IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 12/2020 Pengo

zylon

Our final month, we'll tackle Pengo on Intermediate settings. DO NOT CAMP, as in don't just stand in a corner hitting the walls waiting on sno-bees. Use original 5200 systems and Atari-mfg controls. Period analog 3rd party sticks allowed with 1 HSC pt penalty. Modern flashcarts/SD loaders allowed. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends when month does.

Current HSC record- bust it if you can for a bonus point

Pengo -
(Intermediate)
Northcoastgamer 558,640

Final scores:

167,940  rubeon +11

104,110  DamonicFury +10

68,780  phuzaxeman +9

57,170  roadrunner +8

28,420  zylon +7

15,740  RangerG +6

Current standings-

DamonicFury - 109

rubeon - 107

roadrunner - 91

RangerG - 75

zylon - 73

troff - 24

Rogerpoco - 15

phuzaxeman - 12

patroclus99 - 10

unoclay - 10

hoosierdadee78 - 9

Moises Tuseto - 9

Pengo.BIN

Edited by zylon

1 hour ago, unoclay said:

whelp, i guess i'll sit this one out.  I dont actually own Pengo for 5200, and although i know i could get a copy for cheap, i never really jived with the arcade game, and so havent bothered yet. Good luck to the competitors.  

Get a flashcart or SD loader for future games. It's also great for adding homebrews and harder to find games, or even to play before you buy a real copy.

yes, i prob will someday.  But i am also fond of physically collecting games when affordable as Pengo, because i tend to cherish them more.  I have a Super Everdrive for SNES and a Flashboy for Virtual Boy, and even the shiny new flashcart for Lynx.  Love them all.  But 5200 is more of a slow-steady system for me---still have a real copy of HERO i havent even tried out yet.  Pengo's cheap, so will grab sometime.  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 11:38 PM, unoclay said:

yes, i prob will someday.  But i am also fond of physically collecting games when affordable as Pengo, because i tend to cherish them more.  I have a Super Everdrive for SNES and a Flashboy for Virtual Boy, and even the shiny new flashcart for Lynx.  Love them all.  But 5200 is more of a slow-steady system for me---still have a real copy of HERO i havent even tried out yet.  Pengo's cheap, so will grab sometime.  

I use an older 128-in-1 flashcart mostly, but do have a physical cart collection that I keep with my 2-port system in my house up PA. Being as I needed to regularly test Roms out on original systems, when I ran the regular HSC too, it was essential.

Rest your fingers, I have a "blast" planned for January to kick off the new year here. ;)

Edited by zylon

On 12/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, unoclay said:

whelp, i guess i'll sit this one out.  I dont actually own Pengo for 5200, and although i know i could get a copy for cheap, i never really jived with the arcade game, and so havent bothered yet. Good luck to the competitors.  

Give Pengo a shot in the future. Pengo on the 5200 is a different experience.  I actually like the soundtrack better than the arcade and it's also a little easier which makes the game more appealing for me. This game I believe was not released on the 8bit although there is a port which is glitchy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to rubeon for doing the best snowjob this month, and let's give a hand to 2020 champ Damonic Fury, and runner up rubeon, for a nailbiter season. ??? Thanks to all who make this possible and I'll come up with something tonight. Our champ may PM or reply here with a chosen OE game they'd like run this year to come.

Final scores:

167,940  rubeon +11

104,110  DamonicFury +10

68,780  phuzaxeman +9

57,170  roadrunner +8

28,420  zylon +7

15,740  RangerG +6

Final 2020 standings-

DamonicFury - 119

rubeon - 118

roadrunner - 99

RangerG - 81

zylon - 80

troff - 24

phuzaxeman - 21

Rogerpoco - 15

patroclus99 - 10

unoclay - 10

hoosierdadee78 - 9

Moises Tuseto - 9

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rubeon said:

Thanks @zylon for a great season, and congrats to @DamonicFury for a well-earned championship!

Next year I shall redouble my efforts!! *shakes tiny fist*

Dude, that was amazingly close!  I really didn’t think I was ever going to catch up a few months ago!

Hope you’ll be sticking with it indeed... the Hall of Fame awaits!

3 hours ago, RangerG said:

Zylon -- I beat you by one point. Thanks for running it, you do a great job!

Hear, hear... kudos to zylon on another successful year, run under extraordinary circumstances!  

On 1/2/2021 at 3:52 PM, zylon said:

Our champ may PM or reply here with a chosen OE game they'd like run this year to come.

Tempest would be nice, but I don’t think the ROM ever got released.  So perhaps Millipede instead?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

Dude, that was amazingly close!  I really didn’t think I was ever going to catch up a few months ago!

Hope you’ll be sticking with it indeed... the Hall of Fame awaits!

Hear, hear... kudos to zylon on another successful year, run under extraordinary circumstances!  

Tempest would be nice, but I don’t think the ROM ever got released.  So perhaps Millipede instead?

Millipede, we can run. I've thoroughly tested the one I have on both BIOS versions.

• Like 1