IGNORED

Do diehard Sega fans still hold a grudge on Sony?

IntelliMission

Sony Vs Nintendo Vs Microsoft: Which company do diehard Sega fans dislike the most?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Sony Vs Nintendo Vs Microsoft: Which company do diehard Sega fans dislike the most?

• I think diehard Sega fans dislike Sony more than the other 2
    • I think diehard Sega fans dislike Nintendo more than the other 2
    • I think diehard Sega fans dislike Microsoft more than the other 2

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Saturn was cheaper in the USA than it was in France.

Were French people really importing USA systems? Last I checked that would be a massive pain to adapt a 120v 60hz system to a PAL country.

If not, then what's the point of making a comparison like that? What does it matter if Saturns were more expensive in France? In the exact same country, the Saturn was more expensive than the PS1 and 32X. Even the N64 a year later was cheaper.

12 minutes ago, Sir Guntz said:

Were French people really importing USA systems? Last I checked that would be a massive pain to adapt a 120v 60hz system to a PAL country.

If not, then what's the point of making a comparison like that? What does it matter if Saturns were more expensive in France? In the exact same country, the Saturn was more expensive than the PS1 and 32X. Even the N64 a year later was cheaper.

Don't ask me, ask him; I'm not French. He is.

Well, actually, I AM French, but only partially and I'm not actually from France, so...

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir Guntz said:

A lot cheaper? Cheaper than what? The Saturn launched in the USA at $399. Are you aware of Sony's 1995 PlayStation E3 presentation? Steve Race stepped up to the podium and said simply "$299" and walked off.

Yes but I was under the impression SEGA lowered the price of the Saturn quickly after that, because of Sony's move. I guess I was wrong then.

And like I said, the Saturn was around $500 in Europe. I was only wondering if the 32X could have performed better in Europe if SEGA helped it more here. That's all.

Edited by roots.genoa

And if the Saturn remained very expensive in the US, then I don't understand why I keep reading that "it was stupid to release the 32X since the Saturn could do better".

That's why I assumed the price gap was not that big, but I guess I always forget gamers tend to compare the power of two systems without taking the price into account. For instance, a lot of retrogamers these days don't understand why people bought 8-bit computers like the CPC in France in the second half of the 80s while the superior ST and Amiga were already available. Because they were a lot cheaper.

I dislike Sony, but not because of anything to do with Sega. I bought Saturn, when new, and played shared games between PSX and Saturn, the Saturn versions were better IMHO. I grew to further dislike Sony, in a part time job I had in the 90's-early 00's, fixing used consoles for a shop to sell. No two Sony PSX I opened, had the same parts. The endless stream of dead PS2's after, didn't improve my opinion. I did hate Sega panicking and pulling the plug on Saturn too soon, and refused to buy the DC, until it was down to 50 bucks or so. I went with Xbox instead. DC had one title that was after, otherwise, it was great for emulator discs. I stuck with Xbox through the 360, and gave up on modern games all together afterwards.

1 hour ago, IntelliMission said:

@zylon Did you open many Xbox and 360 consoles to make sure they used all the same parts, so you didn't have to start disliking Microsoft too?

While mine are still working fine, both my original Xbox, only opened to remove clock cap; and the white 360 non-hdmi model still going. A given revision in xbox, was produced fairly standard until next revision. Not as much "flavor of the week" parts used. With Sony, we had stacks of machines waiting on matches to show up. About 3 months ago, I opened about 20 original xbox consoles to remove clock caps, and other than revision differences, all were fairly standard.

Incidentally, my Saturn is still going strong as well, but the DC is coin-flip chance of tripping circuit breaker when powered up.

I've worked on many RROD consoles in time, yet never had an issue with mine, or the spare.

I quit on MS after the 360. Since I'm not into "leasing" games, I'll just play what I have and "be old".

Edited by zylon

1 minute ago, youxia said:

I owned numerous PSX/PS2 consoles over the years (one each to this day), used to sell them in a shop too, and none of them developed a fault or came back.

This is my anecodotal evidence contribution to this thread :)

I'll add that I didn't run, or own the shop, only fixed the stuff set aside for me. No knowledge of the prior owners and usage. :) PS2 issues were most commonly dead ports and bad DVD drives. The slim version was more reliable in the drive area.

This was my luck with PS1 and PS2 console quality:

PS1: Bought it in late 97, sold it in early 2002. The CD lens was starting to fail and intros had chopping and skipping problems (one trick to avoid this was placing the console vertically or even backwards), but the games ran fine. It was the model without the multiple audio/video sockets in the back. I'm pretty sure some models were more robust than others (probably the older ones were better?), so in my case (taking into account I even took the PS1 to parties with alcohol flowing or to to an apartment by the beach where more partying happened, and never cleaned it) I guess I had a "decent" one.

PS2: Bought it in late 2003, it still works perfectly. I remember something about the model 7 or something similar, like I was lucky to have this model. I believe after this model (especially slim ones) they had worse quality.

Both consoles were modded from the start, by the way, and in some cases CDs of dubious quality were used for copies.

Edited by IntelliMission

On 5/9/2021 at 3:02 AM, roots.genoa said:

Yes but I was under the impression SEGA lowered the price of the Saturn quickly after that, because of Sony's move. I guess I was wrong then.

I believe you are actually correct here, but by the time they did, combined with other factors, I'd say the damage had already been done.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Austin said:

I believe you are actually correct here, but by the time they did, combined with other factors, I'd say the damage had already been done.

FWIW- My Saturn, a round button 2 model, was 199.99, and the 3-game pack was 1 cent, with purchase of system. 

Just now, zylon said:

FWIW- My Saturn, a round button 2 model, was 199.99, and the 3-game pack was 1 cent, with purchase of system. 

Yes, so was mine. But that was a couple of years after the system was released. Another case of too little, too late, but it was still a great deal. I loved all those games that came with it (Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona). And you still got a Nights demo and the Bootleg Sampler 2.

11 minutes ago, Austin said:

Yes, so was mine. But that was a couple of years after the system was released. Another case of too little, too late, but it was still a great deal. I loved all those games that came with it (Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona). And you still got a Nights demo and the Bootleg Sampler 2.

I got mine late '97. It was my first system purchased living on my own, and I splurged a bit. Much as I enjoyed it, it hasn't aged well, but still a decent library to be had. My brother was over in Japan, in the USN, so he used to get me games.

game repairs 286 (1).jpg

• Like 1