IGNORED

Computers in grade school/high school?

MHaensel

18 hours ago, zzip said:

I think the real question is whether Atari or Commodore were serious in chasing the education market at that time?   Didn't seem like it.  

My school was all Apple, and they did start getting IIgs's while I was there, not sure if they count as 16-bit machines.

Commodore tried with the Pet in the early early days, and I believe later on with the Commodore 16.   but I don't think they ever tried with 16 bit stuff, plus I think by the time Atari and Commodore where dabbling in 16 bit, Apple had a strong arm on the school market.

Screenshot_2021-03-23 commodore 16 - Google Search.png

Screenshot_2021-03-23 commodore pet - Google Search.png

15 hours ago, Keatah said:

Specialty shop or not, there were many of them within driving distance. Surprised to see them live from the late-70's into the mid-80's as they weren't busy. Not like a Gamestop or other botique shop of today.

Sure but they were selling machines that cost a couple thousand dollars, so I'm sure there was a decent-sized margin / commissions there, so they could afford run more like a car dealer and only sell a handful a day.   There's not much margin on the stuff Gamestop sells