IGNORED

What do you think Nintendo will do for Zelda's 35th anniversary?

bluejay

The following February 21th marks the 35th Anniversary of the Legend of Zelda franchise. Looking back at Zelda's 25th and Super Mario Bros's 35th, I think it's safe to assume that Nintendo has something special in the works for us fans.

So far people have speculated stuff like Zelda Game&Watch, Breath of the Wild 2, remakes, HD remasters, limited edition hardware, and more. Personally I think the celebration will include more than one of those things. Zelda Game&Watch seems most likely out of the 5 I mentioned above, what with them being easy to make and has been done before. I think Breath of the Wild 2 might launch by February next year, but I don't think it should. I mean, is <4 years enough time to develop a new game that will impress even those that played BotW?

Remakes and remasters. So far, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Link's Awakening has been fully remade or remastered. That leaves us with the original Zelda, Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword which are games that are good enough to spark interest but flawed enough to deserve a remake/remaster.

Out of this, Skyward Sword seems to be the most popular although it's been only 10 years since its release. The main reason being its flawed motion controls. Although I, too, agree that Skyward Sword seems a bit to new to be remastered, Super Mario Galaxy was in Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and that's just 4 years older than SS, so there's a chance.

Personally I think LttP and the Oracle games are the most likely to get remade. They're old, popular(the Oracle games not so much but still), and hasn't been remade since their release in the 90s, unless you for some reason want to count ALBW even though it's not exactly a remake. Link's Awakening was remade for Switch a while back as you may recall, and both LttP and the Oracle games could use the same engine but with slightly different graphics to suit each game. It'd be cool if they released a limited edition pack that features a Zelda themed Switch Lite along with a combo pack that includes remakes of all 4 games that feature the Hero of Legend.

Then there's the original Zelda and Adventure of Link. The original is most deserving of a remake than any other Zelda game. After all, it's the original Zelda's birthday, not LttP's. But for some reason, I feel like it's less likely to happen than LttP. It's not that I like one game more than the other, I dislike both. If they're gonna make Zelda Game&Watch, it seems less likely that they're going to remake that same game on the Switch.

The last three games seem the most controversial, and I don't think Nintendo will remake them for the 35th anniversary because of the lack of demand for a remake/remaster compared to any other Zelda games.

Well, there you are. What I think Nintendo will do to celebrate Zelda's 35th anniversary; a remake of LttP and Oracle games and some limited edition hardware. Zelda Game&Watch. What do you think they'll do?

That's kind of hard to read... :D

I'd be more than just content if they redid what they did for Mario.  Give me a solid emulated 3-peat of excellence (Wind Waker, TP and Ocarina) emulated/upgraded like Mario Allstars and then also a nice Game & Watch (green plastic gold trim) having Zelda1, Zelda2, and either the Nelsonic watch LCD zelda since it's single panel, or rework the G&W version to somehow fit and not be a mess.

• Like 1

You know, what with WW, TP, and OoT having been remade so recently I'm not sure if people would want it more than the other games that have not been remade/remastered yet. But it'd still be amazing though.

Nintendo being Nintendo I'm not sure if the G&W would include anything more than the original Zelda. The LCD games are unpopular, unfun, and obscure. SMB had a LCD version and it never got a release. Chances seem slim.

Mario 35 game seems cool, but it's already losing wind, perhaps because its going to be completely removed and never used again in a few months. 

If they wanted to do something in a similar vein for Zelda, a randomiser for zelda 1 again defeated enemies appear on other screens could be easily created with minimal effort. And just as Nintendo likes it can make it latest gen exclusive and rip it from gamers hands a few months later. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, Skyward Sword HD. Interesting. It'll undoubtedly be a great game since motion control was one of the biggest flaws of SS, but I still stand by the fact that it was a boring choice. I mean, fans have waited for 10 whole years since 2011, and they get the same game again. Can't wait for 2031.

Well I suppose one could interpret Skyward Sword HD as a quiet apology for releasing a game with fairly broken controls that hampered if not ruined the experience of the game so much people just quit on it.  The concept was solid and I put up with it for a good stretch, but the controls made me get rid of it and never grab it again even after getting another Wii 1-2 years ago.  With the game having normal controls it would be far more fun and not an awful infuriating trolling chore to play.

• Like 1

I mean really, I don't hate the original Skyward Sword's motion controls. I mean, sometimes it registers a stab as a swing, and the sword is awkwardly pointing in the wrong direction, but I still found the game to be fun to play. Switch version obviously would be better and I'm sure it'd be a hit but still.

• Like 1

The pseudo 1-to-1 control of the sword was probably neat on paper, but then execution was something to be desired when it came to directional puzzles. Having to slash horizontal to slice one of those plant creatures with the armored carapace but having your swing misread followed by your swird bouncing off the shell was frustrating. Having to try and hammer in a magical post into the body of a giant walking mound in an odd direction was downright enfuriating. Either I couldn't figure out the direction the game wanted me to smack the post (which in itself made no sense-I'm using a thin edged weapon to act as a hammer-that's like trying to put nails into wood with a butter knife) and when I did, the Motion+ read the movements wrong or I wasn't perfect.

It was the first Zelda I played I never finished. And while I sometimes think I want to have another go at it, I remind myself of the controls.

An LCD game like Super Mario would have been great. I play the first game on a regular basis anyway so to have it in a neat package to display and play would be great.

