IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

4 hours ago, Paul Green said:

Is there a consolidated place to get all the newest firmware and tools?  They seem to be sprayed over a number of forum posts.

HERE is the post that contains the most recent publicly released firmware, which also includes a link to the "tools" complete with instructions.

For convenience:

I. Lastest Firmware - 0.95 "No Flashing" - Download..

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=873125

1. Copy the above linked file - hbios_concerto_0.95noflash.bin - to the root directory of your SD card. Make sure there are no other files starting with "hbios" on the card, or it may load that one instead.

2. Insert the card into Concerto and boot. It will boot into Harmony mode and update the firmware, and when it completes, it will show a success screen and ask you to press a button to continue. Instead of pressing a button, you should reboot the 7800. Now your new BIOS is installed, and you can do future updates through the menu.

NOTE:  The screen will (still) show 0.94 after the above firmware, hbios_concerto_0.95noflash.bin, is applied.  This is known and normal, it is simply a typo.

II. Complete Instructions 

*Only needed if currently running 0.94 or below and cannot upload the above firmware via on-screen menu*

Linux 64-bit: https://github.com/sa666666/harmonycart/releases/download/release-1.3/harmonycart_1.3-1_amd64.deb

OSX: https://github.com/sa666666/harmonycart/releases/download/release-1.3/HarmonyCart-1.3-macosx.dmg

Windows: https://github.com/sa666666/harmonycart/releases/download/release-1.3/HarmonyCart-1.3-win32.exe

Plug in Concerto with your micro-USB cable, then start the software. If the cart isn't detected, you may need to install drivers. Generally, your OS will automatically find and install drivers, but if you need them, the purple PCB (older) Concertos use the FTDI drivers and green PCB (newer) Concertos use CH341 drivers.

Depending on when you bought your cart, you may need to remove the POKEY chip so the software can properly communicate. There is also a newer beta version of the Harmony programming software if you are having issues.

In the software, go to the EEPROM loader section and select the included eeloader_NTSC.bin (or similar) file, and click "download EEPROM." Make sure the download goes to 100%, and fully completes (text on the bottom of the window should indicate a successful download.) If it doesn't, you can retry.

Copy the file [Linked to at the top of this post - hbios_concerto_0.95noflash.bin] to the root directory of your SD card. Make sure there are no other files starting with "hbios" on the card, or it may load that one instead.

Insert the card into Concerto and boot. It will boot into Harmony mode and update the firmware, and when it completes, it will show a success screen and ask you to press a button to continue. Instead of pressing a button, you should reboot the 7800. Now your new BIOS is installed, and you can do future updates through the menu.

NOTE:  The screen will (still) show 0.94 after the above firmware, hbios_concerto_0.95noflash.bin, is applied.  This is known and normal, it is simply a typo.

If you install, please report your results with SD cards that (previously) did not boot, and of course [if] the menu freezes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

HERE is the post that contains the most recent publicly released firmware, which also includes a link to the "tools" complete with instructions.

For convenience:

I. Lastest Firmware - 0.95 "No Flashing" - Download..

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=873125 333 kB · 101 downloads

1. Copy the above linked file - hbios_concerto_0.95noflash.bin - to the root directory of your SD card. Make sure there are no other files starting with "hbios" on the card, or it may load that one instead.

2. Insert the card into Concerto and boot. It will boot into Harmony mode and update the firmware, and when it completes, it will show a success screen and ask you to press a button to continue. Instead of pressing a button, you should reboot the 7800. Now your new BIOS is installed, and you can do future updates through the menu.

II. Complete Instructions 

*Only needed if currently running 0.94 or below and cannot upload the above firmware via on-screen menu*

Linux 64-bit: https://github.com/sa666666/harmonycart/releases/download/release-1.3/harmonycart_1.3-1_amd64.deb

OSX: https://github.com/sa666666/harmonycart/releases/download/release-1.3/HarmonyCart-1.3-macosx.dmg

Windows: https://github.com/sa666666/harmonycart/releases/download/release-1.3/HarmonyCart-1.3-win32.exe

Plug in Concerto with your micro-USB cable, then start the software. If the cart isn't detected, you may need to install drivers. Generally, your OS will automatically find and install drivers, but if you need them, the purple PCB (older) Concertos use the FTDI drivers and green PCB (newer) Concertos use CH341 drivers, both of which are mentioned earlier in this thread and there should be links to download them.

