IGNORED

LynXmas 2020 Game Jam

Igor

The whole day went in the rehearsals for the week-ends dance competition. But I believe that next week-end is also available for programming. This week-end - no chance...

My game is already 18928 bytes. But it still lacks the main character and the music. Oh, and all playability. But 32k is plenty. It should be ok...

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Nop90 said:

The game works, but it's seems harder than expected, at least for me. I need a beta tester, because I never was good at videogames.

Don't know if they have time to help, but I got useful help from @RadiATIon and @Felyx and their sons in my previous games. 

I took no time to rework on the game yesterday.

But now I know how to inbteract with ennemies, I mean, you can't just hurt them or jump on their head, this is Christmas. No, you will have to send them a gift, and then, they will leave and let an ornment for the tree... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woaw, I'm very impressed by all your entries so far, in a record time!

They all look very good, and I like the first gameplay vids posted so far!

Sadly, I don't think I'll have the time to make anything before the deadline (too busy with "real life" :(... ), but I'm really looking forward playing your games!

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, drludos said:

Sadly, I don't think I'll have the time to make anything before the deadline (too busy with "real life" :(... ), but I'm really looking forward playing your games!

Good luck!

A game that put a smile on players' faces ( + single screen game as bonus)...

Come on, the rules of the contest are written for you, and @Turbo Laser Lynx

This is just the definition of your games...

You can't avoid to enter the contest :D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fadest said:

No stress ???

I just got a 30 minute break in the competition. Is it ok to start coding or will I miss the start of my judging?

Edit: on the next break now. Aroung 150 dancers. Some youngsters are so good. I love it! Finals start in about an hour. It would be so nice to do a dance game for a change. I read about a ROKOKO suit for entering movements. Could you rent it for a while?

https://wrrc.dance/live-stream-and-live-results-online-world-cup-05-06-12-2020/

On 12/6/2020 at 8:13 AM, Igor said:

I'll try and have something to show for my game soon...

can't wait for it.

Meanwhile tuned the sprites a little bit more:

sf03.png.196f9a1fe9c70dcbf7fd10c84baedac5.png

Now the toys have distictive colors making it easy to locate them at a glance. The HW scaled down sprites in the top aren't so good, probably I'll use another 1KB of precious space to make proper scaled down images.

Do you like the Lynx II sprite and the themed backgroud?

bg.png.818d650f9106542f6527e2094bb4a1cb.png

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 3

This is really exciting because it seems this contest sees programmers turning artists :)

I like the art of your game @Nop90 although I agree the scaled down sprites are not ideal (I generally use scaling for cool animations but only for that). Also just a thought, the ball stands out maybe a little bit too much. It contrasts way more than the other toys. But I don't have a solution.. hey I'm not a pixel artist :)

13 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Also just a thought, the ball stands out maybe a little bit too much. It contrasts way more than the other toys. But I don't have a solution.. hey I'm not a pixel artist

Yes, the solution is to change it with another sprite. Already have it in my plans sice two kinds of ball are two much. 

In the week end learned how to use ABCMusic, it's not easy at the beginning to write the music strings, but once you understand the notation it's worth the effort.

The music is only the first half of the tune I'll use in the menu.

If I can't finish the puzzle mode, I will release only the arcade mode that is complete. I'll only tune little things like the sprites position on the top and maybe the time recharge amount. The arcade mode is complete random, while the puzzle mode has no random elements.

As you can see in the video you have to pack the three toys shown in the top left corner of the sreen (the desired toys a of a good girl/boy). Two mistakes and you're fired. Santa is a hard boss ?.

The toy selector can change orientation (vertical/horizontal) with the B button. The direction pad moves the selector, but when it's vertical pressing UP switches the center toy with the upper toy, pressing DOWN switches the center toy with the lower toy. With A you can pack the selected toys.

Every good pack recharges 30 seconds (up to a maximum of 99 seconds). the toys moves every 3 seconds. At 15 good packs the speed increases to a movement every 2 seconds. At 30 packs every 1 seconds.

In the puzzle mode the command are the same, but there is a fixed configuration of toys and from 3 to 6 combinations to pack in less than 99 seconds. The levell is passed making all the required packs with less than 3 errors, but making all correct packs will clear the level (not coded yet, I planed to give bonus tools to be used - only once in a level - with OPT1, like stopping the timer for 10 seconds, allowing to make a good pack with only 2 correct tools, stopping for ten second the toys, and others).

I would like to code an algorithm that stores the whole game progress in string of 8-10 chars (encoded). I have other 9 days. A lot of work

• Like 7

Great work @Fadest and @Nop90 your games look like lots of fun! @karri Thanks so much for sharing the minimal template! I was thinking about how to do that.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, Fadest said:

Thanks for the nice words man! Yeah I know, but the Kaamos really got to me this year, been feeling uncomfortably numb and no energy. Dark when you start working and dark when you finish work... ? I did come up with a ridiculous game idea though, so there's still a small chance I could get something done, but only 7days left ?

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@karri I need help with ABCMusic: my tune has 3 channels, everyone looping from start to the end, but the channels loops when they reach char 255 of the music strings. Is this a limit of the driver or is it a bug?

And seems the driver doesn't support nested loops. Correct?

Edited by Nop90

1 hour ago, Fadest said:

@_cooper_ had the same issue some years ago (limit to 255 chars)

If you read french, there is a topic here, it seems he got a solution, but I did not find if he released it or if it was still faulty.

ABCMusic - la suite - Page 1 - yAronet

I read the code, it addresses the bytes in the string with a zp base and Y indirect addressing.

I'll try to modify the code, my idea for doing it is very similar to te one in the post you linked

5 hours ago, Nop90 said:

I read the code, it addresses the bytes in the string with a zp base and Y indirect addressing.

I'll try to modify the code, my idea for doing it is very similar to te one in the post you linked

What on earth are you composing - a symphony? I have never had 255 notes in anything afaik. Or more loops than one.

This time I really don't know if I can finish my entry. My kids wanted to have a Christmas Carols day next Sunday. So it looks as I will spend my Saturday in the kichen.

But... On the other hand if I miss the dead-line I can always release it as a LynXmas Extra present outside the competition. Right?