IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a long post. But, I am sure some have awaited announcements regarding Concerto upgrades for a while. To make this post more digestible I will be putting in some spoiler tags - click on them to expand the details of each section.

So to get started, here is a lineup of some of the things I will be talking about:

IMG_4635.jpg.cf4257b93a1954318510ee7172e3b812.jpg

From left to right:

Newest Concerto board, CEM #0 (through hole), CEM #0 (SMT), CEM #1, Concerto kit.

Read below for info about each device!

New Concerto board

Spoiler

Left, above in picture.

The new Concerto board is the same as the current, except it features a volume control potentiometer on board to allow simpler adjustments the output volume of your HOKEY or POKEY to match your preferences and balance against TIA volume. These are shipping now, so any Concertos ordered with a socketed HOKEY after around April 25 will receive one of these boards, and the pot will be adjusted to maximize your HOKEY volume.

Upgrades

Spoiler

Some have asked me about upgrading their Concertos to make them more capable.

I appreciate everyone who ordered a Concerto and has been patient about upgrades.

I designed production Concertos with additional IC footprints to add hardware. However, since this would only work on production Concertos, I have settled on a design that works on all Concertos. Production, pre-production, and even the 2016 "purple" Concertos can be upgraded to the fullest extent!

These are called....

Concerto Enhancement Modules

What are Concerto Enhancement Modules (CEMs)?

Spoiler

These modules are passthrough devices like the High Score Cart, but smaller in size, that go in between your 7800 and Concerto. Aside from HSC functions, all CEM devices provide hardware assistance, extra memory and other features to enhance your Concerto's capabilities.

First, all CEMs actually ARE High Score Carts! All feature (rechargeable) battery-backed RAM for seamless HSC support on your Concerto. This may then be backed up to Concerto's flash for permanent storage - no longer is there any worry about batteries dying in your HSC! Your console automatically charges your CEM on every use and will be fully charged in seconds. Even a completely dead CEM should be charged before the Fuji screen is done displaying.

See the picture above for some CEMs.

First, I want to talk about:
Concerto Enhancement Module #1

Spoiler

CEM #1 provides 544k of additional memory to your device, bringing the total to over 1M, which allows games like EXO to play. It also provides extra hardware support to play games such as PETSCII Robots, and improves game support with the current library of games.

Additionally, once you load a game with your CEM #1, the game can remain on the CEM #1 itself! What this means is you can then power off and leave just the CEM #1 plugged in your console and it will be able to play that single game as long as the battery remains charged. No need to navigate any menus again to play the same game. You can even remove your Concerto and the CEM #1 will act as a standalone cart for that game! You can even buy more than one if you want a number of games to easily switch between.

CEM #1 is expected to debut at just $25.

CEM #1 will support some optional features

• Audio amplifier and volume control for POKEY/HOKEY
  • Integrated HOKEY chip
  • Other features hidden behind the SD cards ;)

The CEM #1 boards just got here! As such I have not had time to assemble one, so I am just showing a mockup of the board and slot to show the size.

Or, if you want something with a feature set never seen on the 7800, there is:

Concerto Enhancement Module #2

Spoiler

This allows you to expand Concerto's capabilities to beyond anything else ever done for the 7800. This device is designed to be the ultimate accessory for your Concerto, and for your 7800. The CEM #2 is being designed with the goal of 100% compatibility with currently released Atari 7800 and Atari 2600 legacy and homebrew games, as of this writing. No other device in existence, either current or forthcoming, can do that.

CEM #2 will also have many cool features beyond just superior game support. I am sure that feature set will blow your mind.

But don't wait for CEM #2 as this is a ways down the pike. My goals are to get CEM #1 into the hands of everyone who wants one so nobody has to wait very long to enhance their Concerto.

Pricing is expected to be reasonable, but is not yet known.

The CEM #2 is still being designed, and there isn't yet a prototype, so none is pictured.

Now for those who don't need all the bells and whistles, there is the free option that I hope to get to every Concerto owner who wants one:

Concerto Enhancement Module #0

Spoiler

This is the "lite" version of CEM.