Depending on when you bought your cart, you may need to remove the POKEY chip so the software can properly communicate. There is also a newer beta version of the Harmony programming software if you are having issues.

In the software, go to the EEPROM loader section and select the included eeloader_NTSC.bin (or similar) file, and click "download EEPROM." Make sure the download goes to 100%, and fully completes (text on the bottom of the window should indicate a successful download.) If it doesn't, you can retry.

Copy the file [Linked to at the top of this post - hbios_concerto_0.95noflash.bin] to the root directory of your SD card. Make sure there are no other files starting with "hbios" on the card, or it may load that one instead.

Insert the card into Concerto and boot. It will boot into Harmony mode and update the firmware, and when it completes, it will show a success screen and ask you to press a button to continue. Instead of pressing a button, you should reboot the 7800. Now your new BIOS is installed, and you can do future updates through the menu.

If you install, please report your results with SD cards that previously did not boot, and of course the menu freezes.

Thanks for the reply

However the cart does nothing when insterted into the Atari (goes to asteroids), nor does it recognise as a USB device of any kind when plugged into my PC  (I have tried 3 different USB cables)

What should I do at this point?  Has anyone got a support mail for Erstwhile as I need to register I am having issues.

Hi, I'm interested in buying a Concerto cartridge to play 2600 games including all the new homebrews. I currently don't own an Atari 7800 yet, but maybe down the road.

My question is can I use the Concerto cartridge on my Atari 2600 console and will all the games be compatible?

Since for now I will just be using it on my Atari 2600 I read in a previous message you can use the Harmony Encore firmware on the Concerto cartridge to get the full 2600 compatibility.

Can I just use that firmware and then down the road when i buy my 7800 I can use the proper Concerto firmware to use on that console?

Also is there anything different if you compare the Harmony Encore vs the Concerto as far as using it for the Atari 2600?

I just want to future proof my purchase and get the best option.

Also is the 2600 and 7800 cartridge shells the same. Will the Concerto cartridge fit in the Atari 2600?

Thanks!!

Saj

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I have a question, that is kinda frivolous I suppose, and may have been asked already-

I definitely want to put a Hokey in my cart whenever out comes out(not asking, @groundtrooper , lol, I'm patient, and don't wanna add another 30 days...).

But I also want to put my label on it NOW, and don't want to have a damaged label after I do get to install the Hokey.

So I'm wondering if one might be able to order a new label altogether, at the time of purchase of the Hokey?

Seems like a simple solution, really...

Hmm?

:)

Recently got mine, love it-want to update it, firmware and all, but kinda afraid to do so, it seems a tad complicated, I'm functional on a PC, but not great, and usually require step by step instructions, have been too...lazy to find them so far.

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

I also want to put my label on it NOW, and don't want to have a damaged label after I do get to install the Hokey.

Don't bother fitting the screw. The cart snaps together fine without it and will stay closed until you pry it open

• Thanks 1

Not like everyone is lucky enough to be able to do this, but I had an extra broken Atari 5200(not so lucky...), pulled the Pokey out of it(first chip I unseated in my life...), popped it into the Concerto-actually, I put it in upside down yesterday, and had given up, just had a wild hair today to try it the other way-

Works fine, Ballblazer and Commando seem on point to me-I don't really know what all homebrews use the Pokey, but I'll eventually check them as well.

Pretty nifty, now I can finally put my sticker on!!!

(I have the clear case, and mine doesn't hold together w/o the screw.

Super tickled, I really went a tad over my head, tech-wise, but it was easy-peasy, even for a dummie like me!

:)

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 4:54 PM, 128Kgames said:

I don't think it's like "Beetlejuice" ... ?

HOKEY is just about ready for release. The only thing I am still working on is the firmware update mechanism so that the latest sound drivers can be used on your HOKEY. Don't worry about availability, as all of the parts for HOKEY are already here, so there should be no worries about the chip shortage.

