IGNORED

cvdevkit 20180103 homebrew kit

Kiwi

I am posting this kit since colecovision.dk site lost the file.  This contains everything, sample source code, pdf, tools and etc.

newcoleco's homebrew kit:cvdevkit_build_20180103_SIMPLE_V2.zip

ICVGM 3.0.3 is in the tools > graphic file in ICVGM_COMPLETE.zip.  Not sure if it need additional runtime file to run the program. cvgraphictoolkit needs Java installed to run this program to use cvpaint2 and cvsprite.  CVsprite is useful to make metasprites since you can make and place your sprite on the scene. It can be buggy.  ICVGM is useful making tileset, but does support sprite graphic data.  I don't have Window 10(thankfully), so I can't help with issues.

• Thanks 1

2018, java...

I 100% respect all authors and do not discount their contributions but the reality is that Windows keeps evolving.

Case in point if I open the calculator in Windows 10 while CoolCV is running it shuts off abruptly depending on it's mood.

So, to alleviate having to fiddle, add layers or hack I recommend you use a tool that is made and compiled on a modern computer.

If these tools from 2018 and before work for you then the more power but I have found success with just 3 tools to create software for the Colecovision environment.

Tony Cruise's Sprite and Tile editor.  All modern and being updated.

Notepad ++ text file editor.  All modern and being updated.

TNIASM which I have found suits my needs without being registered or updated.

Mind you this is for programing in Assembly language.

I understand that C has been introduced for those who want to take an easier route but performance and space are effected.

Again, if it works for you then go for it just don't stop programing.

Even the most mundane application or game is fascinating.

I have a very deep philosophy which is we are programing for the machine of it's time.

Compact code was necessary for the limited ram and resources so what is the point of using something with a lot of overhead.

I remember my first use of TNIASM which I put my daughters name on a real Colecovision white letters with blue background.

I am an old man and I was tickled.

If I knew what I do now back in the 80's with the tools of today I would have made some serious cash and not have had to work all summer just to go to that Pink Floyd concert.

Just me and trying to help.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy