IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

Hi all. Just got my Concerto today, looking forward to using it after I've finished modding my 7800 for S-video.  ?

If anyone's interested, I made a label for the cartridge in the spirit of the old 2600 carts. It's set to print four copies of the label with crop marks on an 8.5x11 page. It can also be safely cropped to an 8x10 if you want to print it at Walmart or similar (which is what I did). A little spray adhesive on the back and it should be good to go. I'm applying it to the clear shell; in theory the other translucent shells share the same dimensions for the label face, and hopefully the black shell does too.

Low-res preview attached to this message, and the printable PDF is in my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8hp29rnvalu0bg/Atari 7800 Multi-Cart.pdf

Atari-7800-Multi-Cart.jpg

Edited by SlagOMatic
  • Like 2

$3 to print it on a matte-finish 8x10 sheet at Walmart. Metal ruler, single-edge razor, and careful cutting to break it free. Right now it's not fully attached as I'm awaiting the arrival of a POKEY chip, but once POKEY is here and installed and working I'll affix it with some spray mount adhesive.

printed.jpg

installed.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

My Concerto arrived today. I'm impressed despite the "beta" firmware, I haven't run into any bugs so far.

It also seems to work just fine fine on both of my 7800 systems. Which both happen to be built in 1987.

I always regretted not picking up the CC2 when it was available, but I finally have a flash cart to try out some of the homebrews and hacks that have been coming out.

PS: I also realize this is my first post here in over 15 years...

• Like 1

I have installed an original POKEY chip in my Concerto flash-cart. For those of you who would like to get more information on how to do that, specially how to open without destroying ;) and assemble the cart and how to plug the POKEY correctly in I could recommend my article about it (in Polish but with a lot of pictures which shall be clear enough): 

Concerto plus POKEY review

The team Concerto + POKEY works like a charm, and my 7800 has got quite decent sound capabilities, specially visible in the latest homebrew games. Good job Fred!?

0350A66E-A0FC-4785-877D-761426EC7E15.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I got my Concerto Cart very quickly, which is awesome.  For some reason it won't play any of my 2600 games...except Parker Brothers' Spider-man!  Which is odd.  All my 7800 ROMs work great, but the 2600 just give me a black screen with some thick white lines going diagonal across the screen.  Help?

7 minutes ago, davpa said:

So I got my Concerto Cart very quickly, which is awesome.  For some reason it won't play any of my 2600 games...except Parker Brothers' Spider-man!  Which is odd.  All my 7800 ROMs work great, but the 2600 just give me a black screen with some thick white lines going diagonal across the screen.  Help?

Has to be formatted completely differently to run 2600 roms, is the short answer.

It's either/or, basically.

Get a Harmony for the 2600 stuff, save yurself some trouble.

:)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

Where did you get your 2600 ROMs? 

Are you using RomHunters pack?

I've had this ZIP for a very long time.  One of the folders is labeled for Harmony Cart.  I used that folder.  A few others here and there that I've had for 10+ years, so I can't tell you where the origins are.

Edited by davpa

12 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Has to be formatted completely differently to run 2600 roms, is the short answer.

It's either/or, basically.

Get a Harmony for the 2600 stuff, save yurself some trouble.

:)

I have an UNOcart.  I was hoping that the Concerto would do both, which it was leading me to believe that was the case.  I'd like to just have one cart for all my ROMs on my 7800 and 2600.  Is there a set of ROMs that are formatted in a certain way to play?  There must be as Spider-man plays, but I don't know what is different about that ROM compared to the others.

I think I'm going to make this as a label for my Concerto cart.  What do you think?

I still haven't been able to run 2600 roms with the 7800 roms.  If anyone can tell me how to fix that, that would be great.

Concerto_cartridge_psd.png

• Like 3

Hey guys, I'm trying not to bother the author here, I image he is busy with other things.  I got the cart and prepared the SD. A lot of 7800 games were freezing up and now most do not even boot. Is this likely a SD card issue? Do most games play ok?

58 minutes ago, ulao said:

Hey guys, I'm trying not to bother the author here, I image he is busy with other things.  I got the cart and prepared the SD. A lot of 7800 games were freezing up and now most do not even boot. Is this likely a SD card issue? Do most games play ok?

Which firmware is installed?

It could well be an SD card issue, I know that I had problems with a couple of SD cards before finding a stable one.

Worth looking at the early posts in this thread for some info about which cards work 

1 hour ago, ulao said:

I don't have as much experience with different firmwares for different devices and stuff as I do the SD cards themselves.

It does sound like it might simply be a formatting issue.

Make sure to do a full format, not a quick format.

Also, I dunno what the Concerto can handle, but it's always a good idea to try to find an SD card that is as small as possible, storage-wise, that's caused me problems in the past on some devices.

Started using/formatting SD cards when they were pretty much for cameras only, I was a tester for NEO Flash, NDS flashcarts, formatting, and understanding how to do it was pretty important in that testing process.

"Caveman", no real tech knowledge, but I'd try the reformatting thing a while before messing with the firmware.

(The firmware update actually scares me, haha, so I'm NOT yur "tech resource", haha!).

9 minutes ago, mimo said:

Which firmware is installed?

It could well be an SD card issue, I know that I had problems with a couple of SD cards before finding a stable one.

Worth looking at the early posts in this thread for some info about which cards work 

Is there a place to get firmware and how to update, I asked but was not given any info on that. 

1 minute ago, ulao said:

Is there a place to get firmware and how to update, I asked but was not given any info on that. 

Firmware updates are available in the pinned firmware thread. There are a couple of different methods depending on your start point.

But you will have to read through the thread to gather the info 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/314640-concerto-firmware-thread/

yup I got it now, is there a place for the latest firmware or do we need to sift thru all 30 some pages to find it?

S0 trying the 95 I put it on an sd and booted up the cart, got nothing but a flashing color screen, waited 15 minutes. Gave up and now my other SD does the same thing. So guessing something whet wrong.  I saw the post about flashing from a PC 

ok on the latest 95 ( I think) games still freeze will try another card. 

Edited by ulao