I wasn't expecting HOKEY to take this long, but it's been a little delayed for a few reasons, among those, because I am working on an upgrade module for current Concerto owners. Originally I thought only production Concertos could be upgraded. However, I have figured out a way to fully support both production and pre-production Concertos produced since 2020. This upgrade is expected support the games and demos that the stock Concerto can't support, such as EXO, and Rikki and Vikki. It should also support the new mappers that are being created right now.

The upgrade module should be around $20. I would sell it for user installation but I would recommend letting me install it. The plan is to have this ready before PRGE this year so I can upgrade Concertos there which will save some of us the trouble from having to ship them back and forth. Also, a new homebrew board is being developed in tandem that leverages the power of the module, so that most games that Concerto supports will also work on a low-cost homebrew board.

Do not worry about the chip shortage for anything I do. In this era where parts are so hard to find, I don't design hardware first and then hope the parts will be available when it's ready for production. I already bought the suitable parts and they are here and ready to go - it's all just waiting for me to finish the design.

• Like 13

On 3/14/2022 at 12:31 AM, batari said:

HOKEY is just about ready for release. The only thing I am still working on is the firmware update mechanism so that the latest sound drivers can be used on your HOKEY. Don't worry about availability, as all of the parts for HOKEY are already here, so there should be no worries about the chip shortage.

I wasn't expecting HOKEY to take this long, but it's been a little delayed for a few reasons, among those, because I am working on an upgrade module for current Concerto owners. Originally I thought only production Concertos could be upgraded. However, I have figured out a way to fully support both production and pre-production Concertos produced since 2020. This upgrade is expected support the games and demos that the stock Concerto can't support, such as EXO, and Rikki and Vikki. It should also support the new mappers that are being created right now.

The upgrade module should be around $20. I would sell it for user installation but I would recommend letting me install it. The plan is to have this ready before PRGE this year so I can upgrade Concertos there which will save some of us the trouble from having to ship them back and forth. Also, a new homebrew board is being developed in tandem that leverages the power of the module, so that most games that Concerto supports will also work on a low-cost homebrew board.

Do not worry about the chip shortage for anything I do. In this era where parts are so hard to find, I don't design hardware first and then hope the parts will be available when it's ready for production. I already bought the suitable parts and they are here and ready to go - it's all just waiting for me to finish the design.

Any chance you may email your previous buyers of Concertos when you do finish and offer up the mail-in upgrade service?  I hate to say, but some of us don't read the forums every day.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 1:31 AM, batari said:

Can you elaborate on the installation process? Would it involve removal of a surface mount package to install the new module?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

Can you elaborate on the installation process? Would it involve removal of a surface mount package to install the new module?

Yes, but as it's SOIC (1.27mm pitch), the skill level needed is lower than for a fine-pitch part, I expect that some may be able to successfully pull it off. The IC is also attached using a low-melt solder so that should help, and should come off cleanly with hot air. I am experimenting with both a 1.27mm header and a castellated PCB with a connector for attaching the module, and will go with whatever works best for the expansion module.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jagaroth said:

Any chance you may email your previous buyers of Concertos when you do finish and offer up the mail-in upgrade service?  I hate to say, but some of us don't read the forums every day.

I can, though from experience, some mail servers block the bulk emails I've sent, so keep that in mind. What may help is to add my email (it's c9r, using hotmail) to a safe list so it might go through.

• Like 1

I plan on purchasing a Hokey chip as soon as they become available. But in the meantime, I've been using a PokeyOne chip. Doesn't seem to be fully compatible with the Concerto, am I correct? 

BallBlazer's music worked great for about a half hour or so, but has suddenly stopped working at all. I might get a few seconds of music upon start, but after that nothing but constant clicking noises instead of music. I find it weird that I have never been able to get the music running correctly again.

Commando's music seems to work fine, as long as I use a stock 7800 console. If I use my composite modded (Yellow, Red, White plugs) 7800, the music will cut off about 5 seconds in.

Most of the Pokey Test Roms do not work, but a couple do such as Donkey Kong PK-XM and POKEY (Sample) (20140301).

Has anyone tried one of these PokeyOne chips in their Concerto? This website gives more information on this specific chip:

https://hotrodarcade.com/products/pokeyone-atari-pokey-chip-replacement-for-atari-arcade-games

DSC09662.JPG