IGNORED

LynXmas 2020 Game Jam

Igor

57 minutes ago, 42bs said:

I'd propose: XmasSack

And a red cart.

Perhaps the label could be like a name tag on a Christmas present and the red cart could have some decorations to resemble a present?

The Xmas is really Sack:ed. Which reminds me of the best tune this year. It is in Finnish played by a guitar player from the legendary Leningrad Cowboys (Tatu Kemppainen, he is also the chief physician of Kuopio University hospital). He did this video to encourage people to take Xmas and COVID seriously.

• Like 2

Hehe nice, I didn't realise you control the girl as the player! Santa got me a few times too. Is there a way to restart gameplay?

The squirrel drops bombs now in my game.......?? ...and if you step into it, it slows you down until you walk it off.

Screenshot.thumb.png.d87ae646a4ea93af5338ce50960608eb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

First release submitted to itch.io :

Saving Santa Tree - LynxMas 2020 by Fadest (itch.io)

Apart music and SFX, I'm pleased with what I did.

Of course, there can still be some bugs lying somewhere, so maybe I will put another version before deadline.

There are now 10 layouts for levels. You have to go through all of them. But there is a random element in each game : some platform are iced, so each game is different from the other.

Also, I added a volatile that fly through the screen if you take too long to complete a level.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Igor said:

Hehe nice, I didn't realise you control the girl as the player! Santa got me a few times too. Is there a way to restart gameplay?

There is no way to restart gameplay. This is something I did not even realize as the game is too easy when you know the game mechanics.

But for a first time player having a restart mechanism might make sense. I could add some message like "Press B to try again".

Pressing any conio keys will exit the game instantly. Or at least I coded it that way.

And there is NO WAY to turn off the music. Because it is enjoyableAnd not irritating, like my kids claim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Igor said:

Nice @Fadest! And yes @karri please add a restart option.

Done. I did add a restart option and changed the music slightly. The lower pitch sounded awful on the real Lynx. But this is better imho.

naughty.lnx

I am still interested in any last minute fix suggestions. I could do something on Monday, perhaps...

The squirrel is called Horatio, but that's not really relevant now or in the game any more as I've changed some last minute dynamics ?

@karri I think it would be good to show when your character is 'dead', right now the girl just disappears and it's a little confusing.

• Like 1

I don't like to stick to traditional kind of tunes, so here's my truly horrific Jingle Bells interpretation...

#define TUNE_THEME_CH1 "V0 X70 O2 I1 T5 R10 H20 K100 z V30 |:z2z2E4 z2z2E4 z2z2z3DE8 z2z2F3F z2z2z2EE z2z2z2E2 z4G4 z2z2E4 z2z2E4 z2z2z3D z8 z2z2z3F z2z2z2EE z2z2z2D2 z8:|"
#define TUNE_THEME_CH2 "V0 X72 O3 I1 T5 R20 H20 K100 z V55 |:C8 C8 C8 F8 C8 G8 G8 C8 C8 C8 F8 C8 G8 C8:|"
#define TUNE_THEME_CH3 "V0 X72 O3 I1 T5 R10 H20 K100 z V20 |:cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc ffffffff cccccccc gggggggg gggggggg cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc ffffffff cccccccc gggggggg cccccccc:|"

I've had a friend who is a classical piano teacher help me translate this to ABCmusic, but then I took it and twisted it. Not sure if she would approve of the final result.

What do you guys think? ? (I can see this being played in a techno-industrial-goth night club on Xmas Eve!)

Game submitted.

Had to reduce the levels to 16, don't have the energy to design and test more levels.

The game can be finished in about 30 minutes, but not with a perfect score, that seems a very hard task.

I'll continue the testing and will correct bugs if any till the deadline. Later I'll post about the game outside of the Dev section.

• Like 2

By hand, some in my head and others with pencil and paper, trying to create tricky configurations.

This is the level definition file: levels.h

This is the level structure:

{2,  3,3,1,5,4,5,5,2,2,1,5,1,3,2,3,1,1,4,1,4,4,1,2,3,2,5,3,1,  4,  5,4,3,4,4,4,6,2,2,1,5,5,1,1,1,1,1,1,  0,0,0,6,3,2,4,5,2,6,1,1,1},

First value is the delay in seconds before the toys move, than there are 28 values with the starting toys configuration (upper line 9 toys from right to left, center line 9 toys from left to right, bottom line 10 toys from right to left), than the number of packs to complete and 6 groups of three toys that are the configurations for the packs (if there are less than 6 packs to do some are ignored). Finally there is the sequence of toys (cycling) thar appear on the top right when an empty space exit on the bottom left.

There is no random element.