IGNORED

FS: Really REALLY big arcade stick. ***GONE!!***

eightbit

About a year or so ago a friend of mine who was moving and owed me some money asked if he could pay up by instead giving me his massive custom arcade stick. I agreed...but I have no room for this thing at all.

It is huge. I would have to take measurements, but it has to be around 4FT or so long. Four players and trackball. All of the buttons and joysticks (and trackball) are extremely high quality. I know very little about arcade controls, but they feel like the arcade to me. The inside has a million wires and some boards. Plugs coming out are two USB and a PS2. I am assuming the PS2 is for the trackball and one of the USB's for the trackball buttons. I tested this briefly with a Raspberry Pi using just the one USB and the joysticks worked fine. He really knew his stuff so I suspect it all works as it should.

But it is heavy (not too bad however, I can carry it myself no problem) but most importantly the size of this thing really restricts me from mailing it. So, local pickup (in Northern NJ...I am around 15 minutes from the Digital Press store if you are familiar with the place). I am looking for $200 for it, cash and carry.

I apologize for the garbage picture. I will get better pictures of this thing (inside and out) shortly. I just figured I would get this out there now as it has been on the backburner for a while now.

EDIT: Better pictures added. It is using an Ultimarc I-Pac 4 and it appears these are all Happ controls. I figured as much. These control sets run around $60 each (joystick and buttons), the trakball runs around $40-$50, the Ultimarc is $65. Time and labor to make it (as well as parts) I expect it ran in the neighbourhood of $600-$700 to build this thing if I were to give an estimate.

IMG_20201202_173432.jpg

IMG_20201204_145433.jpg

IMG_20201204_145440.jpg

IMG_20201204_145446.jpg

IMG_20201204_145454.jpg

IMG_20201204_145459.jpg

IMG_20201204_145505.jpg

IMG_20201204_145510.jpg

IMG_20201204_145522.jpg

IMG_20201204_145541.jpg

IMG_20201204_145658.jpg

IMG_20201204_145705.jpg

IMG_20201204_145711.jpg

IMG_20201204_145717.jpg

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If anyone knows anything about the ultimarc board in this can someone please PM the member "Lastblade"? I posted that I "suspect" this to work (because the person who gave it to me said it did) and also said that I only briefly tested it. He says the board has a "red light"? I am not sure what that issue is, but again, I am no expert and this was sold as-is.

Edited by eightbit

Eightbit, I bought this under the premise that it is a working stick.  When I plugged it into my computer, none of the buttons or sticks register at all.  I followed Ultimarc's instruction of pulling up a notepad and using the buttons to see if anything is "typed".  It doesn't.  Although the board do light up, it is not recognized as a valid usb device.  I tried this on 3 different computers.  I also downloaded Ultimarc's software and it also doesn't recognize that it is plugged in.

I want a refund, since I bought this under the impression that it is a working stick.  I paid you $200 cash and you sold me a defective item.   You should make this right instead of saying "tough luck", I can figure it out.  I didn't want to spend more money, or time/effort to learn how to fix this. 

29 minutes ago, Lastblade said:

Eightbit, I bought this under the premise that it is a working stick.  When I plugged it into my computer, none of the buttons or sticks register at all.  I followed Ultimarc's instruction of pulling up a notepad and using the buttons to see if anything is "typed".  It doesn't.  Although the board do light up, it is not recognized as a valid usb device.  I tried this on 3 different computers.  I also downloaded Ultimarc's software and it also doesn't recognize that it is plugged in.

I want a refund, since I bought this under the impression that it is a working stick.  I paid you $200 cash and you sold me a defective item.   You should make this right instead of saying "tough luck", I can figure it out.  I didn't want to spend more money, or time/effort to learn how to fix this. 

I will make this perfectly clear. Here is exactly what I said regarding the state of this controller:

I know very little about arcade controls, but they feel like the arcade to me. The inside has a million wires and some boards. Plugs coming out are two USB and a PS2. I am assuming the PS2 is for the trackball and one of the USB's for the trackball buttons. I tested this briefly with a Raspberry Pi using just the one USB and the joysticks worked fine. He really knew his stuff so I suspect it all works as it should."

Suspecting it to work and knowing for sure if it all works are two different things. I only partially tested this a year ago and only tested half of it at that (it has two USB plugs, I was clear I only tested one). I was also transparent that I know nothing about arcade controls at all. This was sold as-is. Rest assured if I were selling this as "fully tested, everything confirmed working" this would have had a $600 price tag.

As I recommended, contact the ultimarc people and see what they say. I have no idea why a red light would come on or what that means at all. I gave you the email for ultimarc support after a quick Google search (andy@ultimarc.com).

The bottom line is that if the board is the only problem and even if it is bad it is still a minor replacement at $65 when I checked. The parts in this controller not to mention the woodwork/box itself are worth three times that of what you spent. I sold this as a cash and carry as-is item that I do not know much about and I was completely honest about that. Unfortunately a refund is not an option as I am not a store. When you pick up something on craigslist or at a yard sale you typically cannot go back and get a "refund" on as-is items.

EDIT: Here is someone with a similar issue and support helped him out:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/ipac-not-working-where-to-start.253627/

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

I asked you if it works, you said yes.  I trusted you given your tenure and reputation here, and due to Covid I respected your arrangement (sidewalk pickup).  But this thing is broken when I get home.  You aren't taking any responsibility, I would NOT have bought it if it wouldn't even recognize on 1 computer, let alone 3.  You are playing semantics here.  You either do the right thing or not.  It is pretty simple.

I will not never do cash transaction from now on, even with face-to-face transaction.  There are too many dishonest and just flat out immoral people who won't do the right thing. 