The goal with CEM #0 is to improve game support with the games that Concerto already supports and give you full HSC support. CEM #0 provides a small amount of battery-backed RAM for HSC use, and provides hardware assistance to improve game compatibility and playability on your Concerto, and free up more of Concerto's resources for future developments. If you are experiencing graphical glitches with any games, or any trouble with HOKEY or POKEY sound, this device will fix all. CEM #0 units are also here and undergoing testing, and I will be arranging to send out some units to developers soon.

The best news of all? CEM #0 devices are free for a limited time. Game developers get the first crack at them, then I will be giving around 100 or more of these away for free to other Concerto owners - just help me out with shipping costs - only a few dollars in the USA - and it's yours! I will cover shipping for game developers.

CEM #0 units can also be made with through-hole parts, so even after the initial 100 or so, I may offer more of these in kit form, also for the price of shipping.

See the picture above for the through-hole version of CEM #0, and the SMT version, the second and third items, from left to right.

Given what I have just said, though, I am sure you all want to know...

Since CEMs are HSCs, can they work with my original Atari game carts or homebrew carts that support HSC?

Spoiler

Theoretically, yes.

But note that a Concerto is needed for the initial setup of your CEM. Without this setup, the CEM will not work for Atari game carts or the majority of homebrew carts.

Also, CEMs differ from HSCs. A HSC is designed to hold memory for as long as the non-rechargeable battery holds, and once removed the scores are gone.

CEMs have rechargeable batteries. Although the device was designed to hold memory during your entire gaming session (which may contain several power cycles) and be backed up to your Concerto for permanent storage on flash after your gaming session, in practice, even the CEMs with the smallest batteries have been maintaining HSC memory for over a week. With the largest batteries, they could maintain memory for quite some time.

A few seconds of use is all that is needed to fully recharge your CEM, so regular use is enough to maintain memory even if you do not try to back it up to your Concerto.

As long as your battery remains charged and you set up your CEM in a Concerto first, you can use your CEM as if it were a HSC!

What if I don't want to upgrade at all?

Spoiler

Don't worry, I will continue to improve Concerto firmware to better support the current game library and give you the best experience possible. However, I would at least consider getting a CEM #0 when they are available!

Last but not least, I have a unique offering:

The Concerto Kit

Spoiler

It's the IKEA of flashcarts! Remember the days of our youth when we could buy one of those electronics kits and solder everything up? I remember the simple kits from Radio Shack and the more complicated Heathkits and I was sad to see them disappear.

Concerto has only 4 parts that do not have a through-hole version. So, I will provide a board with those 4 parts already soldered on, and you can solder the remaining through-hole parts and save yourself some money while you enjoy the fun of building!

Starting at just $49, the Concerto kit is half the price... but twice the fun! This kit includes all the parts you need to build your own.

What you get with the $49 kit:

• A special Concerto PCB converted to through-hole parts, with the four SMT parts already soldered on
  • All of the remaining parts that have a through-hole version!
  • A label to apply to your awesome creation when you are done!
  • A cart shell! This may be used or new. If used, you get to remove the label, clean the shell. In either case, you get to modify the inside to accept the Concerto board, and cut the SD and USB holes.

Optional extras:

• IC Sockets
  • HOKEY

These kits are coming soon.

If you want one now, I have four prototype boards on hand plus all of the parts needed - and these boards are fully functional and ready, as I have built one and it works great!

My only ask, if you get one of these first four kits, is that you report about your finished cart here for others to see, and to let me know of any challenges you had with the assembly, in case improvements can be made.

For these first 4 kits, I will be including IC sockets for free. Post here if you want one of these first four kits. Once the four kits are spoken for, please wait for the official release of this kit if you want one. As with any kit, please be aware of your soldering abilities before ordering. Although these are entirely through-hole kits, I don't think they are suitable for beginners, and I can't be responsible for anyone's lack of soldering experience ;) But I know there are enough people here with suitable skills!

