IGNORED

Concerto firmware thread

batari

1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

Am I missing something by the "homebrew" route?

Not really - I just used it as a package manager to install the Qt6 packages in order to get the new version of the Harmony Flasher working on my machine.  Doing so involved still having to remove the POKEY in order to flash, but once the firmware (21423) that supported flashing directly from the Concerto was installed, removing POKEY hasn't been necessary.

1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

Is this something that I could bounce back to .95 whenever, without removing POKEY? Or, is this not until the range is .96 and up?

That's a really good question, and one that I don't have an answer for as I've never tried it ;)

Just to clarify what needs to happen in order to flash firmware without having to remove POKEY in the future:

• This post contains two attachments: the 0.96 (build 21423) BIOS and Concerto BIOS Updater
    • Install the 0.96 BIOS file using the HarmonyCart Flash tool (i.e., remove POKEY)
    • Copy the Concerto BIOS Updater to the root of the SD Card
  • This post contains the first BIOS (21523) able to be flashed by the Concerto BIOS Updater
    • Delete any old BIOS files you may have in the root of the SD Card
    • Copy it to the root of the SD Card
    • Run the Concerto BIOS Updater directly from the Concerto
      • It should find the BIOS file and install it automatically

At this point, you should be good to go for future updates.  I'm really not certain how rollbacks would work, or if going from 0.96 to 0.95 would even be possible.  Something tells me it's not (at least, not easily), but that's just a hunch.

• Like 1

I updated my Concerto today for the first time since receiving my HOKEY a few weeks ago. Since I was on an older build, I had to use the Harmony flashing software but it worked fine without needing to remove the HOKEY. Once updated, I was able to the Concero BIOS Updater.cu file that Fred provided a few weeks back to use the cart to update itself to the 030723 build. Slick. :)

Apologies to the homebrew authors who've provided files for people to check these last few weeks. Work has been completely sucking me dry these last several months and I haven't had time to focus on stuff as much I have in the past. 

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Once updated, I was able to the Concero BIOS Updater.cu file that Fred provided a few weeks back to use the cart to update itself to the 030723 build. Slick. :)

How does that work?  I must have missed this.  Can I use that if I'm on an older firmware (probably from last June or whenever Alien Brigade was finally fixed).

43 minutes ago, Tempest said:

How does that work?  I must have missed this.  Can I use that if I'm on an older firmware (probably from last June or whenever Alien Brigade was finally fixed).

See the post from right above mine, from @x=usr(1536). He helpfully linked the posts from @batari with the specific files you need. Basically, you have to upgrade your cart to a baseline firmware the "old way" using a USB cable and the Harmony flashing software. After you've got it upgraded to that level of firmware, future firmware can be flashed by the cart itself using Fred's flashing program (the .cu file I mentioned). 

Currently, it may be helpful to distinguish between the latest firmware files that should be leveraged on the Concerto page:

Concerto with a replacement HOKEY sound chip:
hbios_concerto_0.96_build_30323_NTSC.bin (Ignore old nomenclature from the build environment. Firmware is compatible with both PAL and NTSC).
SOURCE: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/314640-concerto-firmware-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5220223

Concerto with an original POKEY sound chip:
hbios_concerto_0.96_build_30723.bin
SOURCE: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/314640-concerto-firmware-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5221902

There was a vast difference in my experience, which included new POKEY released games as well as TIA melody playback (Alien Brigade title screen).

The "hbios_concerto_0.96_build_30723.bin" firmware is not sited on the Concerto page under the Firmware downloads section.

@batari, @RevEng I would be happy to maintain the Firmware downloads section on the page, as new firmware file updates are made available publicly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trebor said:

If this version was installed on a unit with a Hokey, would there be any problem?  I flashed mine using it, and I’ve got a Hokey instead of a Pokey. 

13 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

See the post from right above mine, from @x=usr(1536). He helpfully linked the posts from @batari with the specific files you need. Basically, you have to upgrade your cart to a baseline firmware the "old way" using a USB cable and the Harmony flashing software. After you've got it upgraded to that level of firmware, future firmware can be flashed by the cart itself using Fred's flashing program (the .cu file I mentioned). 

