IGNORED

SNK will release a "brand-new console" in 2021

IntelliMission

I wonder if old neo geo fans will crucify and hound younger people for being excited about a new SNK console, constantly trying to push alternatives on them like PC’s that they assume they already own and Raspberry Pi’s.   And them ban them from their forums for poking fun at their irrational hatred of the new SNK device.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

20 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

I wonder if old neo geo fans will crucify and hound younger people for being excited about a new SNK console, constantly trying to push alternatives on them like PC’s that they assume they already own and Raspberry Pi’s.   And them ban them from their forums for poking fun at their irrational hatred of the new SNK device.

We all like France more than Saudi Arabia, but hopefully the money injected from this Saudi prince will make some other recent similar French projects pale in comparison.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

If an old SNK fan wants to say it's a bad option so be it. As a younger person interested, I know I won't be trying to convince them that it's an industry disruptor.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlecRob said:

19 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

If an old SNK fan wants to say it's a bad option so be it. As a younger person interested, I know I won't be trying to convince them that it's an industry disruptor.

nah, i don't think so, and even so, folks are just gonna play what they wanna play.  I've never understood why this has been such an issue.  

I'm intrigued at the idea of an SNK console- hopefully cheaper than the Neo Geo ;)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

nah, i don't think so, and even so, folks are just gonna play what they wanna play.  I've never understood why this has been such an issue.  

I'm intrigued at the idea of an SNK console- hopefully cheaper than the Neo Geo ;)

Yup some people don't seem to grasp that if you want to reach a wider audience you can't price it like a boutique item. Items like Arcade 1up are not trying to hit the same wide audience like the VCS, Amico, and such are claiming to.

VCS is going to struggle getting people beyond those excited for the Atari symbol. I think Amico is going to struggle reaching their target audience and convincing them they are a better family option than already available consoles.

It will be interesting to see what route SNK takes. New, retro, casual, boutique, etc. They at least have good IPs but that doesn't mean success.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2020 at 2:42 PM, AlecRob said:

Old SNK fans are 40+ years old. Most of them have better things to do than start a mob on Twitter. Most of them aren't millenials. But if you ask one, yeah, who gives a crap about all these new attempts to cash in on games that have already been milked to death?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Yup some people don't seem to grasp that if you want to reach a wider audience you can't price it like a boutique item. Items like Arcade 1up are not trying to hit the same wide audience like the VCS, Amico, and such are claiming to.

VCS is going to struggle getting people beyond those excited for the Atari symbol. I think Amico is going to struggle reaching their target audience and convincing them they are a better family option than already available consoles.

It will be interesting to see what route SNK takes. New, retro, casual, boutique, etc. They at least have good IPs but that doesn't mean success.

You're thinking is right entirely, and it's basically where I was going thinking about a companion to the MVS-X an AES-X.  They could get that out for like $100ish or so, sub $150, that wouldn't be boutique, but it wouldn't be undersold garbage either.  You get this nice little black console, a mini version of the AES, and it has a large set of games, maybe more like that ridiculous home stick they did over a year ago where every month you can unlock more as a gift that keeps on giving.  I think it would be excellent and easy to do.  As far as IP goes, new, it's just better off going the route of current systems, steam(online, etc) shops, whatever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orange808 said:

I still can't quite figure how releasing a port of seven year old game on a portable somehow proved Sega would put their prime IP on Neo Geo when Sega mattered.  I guess I was too soft on the pedal.  Don't be a weasel.  Explain please.  Back up your position for posting the linky.

SEGA had some partnership with SNK at the time; the NeoGeo Pocket and the Dreamcast could be linked.

• Like 1

I will say this: it's a bit weird that SNK has not revealed any details about the console if it's really coming out in 2021.

As an example, Sony revealed the PS5's specs one year and one month before the final release date. Images of the N64 were sent to the press 2 years before its release. And a mockup of the Playdate appeared in the cover of Edge more than one year and a half ago.

Edited by IntelliMission

31 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

I will say this: it's a bit weird that SNK has not revealed any details about the console if it's really coming out in 2021.

As an example, Sony revealed the PS5's specs one year and one month before the final release date. Images of the N64 were sent to the press 2 years before its release. And a mockup of the Playdate appeared in the cover of Edge more than one year and a half ago.

Maybe they learned from other companies recently that it isn't a good idea to reveal too much if the hardware design isn't complete yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Maybe they learned from other companies recently that it isn't a good idea to reveal too much if the hardware design isn't complete yet?

