IGNORED

LynXmas 2020 Game Jam

Igor

Just in case there are some devs who are wondering how to create a BLL file from scratch...

The cc65 has a pre-defined target called lynx-bll.cfg

Here is a minimal template with ABCmusic and how to set up the Makefile for a "flat" game with no segments:

Makefile

Common.mk

abcmusic.s

main.c

Just put all these in a directory and edit main.c to create your Superior TETRIS ic steroids.

I did run a compilation and the resulting binary was 9k.

game.o

• Thanks 3

My code is not exactly completed yet. But I am working on the sprites.

Landscape.png.47d4ac614f5134e898c117dc307f99a8.png

I have no idea how my characters turned up to look like this...

(These vicious fighters were inspired by Mortal Kombat)

PS: For the guys still hanging on tooth and nails to the old "newcc65". Why not give cc65 a go?

Look at bitbucket.org/atarilynx

• Like 2

I think we should define some specifications to make the games packable on a single rom.

First thing is the use of the eeprom feature. Games should not use the eeprom, or at least use only a limited number of bytes (starting from a configurable offset).

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Fadest said:

Breakout to Arkanoid if you prefer :D

Seems like I have an idea, found the perfect assets for free on itch.io for the basis. I need to add some sprites for the gameplay.

The main problem is that now, I have the music of Bubble Bobble in my head (even if it will not be a Bubble Bobble clone).

But Arkanoid *is* just breakout deluxe as far as I can tell. it adds stuff but it doesn't even change the core rule like columns does.

2 hours ago, Nop90 said:

I think we should define some specifications to make the games packable on a single rom.

First thing is the use of the eeprom feature. Games should not use the eeprom, or at least use only a limited number of bytes (starting from a configurable offset).

I would imagine none of these games would have any use for an eeprom anyway (actually high scores I suppose), but I suppose it should still be in concrete in the rules anyway.

8 hours ago, karri said:

Just in case there are some devs who are wondering how to create a BLL file from scratch...

The cc65 has a pre-defined target called lynx-bll.cfg

Here is a minimal template with ABCmusic and how to set up the Makefile for a "flat" game with no segments:

Makefile 242 B · 4 downloads

Common.mk 661 B · 4 downloads

abcmusic.s 16.49 kB · 4 downloads

main.c 6.28 kB · 4 downloads

Just put all these in a directory and edit main.c to create your Superior TETRIS ic steroids.

I did run a compilation and the resulting binary was 9k.

game.o 8.68 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks for this even though I'm not using cc65. I realised the other day that I don't even know how to use a compiler (no clue how you use lyxass). It really does help to have experience. Needless to say I won't be having anything at all done in 2 weeks. This helped shove it in my face that makefiles probably aren't going to kill me though.

• Like 1

Two weeks is a bit short time. It is barely enough to create a game if you are familiar with the tools and know how to program.

But to learn C, learn to draw, become a musician and get an idea of what kind of game to make is still a big obstacle. I hope these small files encourage others to try.

• Like 2

Refined the mockup. My gfx skills are terrible, aren't they? ?

img2.png.e8b5c04de62f63d51190aa2bd43be810.png

Someone will make it look better one day. Now I'm coding the tiles animation and the game logic to test if the game is as good as I think in my head.

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Unless you have a bad game that need improvement :ponder:

If french private jokes are coming here, I guess my reputation is over :D

Ok, the game manage objets, you can pick them and they are automatically drop where needed.

Ennemies are useles right now, now I need to make them more dangerous, and let them drop objet when stunned.

Assets used (and completed/modified by myself) :

- The Christmas guy from Snowy Tiles and Sprites by AXLplosion (itch.io)

Pixel Holiday Tree - FREE by VladPenn (itch.io)

- Walking ennemies from Stomper (from Ansimuz Patreons file - not sure this is on itch.io yet)

(this is my 1st try for a capture movie, so please be indulgent)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Fadest said:

Unless you have a bad game that need improvement :ponder:

If french private jokes are coming here, I guess my reputation is over :D

Ok, the game manage objets, you can pick them and they are automatically drop where needed.

Ennemies are useles right now, now I need to make them more dangerous, and let them drop objet when stunned.

Assets used (and completed/modified by myself) :

- The Christmas guy from Snowy Tiles and Sprites by AXLplosion (itch.io)

Pixel Holiday Tree - FREE by VladPenn (itch.io)

- Walking ennemies from Stomper (from Ansimuz Patreons file - not sure this is on itch.io yet)

(this is my 1st try for a capture movie, so please be indulgent)

That game is seriously cute. I love it!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fadest said:

This is not a competition, this is a welcome party for AtariGamer Player #3, with games he will be able to play long before dad show him Bitchy

Ouch, I need to clean up my intro in that case...

tgi_outtextxy (0, 10, "dear santa");
  tgi_outtextxy (0, 20, "I'm writing to tell");
  tgi_outtextxy (0, 30, "you I've been");
  tgi_outtextxy (0, 40, "naughty and it was");
  tgi_outtextxy (0, 50, "worth it.");
  tgi_outtextxy (0, 60, "You fat, judgemental");
  tgi_outtextxy (0, 70, "bastard.");

• Haha 5

Now I'm designing the levels for the puzzle mode, in the week end I'll try to add some music and sfx.

Meanwhile I added the arcade mode, where there are random toys on screen and random groups to pack in a limited amount of time, with time recharged at every good hit. The goal is to make more points possible instead of solving levels. The game ends with 3 wrong pack or if the time is over.

The game works, but it's seems harder than expected, at least for me. I need a beta tester, because I never was good at videogames.

Edited by Nop90

added the possibiity to change the selector orientation (Vertical/Horizontal) and now the game is much more playable. The Arcade mode so is copleted.

Now puzzle leves and musics. Size is 21,4KB at the moment, so I should stay in the limit.

Edited by Nop90