IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

Hello. I think I will be purchasing a Concerto Cart in the near future and I have some questions regarding it. I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask in, or if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

I understand that the firmware is a work in progress. How is the current compatibility for original retail 7800 games? Is it around 50%, 70%, or 90+%?

What are the current known issues if any?

How is the compatibility for demos and homebrew available to load onto the cartridge?

Lastly, I would like to purchase the cartridge with POKEY audio in mind. I have a copy of Ballblazer, but I would prefer not to damage it for it's audio chip. Ideally, I would like to order the cartridge with the HOKEY chip as one shipment to cut down shipping costs, as I have seen that it will have advantages over the older POKEY chip. Is there any chance to either pre-order the cartridge with the HOKEY chip and have that shipped out once the firmware is ready, or is there any way to purchase both now with the clear understanding that the Concerto is not yet comparable with the HOKEY?

Thanks for your time!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Inferon said:

Hello. I think I will be purchasing a Concerto Cart in the near future and I have some questions regarding it. I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask in, or if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

I understand that the firmware is a work in progress. How is the current compatibility for original retail 7800 games? Is it around 50%, 70%, or 90+%?

What are the current known issues if any?

How is the compatibility for demos and homebrew available to load onto the cartridge?

Lastly, I would like to purchase the cartridge with POKEY audio in mind. I have a copy of Ballblazer, but I would prefer not to damage it for it's audio chip. Ideally, I would like to order the cartridge with the HOKEY chip as one shipment to cut down shipping costs, as I have seen that it will have advantages over the older POKEY chip. Is there any chance to either pre-order the cartridge with the HOKEY chip and have that shipped out once the firmware is ready, or is there any way to purchase both now with the clear understanding that the Concerto is not yet comparable with the HOKEY?

Thanks for your time!

For original retail 7800 games, I believe it's essentially 100%. As far as I know, all of the games work with the latest firmware (but if I am forgetting any games, someone let me know.) Note that there are a few games (maybe it's only two or three) that currently need a patched version to work on the current firmware, but that will be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.

Some of the reported issues are that a proper manual for Concerto hasn't been finished, and as you stated, the firmware is still a work in progress, though recently I did put together a couple of new firmware builds and new builds will be released periodically until I am satisfied enough to call it version 1.0 :)

Not all of the modern homebrew games work, and though much of this is fixable in firmware, there is at least one advanced game that will not work without some sort of hardware upgrade (which is something I am working on.)

HOKEY is already rocking it on some homebrew game releases, and I think it is pretty much ready, but as a standalone product, the main issue with releasing HOKEY is the current system I have for Harmony and Concerto orders is not super efficient. It can't really handle the initial volume I expect from individual HOKEY sales. Most likely I will debut HOKEY at PRGE instead, so that people can just grab one (or more) at the AtariAge booth, and save the online release for after PRGE. That should reduce the initial volume a little and save me and others that attend PRGE the trouble and expense of shipping.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, batari said:

For original retail 7800 games, I believe it's essentially 100%. As far as I know, all of the games work with the latest firmware (but if I am forgetting any games, someone let me know.) Note that there are a few games (maybe it's only two or three) that currently need a patched version to work on the current firmware, but that will be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.

Some of the reported issues are that a proper manual for Concerto hasn't been finished, and as you stated, the firmware is still a work in progress, though recently I did put together a couple of new firmware builds and new builds will be released periodically until I am satisfied enough to call it version 1.0 :)

Not all of the modern homebrew games work, and though much of this is fixable in firmware, there is at least one advanced game that will not work without some sort of hardware upgrade (which is something I am working on.)

HOKEY is already rocking it on some homebrew game releases, and I think it is pretty much ready, but as a standalone product, the main issue with releasing HOKEY is the current system I have for Harmony and Concerto orders is not super efficient. It can't really handle the initial volume I expect from individual HOKEY sales. Most likely I will debut HOKEY at PRGE instead, so that people can just grab one (or more) at the AtariAge booth, and save the online release for after PRGE. That should reduce the initial volume a little and save me and others that attend PRGE the trouble and expense of shipping.

Thank you for the great response. I'm glad to hear that compatibility is so high. Since it sounds like everything will come together soon, I'll hold off on my order to get both at the same time. I'm really looking forward to getting them. Thank you for creating these.

I have one last question; with there being multiple versions of your HOKEY chip available, which of the versions will be compatible with the Concerto Cart?

Thanks again.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:17 AM, batari said:

Hi @batari

Just had two questions - Will you be selling standalone HOKEYs at PRGE, or focusing on completed Concerto cartridges with the HOKEYs built-in?

