IGNORED

HSC17 Round 22: CAVERNIA

therealbountybob

On 12/4/2020 at 1:29 PM, therealbountybob said:

Reminder:

Round Ends Wednesday 9th December 10am UK Time (yes, slighly shorter than usual).

Will start up the next poll soon :idea:

Round 23 >>>POLL OPEN<<<

Cavernia

first table

1st   McKong                     12,880+  12pts (level 14)
  2nd   Sikor                           4,240    11pts (level 4)
  3rd   graywest                     4,130    10pts (level 4)
  4th   therealbountybob       3,000+    9pts (level 4)
  5th   carlsson                       1,210     8pts (level 2)

Nice Sikor and Caco may meet up :thumbsup:

EVERYONE I think Cavernia is really too difficult to be enjoyable for most players, for example I've had another session, did the first level without losing a life and lost all my lifes on the 2nd level despite knowing what to do.

After a lot of goes I reach the disappearing platforms on level 4 but can't figure this out, the only way past the ball is over to the disappearing platform and on here you can only jump left to the platform??

The controls could be much better - my Block on Legs game I addressed most of these e.g. momentum on short presses making game less twitchy, jump/turn etc so for fun, use the cheats to explore the game:

"STEVIE NICKS" for next level
"TAMSIN" for level 8

21 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

EVERYONE I think Cavernia is really too difficult to be enjoyable for most players, for example I've had another session, did the first level without losing a life and lost all my lifes on the 2nd level despite knowing what to do.

After a lot of goes I reach the disappearing platforms on level 4 but can't figure this out, the only way past the ball is over to the disappearing platform and on here you can only jump left to the platform??

The controls could be much better - my Block on Legs game I addressed most of these e.g. momentum on short presses making game less twitchy, jump/turn etc so for fun, use the cheats to explore the game:

"STEVIE NICKS" for next level
"TAMSIN" for level 8

You can jump over the ball and land on the platform below. From there jump right to the adjacent platform. Then left and down onto the disappearing platform, and left again to get the item.

I'm surprised you think this game is really difficult. The enemies are really slow and easy to jump, there are no last pixel long jumps to do, and no timer, so in most places you can take your time. Once you remember to keep an eye on the ceiling of the cave to spot the bits that fall you lose less lives. The moving platforms aren't difficult either, once you know how to get on them you can't miss! You just need to wait and then just before they reach you walk on, keep the joystick pushed in that direction and remember to jump off!

It does get tricky in the later levels though, 9 is difficult until you get the hang of it, and 13 and 14 I think were pretty hard too. 

Definitely stick with it cos it's a good game

After some seriously bad multisyllable swearing managed to get all but the last item on level 5 score around 4400. Some nice graphics esp when you get the two distinct colours for the terrain :thumbsup:

1243923019_CaverniaGrfx.jpg.e6c3dee78b8a36e0eec9c146ec2e7122.jpgCavernia.jpg.a25c7335e2131285ee64d4d48f8e73eb.jpg

Reminder:

Round Ends Wednesday 9th December 10am UK Time (yes, slighly shorter than usual).

Round 23 >>>POLL OPEN<<<

• Like 1

Some nice level designs and variety, the waiting around for the creatures default positions is a bit annoying especially when you are repeatedly dying (yes I had to correct that spelling) :skull:

Reached level 7 (just) 6,530

Reminder:

Round 23 >>>POLL OPEN<<<

On 11/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Cavernia has 16 levels afaik. But it's too hard/difficult for me, I absolutely hate these very small moving platforms that do NOT move your player (you have to jump on them and then move with them). The electric thingies in the game are also not nice. This is a love + hate game for me, I love the gfx, but hate the (too hard) gameplay.

Totally agreed. It looks nice... gameplay is horrible. And although some people hate background music, for me it is one of the thing I usually like in games. This games does not have any music at all. Pity.

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

Ok we'll leave this round open until Sunday morning as Cavernia does have more play in it once you get used to it! I'll start the next round up now so they will overlap for a few days!

7,590ish just the door to get on level 7 ;-)

There seems to be a bug on level 7. More often than not you don't have to collect the items that are on the right hand side of the level beyond where the door is

Completed it, after level 16 it starts again. It wouldn't be difficult to run through it again with the extra life for each 1000 points.

Very good game. For those who don't like it, or think it's too difficult, you should give it more of a chance. I thought it seemed difficult when I first played it.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Perhaps its problem is that it ramps up the difficulty very early on, even though it is solvable for a top player once you have got past the first obstacles? It seems that everyone who commented about it on Atarimania also brings up that it is very hard.

I think it's a game that takes a bit of time and patience rather than skill. Once you learn how to solve the more difficult parts on each level, it doesn't then take much to repeat the solution, if you know what I mean.

Where did you get stuck on level two? 

I got stuck at the laser beams. Once I managed to take the back way on the upper platform and through the narrow hole. It shouldn't be possible but the game seems to have a few small bugs here and there so sometimes it works. Still I didn't manage to climb through to the end of the level.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

I got stuck at the laser beams. Once I managed to take the back way on the upper platform and through the narrow hole. It shouldn't be possible but the game seems to have a few small bugs here and there so sometimes it works. Still I didn't manage to climb through to the end of the level.

Yes I managed to get through that gap once, but then it wouldn't work again when I tried it!

If the timing is right, you can stand with your back to the wall, facing the laser, then when the enemy comes you can jump over it just as the laser switches off. Alternatively you can drop down from the platform above as the laser switches off