At the very least, you get your hardware settled before you take money for it.  Doing anything else is clownshoes.

• Like 3

Unless I'm missing something, there are zero details. If I were into betting, I'd guess this hype is for yet another sad little retro box that looks backwards more than it looks forward. It's been a long time since we had a higher end console to purchase, but I don't see it changing soon, though I'd like to be wrong about that.

I missed out on the boom of high-end game consoles in the early 90's, and I'd probably be down to treat myself to something expensive if it felt special enough. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Austin said:

Didn't SNK do the same song and dance a while back, and the announcement turned out to just be the Neo-Geo Mini? Before that, it was the Neo-Geo X. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Neo Geo X could have been really good...after the neo geo forums ripped it apart though it was all over (have to admit, I'm guilty of it too but it was so fun trashing it, they had an entire sub forum for it, wild west rules....)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Neo Geo X could have been really good...after the neo geo forums ripped it apart though it was all over (have to admit, I'm guilty of it too but it was so fun trashing it, they had an entire sub forum for it, wild west rules....)

Yeah, it could have (and should have) been. Unfortunately, it really wasn't very good at its original launch price. And even when it was marked down to $100 later, it still felt underwhelming. It looked nice but didn't feel the part when you got your hands on it. Not to mention the emulation was sub-par even for the time (I remember tons of screen tearing, ugh).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

You're blaming an online forum and not the quality of the product?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/23/2020 at 8:38 AM, Austin said:

Yeah, it could have (and should have) been. Unfortunately, it really wasn't very good at its original launch price. And even when it was marked down to $100 later, it still felt underwhelming. It looked nice but didn't feel the part when you got your hands on it. Not to mention the emulation was sub-par even for the time (I remember tons of screen tearing, ugh).

I don't know, all I really remember being flat out terrible was the HDMI output to a TV...but supposedly that was fixed?  The emulation wasn't perfect but not nearly as bad as say Metal Slug Anthology psp. I think people just expected too much because of how polished the original Neo system was BITD. The X was a neat little thing for the time and worth the 100 bucks for everything you got (handheld unit, TV dock, full size replica arcade stick, etc)

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

It was obviously humor, but yeah, they ripped it a new asshole lol

They rip just about everything/everyone about three new a-holes...then their gloves pants come off ;)

Anybody know what the saudi prince's user name there is?  Just curious.  If anybody's ever again going to try and market a console exclusively to rich weirdos, this is probably it. I still smell another software-emulated, nostalgia-grab, though. The lack of statement otherwise is almost proof enough. 

We're not even going to get a system as good as what microsoft/sony sell to the freaking walmart-kids.  Prove me wrong, SNK.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

I don't know, all I really remember being flat out terrible was the HDMI output to a TV...but supposedly that was fixed?  The emulation wasn't perfect but not nearly as bad as say Metal Slug Anthology psp. I think people just expected too much because of how polished the original Neo system was BITD. The X was a neat little thing for the time and worth the 100 bucks for everything you got (handheld unit, TV dock, full size replica arcade stick, etc)

It was $200 when it launched and it was a ripoff. Just my two-cents anyway. :)

At the time you could get a Neo-Geo CD for under $150 and even with the load times and burned discs, you would have had a better experience (along with better build quality) for less money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Austin said:

It was $200 when it launched and it was a ripoff. Just my two-cents anyway. :)

At the time you could get a Neo-Geo CD for under $150 and even with the load times and burned discs, you would have had a better experience (along with better build quality) for less money.

yeah, I remember it at $179 and that was too much. 100 bucks was a good deal though, I even got free shipping. I'm kind of bummed I didn't keep mine but they had a small resurgence a little while back so I sold while prices were high...was a fun little piece of crap though ;)

One thing SNK has going for them is the insane amount of money that fans are willing to spend on Neo Geo items.  I'm no big tymer but I'm certainly guilty of it myself.  If SNK pushes out a low-run, "boutique" console that costs waaay more than we know it should, I'm confident it would still sell out.  And that's assuming it's a piece of crap like the NG X.  If SNK were to actually put time, effort and love into a new console, it stands to do MUCH better than Ataribox, Amico or any of these others.

That said, afaik SNK hasn't specifically said it's a new "Neo Geo" console, so it could end up being something completely new and surprising.  I'm ready for disappointment, but staying cautiously optimistic about this for now.

• Like 1