Edited by Lastblade
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lastblade said:

I asked you if it works, you said yes.  I trusted you given your tenure and reputation here, and due to Covid I respected your arrangement (sidewalk pickup).  But this thing is broken when I get home.  You aren't taking any responsibility, I would NOT have bought it if it wouldn't even recognize on 1 computer, let alone 3.  You are playing semantics here.  You either do the right thing or not.  It is pretty simple.

I will not never do cash transaction from now on, even with face-to-face transaction.  There are too many dishonest and just flat out immoral people who won't do the right thing. 

That is not exactly what I said. I did not say "yes, it works". I said exactly what I posted in the first thread. That I briefly tested half of it (one of the two USB's) and it registered on a retropie. I also told you that test was done roughly a year ago. You have outright refused to take any steps whatsoever to find out what the issue is at all. I have made quite a few recommendations to try to help get this issue resolved for you.

And, you should think twice before you continue your attempt to slander me here. Anybody who knows me knows I am straight up and I try to help and correct problems if they arise. I am trying to do that even considering this was not sold as "100% functional" at all. But if you refuse to put in the effort to help me to help you I can do nothing more.

If you do decide to actually troubleshoot the problem logically you can try a bunch of things that I just found with some quick Google searching for you.

1. The RED LED is a self test LED. I am still not sure what it means if it is solid red as you say. But, it is suggested online when issues arise to check and double check all of the wiring connections and ground connections. There are a lot of wires on this thing. I would check all of them one at a time. I did not dig around for the manual, but you should try to obtain it as I would suspect it will explain the self test LED codes. But again, dozens of wires. Maybe one is not making full connection.

2. Double check the USB/PS2 wire itself. Make sure the pins are not bent and it is making good connection. Make sure you are not connecting the PS2 interface or the USB's to a hub or adapter. Directly plug them into the computer. There was also a secondary port on that board that I noticed. I am not sure what that is but its worth a shot to look into what its function is.

3. Remove the device from device manager, reboot and let windows find it again.

4. If found by the OS, it may need to be re-flashed with the BIOS available on the Ultimarc website

5. Again, go back to the wiring. Looking at my own pictures of the board it appears quite a few of those wires are "coming out". While I have not given this more than a brief test and I know very little about arcade controls as stated, I do know that wiring that is coming out is never a good thing. It could be something as simple as a wire not making full connection.

6. If all else fails, you can email andy@ultimarc.com and ask him what he thinks the next steps should be. You can also start a thread in their support forum regarding the issue while you wait for Andy to reply.

Edited by eightbit

Since you left me with no recourse, I will have no choice but to remediate the problem myself.

You sold me a defective item, and you refuse to refund me.  Instead of doing the right thing, you continue to deflect the main issue here.  I would not have bought this if I know it is not working.  If it is so simple, you can take it back and fix it yourself or just resell it with full transparency that it is a defective item.  But you won't do that.

• Confused 1

Since you left me with no recourse, I will have no choice but to remediate the problem myself.

You sold me a defective item, and you refuse to refund me.  Instead of doing the right thing, you continue to deflect the main issue here.  I would not have bought this if I know it is not working.  If it is so simple, you can take it back and fix it yourself or just resell it with full transparency that it is a defective item.  But you won't do that.

So, the right thing (for you) is that I should give you a full refund on an as-is sold item?

What I am doing is trying to help you troubleshoot the problem so that you can get this to function... and in all honesty as the controller was sold as-is ("suspected" to function) I really do not have to do that at all. But, I am doing (or trying to do) that with you because I truly am trying to help remedy the problem. But you are apparently not reading anything I am saying just as you did not read the description of the item for sale before you decided to come and purchase it.

If you want to troubleshoot the problem please take my suggestions. I will not be discussing this issue in this thread further.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

He didn't sell you a defective item. The solid led means the board passed the self test. The fact that it works as a keyboard on a raspberry pi means the ultimarc ipac4 is working just fine. It sounds like you're having driver issues. If you aren't willing to at least attempt fixing your problem yourself, then you're going to have a REALLY hard time once you try to use this with MAME or other emulators. Sell your parts and buy an Arcade1up because it sounds like you're not cut out for this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lastblade said:

It doesn't light up.

2 hours ago, Lastblade said:

Although the board do light up, it is not recognized as a valid usb device.

Buddy I dont know what to tell you but at least get your story straight.

• Like 4

Nothing else to divulge.  When I plugged this in, it did lit up but no buttons/joystick respond.  I tried on 2 other computers, same thing.  Now it is not lit up.  I checked the PS/2 cable to make sure it is secure, but that is it.  I have no reason to break this to make you look bad.  I have made plenty of purchases (and sales) on this forum, and no beef with you since I only met you last night.  Do you want me to bring this over so you can show me that it is working?  If so, I will issue a public apology. 

1 minute ago, Lastblade said:

Nothing else to divulge.  When I plugged this in, it did lit up but no buttons/joystick respond.  I tried on 2 other computers, same thing.  Now it is not lit up.  I checked the PS/2 cable to make sure it is secure, but that is it.  I have no reason to break this to make you look bad.  I have made plenty of purchases (and sales) on this forum, and no beef with you since I only met you last night.  Do you want me to bring this over so you can show me that it is working?  If so, I will issue a public apology. 

I suspect it was working (self test LED displaying self test check good according to the member who confirmed that) and you did not install the drivers for it on any of these computers and then went off into a hissy fit because it was "bad". Then you probably starting plugging and unplugging it while it was connected to the PC and actually caused some kind of REAL problem with that board.

No, I will not meet with you again. Contact Ultimarc for support on the as-is purchase that you made. Goodbye.

• Like 2