IGNORED

SNK will release a "brand-new console" in 2021

IntelliMission

It looks like it will have new games and not take the "mini" approach:

According to Silicon Era, the Japanese tweet said something similar, but it was along the lines of “Stay tuned for an all-new product that meets the passion of game fans and the needs of console games.” Details are light for now, as the information from the tweets are all we have from SNK.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Like 2

SNK has plenty of capital backing now.  We'll see what happens.  They could build something interesting.  Will they take a risk?

Pinball made a comeback.  With the pandemic winding down, Can the MVS/AES come back if they hit a low price point?  That would give them an interesting niche.

Unlike Intellivision, Coleco, and Atari, they have valuable and relevant first party IP that I would pay to play.  Their games still matter.  I would feel better about them if they could get Sega and Capcom on board, though.  Street Fighter and Sonic would never have shipped on a Neo Geo machine back in the day, but everything has changed.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yep, a portable port of Genny Sonic 2 in the Dreamcast era.

My apologies.  I was thinking of the much earlier Genesis era when the MVS/AES machines were introduced.  In the early nineties, Sega didn't share their exclusive IP with direct competition.  Both Sega and Capcom were in the arcade hardware business in the early-mid 1990's as well--and they weren't likely to cede their position to the MVS.

By 1999, Sega was banking on Sonic 3D.  You're right; at that point (and with the Game Gear scheduled for EOL), Sega didn't worry about hurting their own hardware sales with a Sonic 2 game ported to a portable SNK machine.

Edited by orange808
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

It looks like it will have new games and not take the "mini" approach:

According to Silicon Era, the Japanese tweet said something similar, but it was along the lines of “Stay tuned for an all-new product that meets the passion of game fans and the needs of console games.” Details are light for now, as the information from the tweets are all we have from SNK.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I'm really looking forward on see more regarding this IntelliMission. I wonder what they have plan on doing for 2021. Thank you for sharing this on the thread. I came by to show support and make a comment. ;-)

Anthony..

I'm willing to watch and be convinced.  Like has been said before, SNK has relevant properties they could make exclusive.  And talent that could turn them into awesome games.

The question then becomes, what can they do to make me spend the money on the hardware?  I have two $300 consoles, I really don't want another.  So they'll have to either be a budget console or knock it OUT OF THE PARK to get me to bite.

• Like 4

This is the same thing that SNK talked about waaaay back in 2019(apparently they have two consoles in development, not just this one). I think the tweets today were just to remind everyone that they're still working on it.

Still, could be interesting, depending on how they handle it, but too soon to tell. At least they aren't crowdfunding it, so that's one plus.

• Like 3

Since no details have been announced, the only thing we can do is either saying what we would like the console to be or doing predictions.

In one of these predictions, somebody recently said that he suspected the console will be a compilation of existing fighting games with online support. I don't think this will turn out to be true, because 1) SNK has more than just fighting games and 2) There is nothing that indicates that new games will not be launched, as this is a "brand-new console".

And for our wishes, it would be cool to see an SNK/Sega/Capcom cooperation with both retro games and new ones, offering both offline and online multiplayer. The focus could be on 2D games with pixel-art (effectively saving 90% of game developing costs), some kind of Amico for retro hardcore gamers without most of the restrictions of the Amico (which make sense for them as they want parents to play with kids and elders). If games are mostly arcade, 2D or pixelated, violence would not be an issue. Of course, no loot boxes or micro-transactions would be sweet. Maybe they can include some 3D Sega arcades too, and even split-screen Doom style games.

• Like 1

Since I have no idea what SNk wants to do, let me just say what I would LIKE them to do.

I would like to see them release a $99 micro console with the ability to purchase digital games.  A 50/50 mix of new and vintage games would be ideal.  SNK has a great back library, but if you aren't a fighting game enthusiast, it gets same-y very quickly.  This is my second choice.

My first choice would be for them to forgo the hardware at all and just release on the switch.    

• Like 4

4 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Since I have no idea what SNk wants to do, let me just say what I would LIKE them to do.

I would like to see them release a $99 micro console with the ability to purchase digital games.  A 50/50 mix of new and vintage games would be ideal.  SNK has a great back library, but if you aren't a fighting game enthusiast, it gets same-y very quickly.  This is my second choice.

My first choice would be for them to forgo the hardware at all and just release on the switch.    

How about release games for the Atari VCS? Switch?!? What are you some kind of traitor!? 

• Haha 1

Yeah I'm not quite buying into them doing a full on console.  I think they're enjoying the perceived success of the MVS-x, and they'll re-up that partnership contract and do a home version of it, the AES-X if anything.  There's no way they'll go as far as anything like making a true new system, or something even further like the Evercade with little cartridges either.  I don't also feel they're stupid enough to try and go down the OUYA/Nvidia shield route of their own lame marketplace android failed formula setup either.  And given how Tommo screwed their rep with their NGX and the little cards and rocket cables that seems even more unlikely.