Ah thank you.  I'll need to dig through this thread to see where the actual update instructions are.  I completely forgot that I had to remove the Pokey to update the firmware!

1 hour ago, Snogpitch said:

If this version was installed on a unit with a Hokey, would there be any problem?  I flashed mine using it, and I’ve got a Hokey instead of a Pokey. 

I was able to downgrade to the Hokey version from a few days earlier.  I wasn’t sure it would let me, but all is good now. 

39 minutes ago, Tempest said:

When I update using the software on Windows, do I need to upgrade to the intermediate firmware (build 21423) then update to the latest using the Concerto itself or can I just update to the latest all at once?

Go to 21423 via Windows first.  Once that's done, you'll be able to install the most recent build using the Concerto BIOS Updater.  Trying to flash any update after 21423 directly using the Harmony flasher is not recommended.

Folks, no matter how thin you slice it, there will need to be one final POKEY removal to get to the point where that's no longer necessary.  At least it'll be the last one.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Once I update to the latest firmware using the .CU updater can I use the option from the menu from then on?

For now you'll still need to use the Concerto BIOS Updater, but it is eventually going to be built into the menu.  The two just haven't been integrated yet.

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Folks, no matter how thin you slice it, there will need to be one final POKEY removal to get to the point where that's no longer necessary.  At least it'll be the last one.

Before receiving my HOKEY a few weeks ago, the last time I updated my Concerto before that a few months back I just kept retrying every time I got that "Fail" message and eventually it worked. When I updated to 21423 last night, I didn't have to remove my HOKEY either. 

So, I guess all I'm saying is peoples' mileage may vary here. 

I'm pretty sure the last time I updated my Concerto I didn't remove the POKEY and it went fine (I didn't know I had to).  I did remove it this time before I updated though just in case. 

Is there any reason to keep the screw in the center of the case?  I completely forgot I had it in there but thankfully figured it out before destroying the case (I was able to carefully peel the label back and remove it).

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Probably not.  The one in my cartridge was removed a couple of years ago and it's been fine ever since.

Same here. The cart stays together quite well without the screw, and it makes it easier for maintenance.

I still might wait a little bit longer before I put my decal on.

@x=usr(1536) -- Thank you for the post above. I removed my POKEY and upgraded to .96. Then I was able to use the concerto updater WITH POKEY INSTALLED, to the most recent version.

@batari This is really great to be able to update without removing my POKEY chip. Also thanks for restoring the sound. Please do note that the sound is still glitchy. It will occasionally just fire off a random pitch, miss a note, or hold a note (see below). I just wanted you to be aware. I feel more comfortable keeping up with the latest firmware version since I have some sound. It would be nice to go back to stable sound for recording videos, without removing my POKEY chip.

Is it possible to get a .95 version firmware that updates with the new Concerto update utility?  This way, I could bounce back to .95 when I make videos downstairs.

Here is an example of the random notes in Popeye. Listen for when Popeye punches the AtariAge icon. That should be a clean sweep. The title music also stumbles during the faster runs.

Note that MOST of the music & sound in PentaGo is TIA. (Only the, two, in-game background music is POKEY). RatTrap is all POKEY music, except for sound effects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

@x=usr(1536) -- Thank you for the post above. I removed my POKEY and upgraded to .96. Then I was able to use the concerto updater WITH POKEY INSTALLED, to the most recent version.

Glad it worked for you.  Being able to update without having to remove POKEY is a huge improvement.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tep392 said:

So if I'm running a HOKEY in  my concerto, is the 30327 BIOS the best choice?

There is no 30327 BIOS. ;)

Per Fred, the difference between the firmware posted on 30323 and 30723, is the following:

Version 30723:  "This version rolls back most the changes that helped HOKEY compatibility but hurt POKEY compatibility."

Therefore, in general, if a Concerto has a HOKEY installed, the 30323 file posted is likely the better choice.

If a Concerto has a POKEY installed, the 30723 file posted is likely best.

• Like 2

SOLVED 

I have no idea what solved the problem but I removed my Pokey chip and ran the Harmony software as "Administrator" under windows 10.  The Concerto cart was recognized and I did "File->Download BIOS".  21423 was on the root of my SD card as hhbois.bin.  I put the Concerto in my 7800 and it said .96 - just for completness I turned off my 7800 (I did not hit fire) and restarted - then went into the menu and it appears to be ok.

