IGNORED

Diagonal moves: to enable or not to enable?

Nop90

Should be allowed diagonal moves in new homebrews?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should be allowed diagonal moves in new homebrews?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

In one of the games I'm developing I have to decide if to enable diagonal moves or not.

In some lynxes the directional pad doesn't allow diagonal moves, others do, like do emulators and probably the Evercade. Enabling diagonal moves the game experience could be different on different models of Lynx, and can't decide if this is good or bad.

In the game I'm developing diaginal moves make easier to gain more points, but it's unlikely that there will ever be an highscore list for homebrews. 

I'd like to read here some different opinions before I decide the way I want to follow.

On 11/12/2020 at 3:58 PM, Nop90 said:

In some lynxes the directional pad doesn't allow diagonal moves, others do, like do emulators and probably the Evercade.

FWIW, we support diagonal input in Argon...

There are some games that I think are better off with just 4 directions (pac-man type for example).

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 7:43 AM, LordKraken said:

Need to check the ones on the lynx but I can't imagine a shooter without diagonal moves, that would be a terrible experience... so for me it's a no brainer. I didnt even know that some lynx do not allow diagonal moves... like rly!?

Dito. I have 4 units, all are fine allowing 8 way movement. Certain games would play very poorly without diagonals, e.g. Robotron.