IGNORED

Knight Guy On Board: 30 squares of fate WIP

vhzc

3 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

I love your progress with this game. Congrats on the nomination, is it open to public voting? 

Yes.

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/203-atari-homebrew-awards/

And I think most, if not all the games in all categories are posted in AA forum, so you can check all the nominees and vote with knowledge.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

This game is one of the prime examples of what 7800Basic is capable of. Maybe I could sketch out a couple of song ideas for this. Before I go, feel free to take a look at my current project, Victor.

Wait, this was created with 7800Basic? That’s badass! 

• Like 2

So I've just recorded a long play session of this and have a few things I'd like to ask about that I've noticed in the past but only now able to record in video:

- Does your attack level never get above 2? This ended up being a very long play session taking me over an hour to get through the game and I eventually got to level 28 but my attack level remained no higher than 2? Does it ever go above that?

- This might be intentional or a bug, but if you start to buy something and then quickly move left or right while the coins count down, you essentially cancel the buy process, but your coins remain depleted? The only way to buy something and make sure you don't lose your coins and actually get the item is to keep it in place while the coins count down and the item turns grey indicating it is sold out and bought. Seems the game shouldn't allow you to do this.

- There are some places where it seems we can quickly get out of the coin and experience counting after a completed minigame. Like the horse jump game for instance. But most of the time, this isn't a skippable thing and I really feel it should be. Especially on the Music notes and Knight Guy platform mini games.

- There are many times on the Knight Guy platform mini game where the ladder will automatically be extended when starting the mini game? This happened I believe if I had activated the ladder but was unable to complete the mini game previously?

- Some of the enemy experience gained vs hits don't seem to be very balanced. An example is that the Melaworms are worth 14 xp, only take 2 hit points and you deal out two hit points. But the Stabug on the other hand deals out 3 damage to the player, while only taking 2 hits from the player and you only get 12 xp when defeating it? Seems to me that it should give more experience based on it being the most hard hitting enemy in the game to the player.

- And I've stated this before and it is very obvious in my long play video, but the music notes will start off random for about the first 5 or 6 notes, and then it quickly drops into the same repeating pattern each time. Shouldn't that starting randomness be consistent throughout all 60+ notes?

Overall I have a lot of fun with it, but I still do NOT like the sliding puzzle game as I've yet to complete it and pretty much just slide stuff at random until all my moves are spent to get past it. Eventually once you are leveled up enough, it also becomes difficult for you to actually die and lose since you can have a massive amount of hit points compared to the enemies and with the power ups, you essentially don't have to use the potions much. As such I start failing some of the mini games just get through it quickly so I can try and complete the board.

While I know it might not be possible due to space constraints, it would be cool to have some slight animation on the enemies and characters that talk to you and in the battle screens. Nothing fancy even just a 2 frame animation to show some movement perhaps?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

So I've just recorded a long play session of this and have a few things I'd like to ask about that I've noticed in the past but only now able to record in video:

- Does your attack level never get above 2? This ended up being a very long play session taking me over an hour to get through the game and I eventually got to level 28 but my attack level remained no higher than 2? Does it ever go above that?

- This might be intentional or a bug, but if you start to buy something and then quickly move left or right while the coins count down, you essentially cancel the buy process, but your coins remain depleted? The only way to buy something and make sure you don't lose your coins and actually get the item is to keep it in place while the coins count down and the item turns grey indicating it is sold out and bought. Seems the game shouldn't allow you to do this.

- There are some places where it seems we can quickly get out of the coin and experience counting after a completed minigame. Like the horse jump game for instance. But most of the time, this isn't a skippable thing and I really feel it should be. Especially on the Music notes and Knight Guy platform mini games.

- There are many times on the Knight Guy platform mini game where the ladder will automatically be extended when starting the mini game? This happened I believe if I had activated the ladder but was unable to complete the mini game previously?

- Some of the enemy experience gained vs hits don't seem to be very balanced. An example is that the Melaworms are worth 14 xp, only take 2 hit points and you deal out two hit points. But the Stabug on the other hand deals out 3 damage to the player, while only taking 2 hits from the player and you only get 12 xp when defeating it? Seems to me that it should give more experience based on it being the most hard hitting enemy in the game to the player.

- And I've stated this before and it is very obvious in my long play video, but the music notes will start off random for about the first 5 or 6 notes, and then it quickly drops into the same repeating pattern each time. Shouldn't that starting randomness be consistent throughout all 60+ notes?

Overall I have a lot of fun with it, but I still do NOT like the sliding puzzle game as I've yet to complete it and pretty much just slide stuff at random until all my moves are spent to get past it. Eventually once you are leveled up enough, it also becomes difficult for you to actually die and lose since you can have a massive amount of hit points compared to the enemies and with the power ups, you essentially don't have to use the potions much. As such I start failing some of the mini games just get through it quickly so I can try and complete the board.

While I know it might not be possible due to space constraints, it would be cool to have some slight animation on the enemies and characters that talk to you and in the battle screens. Nothing fancy even just a 2 frame animation to show some movement perhaps?

Hi.

As always, thanks for testing.

- For now attack level only goes to 2, but all the HP, Attack, Enemy HP, Enemy Attack and Experience obtained will be tweaked once all the mechanics work and have been tested.

- The store issue is clearly a bug, and an ugly one. I will correct it in next beta.

- There is a variable that make the ladder appears, apparently is not being reseted correctly, I will check that.

- 7800 handles better a lot of little adds than bigger adds, that is why I use the coin to coin counter, but I can make it faster.

- Will be tweaked once mechanics are done.

- I will recheck pseudo-randomness.

Animations are really space consuming and currently roughly half of the rom is destined to contain sprites, so I don't think I could add animations for every enemy or NPC. Also I want to save some space for Intro and end-of-game images.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I just got a concerto cart and played this for the first time tonight. I wasn’t sure what to expect and I got game over rather quickly my first time around. 

But my second game I was completely there, I had to get the key I had to win all the mini games. After an hour maybe I finally got to level 7 I finally got to the shop to get the key and I finally made it to the door and….

C’mon don’t do this to me I need closure!  But seriously this was a ton of fun and I can’t wait to see it finished!  I love the idea of a board game on the 7800 especially a unique one like this. Thank you for a fun evening.

• Like 4