• Like 1

I think they have a decent amount of good IPs that can be revamped and be more relevant than what we have seen from Atari and Intellivision. The most interesting remake in my opinion from Atari has been Pong quest and that's a stretch and Cloudy from IE, but it even looks like a $0.50-$5 Steam game.

I don't have a list in front of me but if they still have Baseball Stars, Blazing Star, Metal Slug, King of Monsters, and the various fighting franchises they are already have some more compelling IPs than the other consoles. I don't think it needs to be a mini console, but I would try to keep it sub $250 and more around $200.

I don't see why families couldn't have fun with an SNK console either. I know my bros and I loved KoM growing up.

• Like 1

I don't think the new system will be only focused on their old games this time. They already released the NeoGeo Mini, the MSVX, etc. The WiFi logo suggests online, but don't forget they released a new KoF game and a new Samurai Shodown in the recent years, and are working on a new KoF and a new Metal Slug game. Don't forget SNK is very popular in Asia too, and I'm not sure the big 3 are very strong there... And Saudi Arabia just invested in SNK as well. They also could release a new standard for arcade and home like the original NeoGeo, but focusing on Asian markets.

• Like 3

I think there is certainly room for an SNK console on the market.  In asia, Xbox is nonexistent.   It’s pretty much just sony vs nintendo in a lot of the world. Of course Atari and Amico are overwhelmingly western, so those machines have a huge uphill battle when it comes to getting recognition in asia.  SNK really should take advantage of the korean and chinese, and japanese markets .  Plus it would sell pretty well in the middle-east as well me thinks.  That plus whatever sales they get from north america and europe could make a pretty succesful NEO•GEO console.  I can see it selling more than any previous SNK system from the 90s honestly.  The video game market is much bigger in 2020 than it was in the 90s.

Edited by AlecRob
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I think they have a decent amount of good IPs that can be revamped and be more relevant than what we have seen from Atari and Intellivision. The most interesting remake in my opinion from Atari has been Pong quest and that's a stretch and Cloudy from IE, but it even looks like a $0.50-$5 Steam game.

I don't have a list in front of me but if they still have Baseball Stars, Blazing Star, Metal Slug, King of Monsters, and the various fighting franchises they are already have some more compelling IPs than the other consoles. I don't think it needs to be a mini console, but I would try to keep it sub $250 and more around $200.

I don't see why families couldn't have fun with an SNK console either. I know my bros and I loved KoM growing up.

While in theory I do entirely agree with you, I don't see them being in a place where they could go into actually making a full blown cartridge taking TV based console again, and if they tried to ripoff Nintendo's hybrid design I think it would be a really tough sell even there having mobility+tv play as a choice.

That's why in my post I said a mini console an AES version of their MVS-X would make the most sense.  The MVS-X has a lot more, needs a screen, full blown 2P joystick array, all that woods and junk so it would add hundreds to the price, but an AES-X they could hit that $200 or under value and have the system with dozens of games on there like their little tabletop and the MVS-X.  But to appease the bigger fans, they do have these data-USB ports on the devices and they are upgradeable and due to that, hackable too.  Maybe through expansion carts that are tiny but look like AES carts you could add another 10 per cart or something for a $30-50 charge so people can build a library who are really that into it.  It would be cheap and easy on SNKs side as they could just re-release over 150 games, or as they've started doing on mobile mainly, make sequels or spinoffs they can peddle as well.  The home TV joystick of a year back and the MVS-X both use that 'hylo' setup so it wouldn't be a challenge to take that easily upgraded solid environment and consolize it, and as that could take existing work on the cheap, it would be the financially responsible and easy route to make a system.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

If they went the firestick route, there's no reason this couldn't simply be an app on the big three consoles. I would be *very* interested in that.

If it's a firestick type thing it needs at least 20 LEDs to be taken seriously as a console. Without them it's nothing more than a toy.

I think going a simple route would be a good idea. If they keep it cheap I don't think it would need to be an app on another console.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 1

No, I could get behind another console with a very low upfront cost ($150 max, $99 preferable).  But between my Switch and my XB1, I struggle to find the need that isn't already being filled.  Does SNK benefit from locking me into a particular ecosystem?  I didn't think they were big enough to play that game.

What I do love about their fighting games is that they're great for local co-op.  Family.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

No, I could get behind another console with a very low upfront cost ($150 max, $99 preferable).  But between my Switch and my XB1, I struggle to find the need that isn't already being filled.  Does SNK benefit from locking me into a particular ecosystem?  I didn't think they were big enough to play that game.

What I do love about their fighting games is that they're great for local co-op.  Family.

That is why I loved the KoM games. Beat em up and fighting great times with my siblings. All of their games have always been really easy to pick up and play.

• Like 2