• Like 3

Not a surprise that Skyward Sword will be standalone. Kind of fell through the cracks the first time around for many people and Nintendo doesn't hesitate to price remasters at full price. Rumor though has it that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are on the way, so maybe we'll see a double pack of those given their previous appearance on the Wii U.

Will be curious if that happens to discover if they're Wii U ports or emulation. I wouldn't mind seeing Wind Waker be emulated just on the basis of seeing many beautiful Dolphin screenshots of it and not being a fan of the Wii U's overhauled lighting system in Wind Waker HD, but Twilight Princess really benefited on Wii U from the graphical overhaul. 

For remastered Zelda content though, what I want to see are HD remasters of their 3DS entries. I'm happy with my two Wii U discs and I've yet to even open my copy of Skyward Sword, but would double dip in a heartbeat if A Link Between Worlds HD and a double pack of Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask 3D were to appear. A bit more problematic though than Wii U ports perhaps, since the 3DS was reasonably successful and many gamers played these semi recently.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 10:55 AM, Gamemoose said:

The pseudo 1-to-1 control of the sword was probably neat on paper, but then execution was something to be desired when it came to directional puzzles. Having to slash horizontal to slice one of those plant creatures with the armored carapace but having your swing misread followed by your swird bouncing off the shell was frustrating. Having to try and hammer in a magical post into the body of a giant walking mound in an odd direction was downright enfuriating. Either I couldn't figure out the direction the game wanted me to smack the post (which in itself made no sense-I'm using a thin edged weapon to act as a hammer-that's like trying to put nails into wood with a butter knife) and when I did, the Motion+ read the movements wrong or I wasn't perfect.

It was the first Zelda I played I never finished. And while I sometimes think I want to have another go at it, I remind myself of the controls.

An LCD game like Super Mario would have been great. I play the first game on a regular basis anyway so to have it in a neat package to display and play would be great.

Dude preach it.  It wasn't the first I bailed on, Majora's Mistake is f'ing awful.  I remember those problems now, but after a decade my mind mostly focuses on the absolutely infuriating repeated battles with Ghirahim which pops up really early in the game too.  On paper, as you put it, it's nice.  You defend with the shield, and then have a tiny window to slash or poke check the dude with your sword.  In reality it never works right.  My strategy as long as I tolerated the game was to tank damage.  I'd bash the hell out of the guy with my shield taking damage, then slash as much as possible until he put up the guard again.  It was a mess, and often ran me down to the last heart, more so using bottles later too as the challenge increases, and it just sucked.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Dude preach it.  It wasn't the first I bailed on, Majora's Mistake is f'ing awful.  I remember those problems now, but after a decade my mind mostly focuses on the absolutely infuriating repeated battles with Ghirahim which pops up really early in the game too.  On paper, as you put it, it's nice.  You defend with the shield, and then have a tiny window to slash or poke check the dude with your sword.  In reality it never works right.  My strategy as long as I tolerated the game was to tank damage.  I'd bash the hell out of the guy with my shield taking damage, then slash as much as possible until he put up the guard again.  It was a mess, and often ran me down to the last heart, more so using bottles later too as the challenge increases, and it just sucked.

I hear you on Majora's Mask- I think that was the only Zelda title I played and gave up on after a little bit because of the (to me) weird gameplay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I hear you on Majora's Mask- I think that was the only Zelda title I played and gave up on after a little bit because of the (to me) weird gameplay.

That's a nice way to put it...weird.  They took the existing engine, made mind you a really GOOD idea for a story and twist setup with skull kid vs the big moon, but they blew it.  They borrowed geometry and assets, made some new clearly(lots) to save a lot of time as it was a rush job to shore up some ugly wide empty release holes in the late N64 era.  SO you had this overly short game they rushed out, so what's the worst possible ways to make it longer?  Easy.  Implement a mask system(or some similar) where 2/3 of them are useless utter crap that is just fetch quest non-sense to rack up time on the clock to cover other deficiencies such as only having 4 dungeons.  And the other, to have the stupid clock have to be reset or DIE every three days, so you best bank what you care about or you lose it, plus progress ends up being lost too if you don't hit specific points as well.  Nothing says fun like having to re-do crap over because of the kill clock.  I'm probably up to nearly a half dozen attempts since it came out to get myself to like it, and I try, really, but nothing seems to help it, not even age...it sucks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 10:37 PM, Tanooki said:

That's a nice way to put it...weird.  They took the existing engine, made mind you a really GOOD idea for a story and twist setup with skull kid vs the big moon, but they blew it.  They borrowed geometry and assets, made some new clearly(lots) to save a lot of time as it was a rush job to shore up some ugly wide empty release holes in the late N64 era.  SO you had this overly short game they rushed out, so what's the worst possible ways to make it longer?  Easy.  Implement a mask system(or some similar) where 2/3 of them are useless utter crap that is just fetch quest non-sense to rack up time on the clock to cover other deficiencies such as only having 4 dungeons.  And the other, to have the stupid clock have to be reset or DIE every three days, so you best bank what you care about or you lose it, plus progress ends up being lost too if you don't hit specific points as well.  Nothing says fun like having to re-do crap over because of the kill clock.  I'm probably up to nearly a half dozen attempts since it came out to get myself to like it, and I try, really, but nothing seems to help it, not even age...it sucks.

I gave up on it too after beating two of the dungeons due to the goofy time travel stuff

• Like 3