Here is a more detailed picture of the Concerto kit:

IMG_4599.thumb.jpg.cdc9bd342ceda0130af5ad302345230f.jpg

OK, last but not least, there is no waiting list for CEM availability yet, so please don't post saying you want a CEM, or fill my PM box with requests ... just yet! If there is to be any sort of list, it will be in a separate post on the main 7800 forum. Thanks!

But please feel free to ask questions that don't involve lists! :)

• Like 19

Just registering interest in both a CEM #0 and a CEM #1 when they're available.

CEM #2 definitely has my interest piqued, but I'll hold off for more details before I start drooling on myself in anticipation ;)

@batari: Understood re: CEMs taking the place of on-cart upgrades - but would it be possible to perform on-cart upgrades on existing Concertos rather than going the CEM route?  Just curious to see how much could be squeezed into a single shell.

22 hours ago, batari said:

CEM #1 is expected to debut at just $25.

CEM #1 will support some optional features

Audio amplifier and volume control for POKEY/HOKEY
Integrated HOKEY chip
Other features hidden behind the SD cards ;)
The CEM #1 boards just got here! As such I have not had time to assemble one, so I am just showing a mockup of the board and slot to show the size.

How does a OEM POKEY already present on the Concerto itself work in conjunction with the above features of the CEM #1?

Specifically:

1.  Has the hardware configuration of an OEM POKEY present on the Concerto and a HOKEY present on the CEM #1 been tested together?

2.  Which is leveraged as the primary POKEY support by default - OEM POKEY on Concerto or HOKEY on the CEM #1?

3.  Can utilizing one over the other as primary support be selected? 

4.  Does the audio amplifier and volume control also impact the OEM POKEY on the Concerto?  If so, are independent settings for each chip, POKEY and HOKEY, possible?

5.  When both are present together, the OEM POKEY on the Concerto and Integrated HOKEY chip on the CEM #1, is support for Dual POKEY @$440/$450 and @$800/$810 available?

Will there be an optional cartridge (half) case for the CEM #1, perhaps similar to size/design of the "Lock-On 2600"?

Nevertheless, thank you for the update, Fred!

• Like 1

Hey Fred.  This is all fantastic news!  I am very much looking forward to getting one or both of the CEM modules.  However, in the meantime, I am wondering if there is a way to purchase a HOKEY chip to put into the Concerto that I already own?  I have a real POKEY in there at the moment, which works well, but I would like to swap it out with a HOKEY so that I can finally attatch my label to the cartridge once and for all.  (Then the POKEY can safely go back into storage for when I might need it for an XL repair.)  Thanks!

Is there a possibility of the CEMs being made with right-angled cartridge connectors?  I have this nervous tic forming over the idea that the 7800 will end up looking like my 5200 does when the 2600 adapter is plugged into it:

IMG_1103.thumb.jpg.13da16fa2af93e9f8d1507eac6ee4bf3.jpg

I really doubt that the Concerto plus Enhancement Module would come out to the height of that particular behemoth (around 11.25"), but if the possibility was there it would be appreciated ;-)

4 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

Rad. Have you considered enclosures for these enhancement modules? I'm tempted to volunteer designing 3D printable cases, assuming the PCBs have something suitable that the potential cases could hug/hold onto.

If there's an option to get a CEM #2 in a miniature Sega 32X-style case, or miniature Jag CD with movable "toilet lid", then you can definitely put me down for one right now.

1 hour ago, davidbrit2 said:

If there's an option to get a CEM #2 in a miniature Sega 32X-style case, or miniature Jag CD with movable "toilet lid", then you can definitely put me down for one right now.

I think it's very plausible I could make a mini 7800-shaped shell to serve as the go-between.

16 hours ago, Trebor said:

How does a OEM POKEY already present on the Concerto itself work in conjunction with the above features of the CEM #1?

Specifically:

1.  Has the hardware configuration of an OEM POKEY present on the Concerto and a HOKEY present on the CEM #1 been tested together?

