IGNORED

"Dragonfly" preorder

rj1307

2 hours ago, 7800 said:

I don't understand the need or want for a passthrough to play carts... when this thing eliminates the need for carts. The roms on an SD cart play exactly the same as an original eprom cart. Another thing to know is playing games from and SD cart is not emulation (as far as i know), and anything is better than emulation in most cases, although I will say emulating the 2600 on Stella is WAY better than original hardware. Just my two cents.

Imagine the notion of console game developers wanting to have their game on actual physical standalone cartridges. 

They may even want to see a box and manual published for their game too. 

A whole store could be built around this premise.  :-o ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, 7800 said:

I don't understand the need or want for a passthrough to play carts... when this thing eliminates the need for carts. The roms on an SD cart play exactly the same as an original eprom cart. Another thing to know is playing games from and SD cart is not emulation (as far as i know), and anything is better than emulation in most cases, although I will say emulating the 2600 on Stella is WAY better than original hardware. Just my two cents.

So lets assume you are a home brewer. You design a shit hot game that took you 1,000's of hours coding, testing, tweaking, rinse, repeat. You then release it on cart and the ROM. You sell 20 or so carts and that's it for the die-hards here who want the physical cart (and manual and box). Another 150-200 people download it for free, or a fee, but then share it with their friends here. You spent tons of effort for what, $1K gross, less what it cost for materials, and Albert's cut.

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Imagine the notion of console game developers wanting to have their game on actual physical standalone cartridges. 

They may even want to see a box and manual published for their game too. 

A whole store could be built around this premise.  :-o ;)

^^^ This ^^^
Without passthrough, Dragonfly is not useful for this. 

Here's an idea... Merge the Dragonfly with the XM hardware... In other words, put the DF in the XM case, and add cart capability too.

Dragonfly2.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think about this...

• Confused 1

People talk like the XM is done and ready to go.  It's not.  It took 10 years to get to that point.  It's not like duct taping two cereal boxes together and saying "Wow, now I have product A with all of product B's features".  There is not going to be a magical merging of anything with XM - not even the original console it was meant to plug into.

Here's a great idea.  I have a car, and I have a bird.  My car is stuck in traffic, but my bird can fly.  Let's just merge the features of my bird with the car.  Problem solved, just that easy.  Now I have a flying car.  Woo-hoo - here come the profits and dollars.  My god - some of the "great ideas" on this forum just kill me.

12 hours ago, Zonie said:

So lets assume you are a home brewer. You design a shit hot game that took you 1,000's of hours coding, testing, tweaking, rinse, repeat. You then release it on cart and the ROM. You sell 20 or so carts and that's it for the die-hards here who want the physical cart (and manual and box). Another 150-200 people download it for free, or a fee, but then share it with their friends here. You spent tons of effort for what, $1K gross, less what it cost for materials, and Albert's cut.

^^^ This ^^^
Without passthrough, Dragonfly is not useful for this. 

Here's an idea... Merge the Dragonfly with the XM hardware... In other words, put the DF in the XM case, and add cart capability too.

Dragonfly2.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think about this...

Maybe I'm missing something here... maybe I just need my coffee... Is the argument, there should be a passthrough for convenience, instead of having to unplug and remove the Dragonfly in order to play regular games???

1 hour ago, 7800 said:

Maybe I'm missing something here... maybe I just need my coffee... Is the argument, there should be a passthrough for convenience, instead of having to unplug and remove the Dragonfly in order to play regular games???

Name another multi-cart that allows for passthrough.  What am I missing?  Isn't the point of a multi-cart to be able to play all games on a system without removing the cart everytime you want to switch to another game?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Name another multi-cart that allows for passthrough.  What am I missing?  Isn't the point of a multi-cart to be able to play all games on a system without removing the cart everytime you want to switch to another game?