Will those of us who bought the production version of the Concerto, with the empty sound chip socket, be able to buy the standalone HOKEY online around the same time as PRGE is happening?

Thanks! 🙏 

2 minutes ago, TheRealOC said:

Hi @batari

Just had two questions - Will you be selling standalone HOKEYs at PRGE, or focusing on completed Concerto cartridges with the HOKEYs built-in?

Will those of us who bought the production version of the Concerto, with the empty sound chip socket, be able to buy the standalone HOKEY online around the same time as PRGE is happening?

Thanks! 🙏 

The focus will be to provide standalone HOKEYs, and the goal is to bring hundreds of them (or however many I can get together in the next month!). However, I will likely have some Concertos available at PRGE as well.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I bought the Concerto Cadridge with order number 703367720 and it came last week. 
When I put them in the 7800 console - nothing happened. 
So I took a close look at it and realized that due to the pressure, 
it was probably pressed during shipping (long way USA-Spain-Switzerland-Germany) and the quartz had come off on one side.
I soldered it back on and it works now. (ufffff!)

Unfortunately, I only now read information about the HOKEY chip. 
I would be very interested. Due to order number 703367720 I would 
ask you to inform me by email if possible when and if I can order a HOKEY. Thanks!
Regards Jan

Edited by JPSAF
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 3:26 AM, JPSAF said:

Hello, I bought the Concerto Cadridge with order number 703367720 and it came last week. 
When I put them in the 7800 console - nothing happened. 
So I took a close look at it and realized that due to the pressure, 
it was probably pressed during shipping (long way USA-Spain-Switzerland-Germany) and the quartz had come off on one side.
I soldered it back on and it works now. (ufffff!)

Unfortunately, I only now read information about the HOKEY chip. 
I would be very interested. Due to order number 703367720 I would 
ask you to inform me by email if possible when and if I can order a HOKEY. Thanks!
Regards Jan

Sorry to hear that and glad you were able to fix that.

I'll send you a free HOKEY for your trouble. They are pretty much ready - the only holdup is getting an order system ready that can handle the initial volume I expect, but I can definitely send a free one ;) Send me a PM and I should be able to get to it in a week or two.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, batari said:

Sorry to hear that and glad you were able to fix that.

I'll send you a free HOKEY for your trouble. They are pretty much ready - the only holdup is getting an order system ready that can handle the initial volume I expect, but I can definitely send a free one ;) Send me a PM and I should be able to get to it in a week or two.

Hi, I was about to order a Concerto cart, but I would like it with the HOKEY as well.  Should I order the cart now, and then the HOKEY later, or should I wait and order them together?  I'm not sure if there is a possibility of the cart selling out before the HOKEY is made available for purchase...

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Saljr said:

Can the Hokey be purchased by itself? I already have the Concerto. 

I have the same question.  I have an old pre-production Concerto, which I love...but no pokey installed.  Is it possible to buy just a hokey chip?  Or maybe trade in the old pre-prod model for a new one with the HOKEY installed?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Does this still hold true for those of us that bought through the reservation system?

2. An additional benefit from being a reservation holder is you will get the first shot at two new products I am working on:

"Two, HOKEY! HOKEY is a POKEY replacement chip, if you aren't aware. Unlike other POKEY replacements, HOKEY is microcontroller-based, which allows for flexibility that is hard to match with a standard hardware approach. So, HOKEY will not necessarily just be a POKEY chip. "

Thanks

Yes, an email will be going out soon with a private link, and this link will not have the inventory control so Concerto owners won't see HOKEY as sold out.

However, I want to comment that the way I did the reservation system didn't meet my expectations - the reason is that a percentage of emails never got to the recipient. Either it went to spam and was unnoticed, or was rejected entirely by the recipient's server. The worst offenders were the me.com, mac.com, and icloud.com domains, but other domains also refused my messages entirely.

It isn't really practical to track everyone down who has overzealous security on their email account, so I will apologize in advance to those who did place a reservation and then don't get any emails from me for whatever reason. I had no idea this would happen.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 11:46 AM, Dan Iacovelli said:

great to hear hokey chips are now on concerto I'll be buying mine next week.
then I will have three flash carts harmony encore(2600) concerto (7800) and Jag GD(jaguar)
and I can work on my own games for each (rework on my laserman 88 game I did while back as well
port them to 7800 and maybe jaguar)

just ordered mine can't wait to receive and use it

• 2 weeks later...