said:

Absolutely.  I had one of these kits in a Donkey Kong that I had years ago, and it's a really great update to the original game.  It's difficult to accurately explain exactly how far it goes beyond being just a hack: it really does add to the original game beautifully.  If anyone wanted to take on a homebrew version, I'd be in line for a cartridge (and, hopefully, digital release as well).

• Like 1