2.  Which is leveraged as the primary POKEY support by default - OEM POKEY on Concerto or HOKEY on the CEM #1?

3.  Can utilizing one over the other as primary support be selected? 

4.  Does the audio amplifier and volume control also impact the OEM POKEY on the Concerto?  If so, are independent settings for each chip, POKEY and HOKEY, possible?

5.  When both are present together, the OEM POKEY on the Concerto and Integrated HOKEY chip on the CEM #1, is support for Dual POKEY @$440/$450 and @$800/$810 available?

Will there be an optional cartridge (half) case for the CEM #1, perhaps similar to size/design of the "Lock-On 2600"?

Nevertheless, thank you for the update, Fred!

Great questions, as it is certainly possible to have a HOKEY on each device or a POKEY in the Concerto and a HOKEY on one of the CEM devices.

First off, all HOKEY versions already support dual POKEY, so there shouldn't be any need for two chips in one device. The Basic HOKEY that people currently have supports dual POKEY via bank switching to avoid the need for additional devices or extra address lines, and so it can use an original POKEY slot.

The bank switching method is compatible with other devices, meaning that the HOKEY responds to either location and the bankswitch operations are ignored by a real POKEY or other POKEY substitutes. It is generally fairly easy to convert a game or demo that uses POKEYs at 440/450, 800/810 or 4000/4010 to use HOKEY style bankswtiching, and a number of demos have been converted. The conversions run equally well on either kind of dual POKEY setup. I have been meaning to release them.

But if someone does have a HOKEY or POKEY chip in the Concerto and the CEM, there is no danger in doing so as the audio output from the two devices will be mixed.

13 hours ago, Lakz said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any plans for a special injection molded case for Concerto carts so pokeyone/pokeymax can be used? 

12 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

Rad. Have you considered enclosures for these enhancement modules? I'm tempted to volunteer designing 3D printable cases, assuming the PCBs have something suitable that the potential cases could hug/hold onto.

The CEM #0 and #1 devices will be small enough that they can be covered in heat-shrink tubing. This will be the default as I want them to be as affordable as possible.

CEM #2 was planned to have an actual casing.

That being said I would love to see cases any/all of them even if they would be optional for the lower-cost devices, and I certainly do not have time to work on that right now.

12 hours ago, SS said:

Hey Fred.  This is all fantastic news!  I am very much looking forward to getting one or both of the CEM modules.  However, in the meantime, I am wondering if there is a way to purchase a HOKEY chip to put into the Concerto that I already own?  I have a real POKEY in there at the moment, which works well, but I would like to swap it out with a HOKEY so that I can finally attatch my label to the cartridge once and for all.  (Then the POKEY can safely go back into storage for when I might need it for an XL repair.)  Thanks!

Sorry for that, but I suspended HOKEY sales temporarily due to being busy helping Al get some boards together for homebrew games. Fortunately I finally caught up with my piece of that (while Al continues to slave tirelessly on it...!) So I can get back to building HOKEYs again, and once I get a stock built up I will start emailing people again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BILLYonaire said:

Which is better for someone like me who just wants to plug it in and play? The basic version, soldered on or the basic version, socketed for $15.00? Are the CEMs add-ons to the Concerto? I'm wondering if I should wait to place an order for a Concerto.

If you do not plan to replace the HOKEY chip, there is an argument there for saving a little money and getting it soldered on.

CEMs aren't what I would call add-ons, though, as some can also act as independent devices in themselves, and you can certainly order a CEM later. If you wait and order together you might save a little money on shipping but in the USA this is only going to amount to a few dollars.

1 hour ago, batari said:

If you do not plan to replace the HOKEY chip, there is an argument there for saving a little money and getting it soldered on.

CEMs aren't what I would call add-ons, though, as some can also act as independent devices in themselves, and you can certainly order a CEM later. If you wait and order together you might save a little money on shipping but in the USA this is only going to amount to a few dollars.

I don't have the know-how for replacing the chip, so perhaps I should just get it soldered on. I live in Canada, so it would be much better to order them together. Thanks for the reply!