IGNORED

Excuses for covering up ones programming mistakes and shortcomings.

Omega-TI

• 2 weeks later...

I recall an internal meeting at my work, back around the year 2000, and we were complaining that our software guys couldn't release a software package that didn't have "big" bugs in it...

Not the "hey, if you do this and then do that, then an obscure bug is discovered".  

I mean, you install the software and it just doesn't work at all kind of big bugs.... Why are they even releasing it at that point?

In all seriousness, the head of the software dept said, "We do that for job security"

They weren't around much longer :) 

• Haha 4

My favorite:   "That's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Or the Bill Gates approach of blaming the user:

"There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant number of users want fixed.... If you really think there's a bug you should report a bug. Maybe you're not using it properly. Have you ever considered that? "

source: https://www5.in.tum.de/lehre/seminare/semsoft/unterlagen_02/marssojourner/website/bill/interview1.htm

• Like 1

One I've encountered professionally: "We dont need the release to be perfect, we just need it out the door"

Please note, this logic apparently applies even if the remaining bug(s) are critical. "We'll just patch it next release!" Only for that firmware revision to get buried underneath the 50 other items in the engineering backlog.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 12:02 AM, BDW said:

One I've encountered professionally: "We dont need the release to be perfect, we just need it out the door"

Please note, this logic apparently applies even if the remaining bug(s) are critical. "We'll just patch it next release!" Only for that firmware revision to get buried underneath the 50 other items in the engineering backlog

This is common in my experience.   Usually a release needs to be out by end of quarter no matter what, for accounting reasons.  But there may be other factors at work driving a hard deadline.  Bug fix releases will soon follow.

People say "never use .0 release of a software product, wait for patches", and having been on the inside, this is good advice :)

• Like 2