IGNORED

LynXmas 2020 Game Jam

Igor

Well, I managed to gather some tiny bits of free time here and there during the past week, so I'm happy to finally be able to enter the compo too! (@LordKraken, I'm the "mysterious" 6th participant :p).

I've just submitted my entry, titled Gift Catcher. It's a single button button game played in vertical mode.

Can you help Santa catch all the gifts without touching snowflakes?

dbjK4z.gif

The game is played in vertical mode, using only the A/B buttons. At first, Santa will move on top of the screen. Press the button, and he'll dive down to catch a gift. Now you can press and hold the button again to make him climb back up to the top of the screen. Catch all the gifts, but avoid touching the moving snowflakes!

If are looking for a challenge, my current highscore is 24 points!

The final ROM weight 26kb, and can be downloaded from here.

I hope you'll enjoy it, and I'm looking forward playing your entries! I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far - the Lynx will have a great Christmas this year! :)

• Like 7

My game is submitted (https://atarigamer.itch.io/santas-empty-sack)

Amazed that I managed to get it out in about 1 week with a 2 week old baby too. Quite happy with the result, I know there are some bugs still but I'm very happy with the end result.

P.S. would it be useful for people if I released the standard kind of 'assets' like the LYNX 2 with a transparent background and a space for a title screen, etc? I use these in all my games and think it makes the game page look much more professional...

lynx.thumb.png.7ce875373010a927a8d87360ba431e50.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 42bs said:

Dr.Ludos, just a small 'issue': The Game Over is overlaid by the snow flakes. 

I like the multicolor fonts (and the idea).

Thanks for your kind words, and for the issue report. Actually, the Game Over is drawn over the snowflakes, but as they share some colors (white) it can sometimes looks the other way around (although it's not :)).

It's very cool that also we got an entry from a "mysterious" participant. Looking at the entries page, the game looks again very diverse, that's a very cool event! :)

Igor, I don't how you managed to code anything (and here you just made a full game from scratch!) with a new born baby at home! I remember that during the first weeks, every "baby is sleeping" time was actually used for us to do some chores or to take a nap too! ;)

• Like 1

@drludos my wife and I take sleep in turns, so neither of us is every sleeping at the same time as the other, it works much better this way we find. It was a bit stressful trying to get it all finished in time for the deadline though!

Looking forward to trying out all of the games in the coming days! :D

Also I wouldn't go as far as saying it was "from scratch", I've been putting together my "Atari Gamer Lynx Game Library"  for a time now so that helps out quite a bit, especially when you can take a blank project template and start filling it with content. I plan to release this library once it's a little bit more fleshed out. It's only set up for making small games, so no loadable segments or anything fancy.

Really good game. some levels are very hard and the following quite easy, but I guess it depends on players...

What is the plot when the key is not here at the start of the level ?

Die many times ? Survive a (very) long time ?

I'm stuck at level ?? (there are 4 ennemies, 1 if fix in the center of the screen, 1 has vertical move, another one horizontal and the last one diagonal), the floor is really red now, but still no key ???

Edit : after a second run to check level number, it is 19 (you should display level number whan game is paused ;) )

This time, only level 8 was quite hard (like in 1st run). There was another one in 1st run, but it did not annoy me this time.

Edited by Fadest

3 hours ago, karri said:

Thir RED entry is so good.

Thanks @karri. Really means something to hear that from you :)

2 hours ago, Nop90 said:

The gameplay resembles me a little of the dungeons of Zelda on the GBA

Can't hide that the visuals are somewhat inspired by the original zelda :)

29 minutes ago, Fadest said:

What is the plot when the key is not here at the start of the level ?

oops I think that is because of my cheat to add extra levels for cheap (I basically added a bit of randomity to existing levels). The key is very likely under the non moving one... need to fix that...

Edited by LordKraken

Spent a few hours going through them all (on real hardware of course). Thanks to everyone for making these, super cool to see and play them all!

RED takes me back and makes me think of an older DOS dungeon-based game or Gameboy-like Zelda game, as Nop90 mentioned and nodding here, which is really cool. Something about the stark b&w contrast really does well with the red splats! If it had a lives system in place, it would take the velvet cake.

Love the simplicity and presentation of Gift Catcher that forces you to play the Lynx vertically. Overall just very cheery and great for a quick and fun arcade-like crane-game inspired play! I didn't make it very far though, difficulty ramps up quite quickly, which is a good thing.

Dig the humorous Santa's Empty Sack title name with a rabid squirrel who continues to steal all my gifts but I've only managed to get a high score of -250 in that one :D just needs a lives system so that you can die? Maybe if the squirrel hits you when you enter FRENZY mode as well, Santa dies.

If SnowBall could be turned into a Comlynx game with a catchy tune, some SFX and something as simple as being able to select from a variety of different characters/color schemes (maybe 4?), could be the ultimate snowball killing title. Has a lot of potential for being so much more, especially with multiple Lynxes.

I'm not sure I understand Naughty but Santa beat my ass, that much I do know :D so I must have been a very bad, bad girl. That, or maybe it was the snowballs to his fat, judgemental face! ; )

Santa Factory feels like the most polished/retail-like game of them all (imo) as if it's something I would have played during the 90s and if broadened slightly with a variety of graphics to fit just a few different themes in total, would have landed in Atari Lynx brochures for $34.99 everywhere! Definitely could have imagined playing this when I was younger as an actual Atari released puzzler, it's that nicely done.

Outside of the low music? with loud SFX, Saving Santa Tree had more under the surface than I initially gave it credit for at first screenshot passing. Very cool indeed, with purpose and presents everywhere! The credit screen was a nice touch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Clint Thompson said:

I'm not sure I understand Naughty but Santa beat my ass, that much I do know :D so I must have been a very bad, bad girl.

Wow. So it was too hard after all...

I created a small (3:22) playthrough video at http://79.125.115.174/pics/naughtyplaythrough.mp4

The keys = joypad + A or B. Both firebuttons do the same thing.

Throw snowballs all the time by keeping A or B pressed.

There is 3 ways to get a knockout:
- you touch Santa
- the quake wave after Santa's jump reaches you
- the sack bangs into your head

To avoid a knockout:

- don't get too close
- jump
- go down

Timing is the key here....

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, karri said:

Wow. So it was too hard after all...

I created a small (3:22) playthrough video at http://79.125.115.174/pics/naughtyplaythrough.mp4

The keys = joypad + A or B. Both firebuttons do the same thing.

Throw snowballs all the time by keeping A or B pressed.

There is 3 ways to get a knockout:
- you touch Santa
- the quake wave after Santa's jump reaches you
- the sack bangs into your head

To avoid a knockout:

- don't get too close
- jump
- go down

Timing is the key here....

Thanks for the tips, I'll be giving it another go for sure!