That's what I thought. I'm just trying to understand the argument that others are making in regards to homebrew carts. It sounds more like they are taking issue with any possible infringement on the sales of traditional carts vs. free roms... and that a passthrough would "accommodate" for those who choose to play those homebrews on cart. IDK

For those who have already received their Dragonfly... would you be interested in posting some pics of your setup?? I think it would be interesting to see what all your 7800s look like with the Dragonfly, whether it's red or purple...

Stephen, Yes, it is the point of a multi cart. Load games, play what you want. The point I tried to make is if someone wants passthru capability to play things that they cannot get on a rom, and get the features, that is a different project. Regarding Merging it with the XM, I really only meant the case and the ability to play hardware, as the case exists, and I'm sure that Curt's family would want it out of their basement and could use some revenue, so they could get used for something else, like this, so your bird/car analogy was pointless. Yes, let's move this to general Dragonfly announcement thread or elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Zonie said:

Stephen, Yes, it is the point of a multi cart. Load games, play what you want. The point I tried to make is if someone wants passthru capability to play things that they cannot get on a rom, and get the features, that is a different project. Regarding Merging it with the XM, I really only meant the case and the ability to play hardware, as the case exists, and I'm sure that Curt's family would want it out of their basement and could use some revenue, so they could get used for something else, like this, so your bird/car analogy was pointless. Yes, let's move this to general Dragonfly announcement thread or elsewhere.

THE DRAGONFLY IS A COMPLETED AND RELEASED PRODUCT. The XM IS LESS THAN 10 INCOMPLETE PROTOTYPE UNITS ABOVE VAPORWARE. They have nothing to do with each other and there is no merger of anything to be done at all at any point. FULL STOP. If you bought an XM at any time up to 10 years ago you still have nothing to show for your money. If you bought a Dragonfly as recent as 1 month ago you already have it in your hands and are playing along with your 7800 sporting a smile from ear to ear. There is no further discussion to be had.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Mine just arrived. It will be put to good use later today. ?

C32FD19C-7566-4F91-9A4E-D17B88AB4803.jpeg

<Edit> This is an excellent piece of tech! I tried DK XM (Demo), Millie & Molly, Popeye, Danger Zone and quite a few of the Originals and everything works and sounds beautifully. Hats off and thank you @rj1307 -This must be what "Willis" was talking 'bout.

Btw, the cart itself looks amazing. Pics will not do this justice. Can't wait for all of you to receive your carts.

• Like 14

@rj1307 If it's still possible I'd like to be added to the next pre-order list for the full, everything rocks, kick ass version of the cart:

Dragonfly basic version (without Pokey and YM2151), the set includes a memory card and a cartridge-console cable - 350PLN / $95
- As an additional option, Pokey Max - 160PLN / $43
- As an additional option YM2151 module - 100PLN / $27
- As an additional option, a cable with a 5.5/2.1mm plug (for people who converted the console power supply to a socket in this standard) - 20 PLN / $5
-Shipping 25PLN / $6.5
_______

$176.00 plus whatever extra it costs to ship to California, USA 

This looks Magnificent and no, it doesn't need a passthru... ?

On 12/31/2020 at 1:30 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Mine just arrived. It will be put to good use later today. ?

C32FD19C-7566-4F91-9A4E-D17B88AB4803.jpeg

<Edit> This is an excellent piece of tech! I tried DK XM (Demo), Millie & Molly, Popeye, Danger Zone and quite a few of the Originals and everything works and sounds beautifully. Hats off and thank you @rj1307 -This must be what "Willis" was talking 'bout.

Btw, the cart itself looks amazing. Pics will not do this justice. Can't wait for all of you to receive your carts.

Mine just arrived today. Nice way to start off the new year! :) 

What power adapter are you using with yours? I think the plug on the power adapter I had set aside for this has too big of an internal diameter to work.

1 hour ago, chicgamer said:

What power adapter are you using with yours? I think the plug on the power adapter I had set aside for this has too big of an internal diameter to work

I have these (from Amazon) and both work.

6BB1D18E-FD3E-4CDC-A818-BD8CCE488630.jpeg

84C5C642-765D-45C9-9B7C-C16941C8D98B.jpeg

• Like 2