IGNORED

Are 3rd party Wiimotes usable

bluejay

On November 18, 2020 at 4:57 AM, Austin said:

Wiimotes are a dime a dozen, so you might as well just go first-party. The Motion Plus attachments should be cheap, and there are plenty of later-gen controllers with the functionality built in.

Not anymore. Standard white Wiimotes (which I've already acquired 2 of) sells for $15+ and motion plus attachments are $10+. Wiimotes with motion plus built in will set me back around $30. I'm not spending that on just one controller. Counterfeit Wiimotes with motion plus built in, in contrast, costs <$10. If they're good enough I'm definitely going with the 3rd party ones.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluejay said:

Not anymore. Standard white Wiimotes (which I've already acquired 2 of) sells for $15+ and motion plus attachments are $10+. Wiimotes with motion plus built in will set me back around $30. I'm not spending that on just one controller. Counterfeit Wiimotes with motion plus built in, in contrast, costs <$10. If they're good enough I'm definitely going with the 3rd party ones.

Hm.. I just checked the prices, and yeah, I guess you're right. COVID tax, I guess, heh.

• Like 1

Yet you could easily try 3 or 4 different off brand Wiimotes before getting so disgusted with the deal that you proceed to fork over the $30 for the genuine article in the end anyways.

You might come out on top financially if you get lucky. For instance back when MadCatz had a horrible reputation before briefly turning it around prior to going defunct, I bought a double pack of their GameCube memory cards for cheap when I bought my first GameCube back in 2003 since the official cards were out of stock at my local Electronics Boutique. After all the stories online about 3rd party memory cards being a mess, I didn't think my chances were good. Yet 17 years later, they're still kicking, I've never had any data loss, and I still have space to spare.

You might also get lucky, but chances are excellent in my opinion that you're just going to make it more expensive for yourself in the long run. Also, it's worth adding that extremely few Wii titles even take advantage of Motion Plus. Are you sure you even need one? If you're not itching to play Wii Sports Resort or Skyward Sword, chances are you don't. And Motion Plus doesn't benefit the games not programmed to take advantage of it.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Yeah, I probably should've warned you that you'll need Motion+ for Skyward Sword, but I thought maybe you knew already. Wii Sports Resort is pretty fun, too.

I've got two Motion+ Wiimotes: the black one that comes bundled with FlingSmash (supports Homebrew Channel), and the Luigi one that I customized myself (sadly does not support Homebrew Channel).

I don't have any experience with the adapter, but I imagine it's not bad if you don't mind it making your controller a little longer. They also make the silicone covers that fit over the whole thing, if you're into those at all.

Go for the Nintendo brand.  I had a couple off brand Wii Remotes (no idea the maker-my local game store carried them) and both died within a year to year and a half.  I've only had maybe two Nintendo brand ones die-one was probably one I had since launch and the other I bought used from Goodwill.  Thus far (knocks on wood) all the Nintendo brand remotes I have, including a couple Motion+ controllers (one I also bought from Goodwill), are still working.  I just wish those controllers didn't suck battery power when sitting idle.

Nunchuks seem to be okay from third party.  I haven't had issues with them.

I just went ahead and bought a genuine motion plus adapter for $8. Might not be as comfortable to use as Wiimotes with M+ built in but still it's much cheaper. I don't think I'll ever play on the Wii with someone else so I saw no point in picking up 2. I hope everything arrives before 2021 does.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...