IGNORED

UniWarS being ported to the 7800

PacManPlus

Thank you Bob!

This game is phenomenal. Just tried it out on my CC2 using the following entry in my MENU.TXT file (use spaces instead of tabs for MENU.CC2 file):

7800:	UniWarS (RC1)	UNIWARS	7800_32K78QUICK

And it works beautifully!

I don't recall playing this game in any arcade BITD, but I may have dropped a quarter into it. Whatever the case, I think this is loads better than 7800 Galaga, and indeed more fascinating!

Thanks again Bob for bringing these rare classics to our beloved console in true arcade glory!

• Thanks 1

Fun! Three quick observations:

1. I suck at the game.

2. Why is there no "ground line" on the first stage? I assume it's to match the arcade but it's odd to see it come in on stage 2. 

4. Copyright is 2020 which is probably correct but not sure if you update on release or if you keep original WiP date.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, llabnip said:

Fun! Three quick observations:

2. Why is there no "ground line" on the first stage? I assume it's to match the arcade but it's odd to see it come in on stage 2. 

4. Copyright is 2020 which is probably correct but not sure if you update on release or if you keep original WiP date.

2. I understand why they did it; it would get in the way of the diving 'mosquitos'.  Notice on none of the other stages that the enemies share the same vertical position as the player(s).  Only the first stage.

4. I was going to change it, but being OCD I like that the port is exactly 40 years from the original. :)

Thank guys!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, llabnip said:

One potentially very small issue...when I get to the "NEXT WAVE" text, moving my ship left seems to leave the nose-cone of the ship lagging... that is, it appears to be staggered trailing behind the rest of the ship. 

Could be my emulator - but just in case...

Confirmed - I can replicate this using a Concerto.  FWIW, it's happening for me if moving right or left.

The effect that I'm seeing is that the missile on the player ship's nosecone (i.e., the missile that the ship fires) trails the movement of the ship itself by about 1 pixel, making it look as though it's shifting left or right.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Thanks 1

Just encountered something really odd... had played like 5 or 6 games in a row with no problems then started the game and on the first wave there were 4 alien ships left. Two were in descending formation and two were staying up top.  I went to shoot the lower of the "stay" aliens and as soon as I hit one, the other one also exploded and the two descending formation aliens disappeared and immediately re-appeared at the top of the screen and started a new descent. 

It all happened very quickly... I'm trying to reproduce without success. 

• Thanks 1

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing the updated version of UniWarS on Tuesday's (Jan 12, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

338484600_20210112-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.3d06f01af759e3bb0b6914274d1f3875.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Guys!

Ok, I have my list of four bugs (the three listed above plus one I found):

- Shot lagging behind the player when moving

- (First Wave): Flying enemy shifting horizontal position when becoming one of the last 3 enemies (that's when I have it set to not fly back to the 'flock')

- (First Wave): Last enemy kills player, player does not lose a life.

- ...and one that I found

I will try and have these done before tomorrow night's show.

Thank you!

Bob

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

- (First Wave): Last enemy kills player, player does not lose a life.

I just checked how both of the (non-bootleg) Irem versions in MAME deal with this, and noticed something subtle.

Let the final alien on the first screen ram into your ship.  The lives counter will not decrement, and the warp sequence will play as usual.  At the start of the next stage, the lives counter will change to reflect the ship that was killed off at the end of the previous stage, but not until the player's ship is on the screen and under the player's control.

Dunno if it's worth trying to implement that or not, and I didn't try it on other level transitions so have no idea if it will behave the same way later in the game, but figured it was worth mentioning.

- ...and one that I found

Do tell :D

Edited by x=usr(1536)

7 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

The Japanese title of the game is 銀河帝国の逆襲, and that, too, is an obvious reference: the Japanese title of ESB is 帝国の逆襲.

"The Galaxy Empire Strikes Back" is actually an accurate translation of the Japanese title of the game.

Right, but the copyright date on UniWarS is same as the year of theatrical release of ESB.  The translation's accurate, but Irem was definitely going for a little bit of riding the coattails of name recognition.

• Like 1

Hi guys:

Just wanted to come in here quickly and post the latest version, RC2.

I got up early this morning to look at these before work.  

Fixed:

- Shot lagging behind player (at least I think this one is fixed; it looks that way)

- Flying enemy suddenly shifting over horizontally when it's the last few enemies on level

- Last enemy kills player and ship is not lost

- Game over on wave 1 (mosquitos), screen does not clear of enemies

- When switching players in a two player alternating game, the enemies do not divebomb for player 2.

The show is tonight, so if any of you have time (please), go through two players if you can.

I will be testing again tonight after work.

Thanks,

Bob

UniWarS.A78 UniWarS.BIN

• Like 5