The new menu update also worked so hopefully I dont have to mess with Win10 anymore :P

-----------------------------

This makes no sense to me.  I have a Pokey so I am told to upgrade to 21423 first using the Programming tool.  Im not updating the EEPROM so I assume I only need Step 2 which just copies the BIOS file to the root of the SD card and tells me to power it up in the 7800.

image.png

So how is this different than "updating via the menu" in the new releases? I would just copy the BIOS file to the root of the SD card the same way right??

What am I missing?

Do I need to remove the Pokey chip in order for Windows to see the Harmony cart and update?

Also - The Harmony software doesnt seem to find my Harmony cart connected to my Win10 PC - any trouble shooting for that?

Edited by Goochman

My Concerto has firmware 30323 and Pokey.

Therefore I tried to update to 30723 from the menu, as described here (menu-based firmware update): http://7800.8bitdev.org/index.php/Concerto

Tried three times but firmware remained 30323.

I was able to update with Harmony Programmer Tool: Step 2, selected 30723 HBIOS and clicked on "Copy HBIOS" to SD card.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 7:01 PM, darryl1970 said:

Same here. The cart stays together quite well without the screw, and it makes it easier for maintenance.

I still might wait a little bit longer before I put my decal on.

@batari This is really great to be able to update without removing my POKEY chip. Also thanks for restoring the sound. Please do note that the sound is still glitchy. It will occasionally just fire off a random pitch, miss a note, or hold a note (see below). I just wanted you to be aware. I feel more comfortable keeping up with the latest firmware version since I have some sound. It would be nice to go back to stable sound for recording videos, without removing my POKEY chip.

Is it possible to get a .95 version firmware that updates with the new Concerto update utility?  This way, I could bounce back to .95 when I make videos downstairs.

Here is an example of the random notes in Popeye. Listen for when Popeye punches the AtariAge icon. That should be a clean sweep. The title music also stumbles during the faster runs.

Note that MOST of the music & sound in PentaGo is TIA. (Only the, two, in-game background music is POKEY). RatTrap is all POKEY music, except for sound effects.

I reverted back to .95. The video above was the best I ever got it to play. I tried it on two systems, and it's still not the same as .95.

While playing Popeye, collecting the hearts sound like random number generated sounds. The music for the Spinach music, as well as the intro and level clear tunes, are way off.

I pulled the POKEY out of the cart one more time.

I wonder if I should give up on trying to use an actual POKEY. @batari, would it be better to purchase a plug-in HOKEY module for Concerto, or is it helpful to have some real POKEYs out there for testing? The only concern I have is having to constantly pull my POKEY chip to go back to .95. That version rocks for POKEY sound! It works for about every game I try.

--Darryl

23 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

I wonder if I should give up on trying to use an actual POKEY.

One thing I would mention in relation to this: POKEY is still the gold standard for 7800 audio.  Aiming for compatibility with it ahead of other options would probably be the best bet for now, given that it's what the userbase has had the most time to install.

As an adjunct to the above, HOKEY is definitely on my radar but I'm holding off on going in for one (or more) until it's a little further along.  It's probably safe to assume that others are taking the same approach.

Besides, targetting POKEY would be a good way to test base HOKEY compatibility - if everything's right with HOKEY, then writing for POKEY shouldn't matter and both should Just Work™ ;-)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!  I just got my Concerto.  It has firmware 0.96.  I ordered it with a socketed HOKEY chip. All games work, except for Ballblazer and Commando, which feature no sound. Are there troubleshooting steps I can take? (I didn't find anything on the main site except the ordering page.)

I'd

13 hours ago, CommodoreDecker said:

Hi!  I just got my Concerto.  It has firmware 0.96.  I ordered it with a socketed HOKEY chip. All games work, except for Ballblazer and Commando, which feature no sound. Are there troubleshooting steps I can take? (I didn't find anything on the main site except the ordering page.)

I'd pop the cart open, ensue the HOKEY is aligned correctly, and reseat it.

• Like 1