IGNORED

VCS Classic Controller Discussions (various)

jerseystyle

On 12/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, markofwolves said:

Is there any way to make it work on steam? I tried to start some classic games but it doesn't work.

If I start a pad tester, the buttons and toggle respond.

Thanks.

Download a program called X360CE. 

https://github.com/x360ce

You can use it to make any gamepad / joystick and make it look like a 360 game pad to games. Basically it takes Dinput(Direct input controller) calls and convert them to Xinput calls. Then it should work on steam. I've tested it myself and it works with steam and gamepass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worth mentioning in this thread that Asteroids: Recharged is SUPER GREAT with the Classic using twist to rotate, A to fire (can hold down), B to thrust, and the back button for hyperspace. I'd love to see an option to use up to thrust and B for hyperspace myself, but it plays really well with the Classic. May be the best way to play the game, at least it was for me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

I'd love to see an option to use up to thrust and B for hyperspace myself, but it plays really well with the Classic. May be the best way to play the game, at least it was for me.

I'd prefer this option as well, but have to agree that the Classic controller with current options, is the way to go. ?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, KD-0082 said:

I'm watching closely those new controllers, I think that in my case, would be much better than the VCS console itself (I have little space right now and need new controllers for my PC right now). Specially the modern controller seems a nice addition, albeit the classic joystick seems fun for playing some classic ones (I have the full Atari Vault collection on Steam).

Just asking: How works the classic controller outside the VCS? And how is the Modern controller in quality/price terms?

I just set up a classic controller with my Lakka/Retroarch box last night. Easy peasy. Set up the joystick as a D-pad and the twist as left analog left/right and you're all good on anything running lr-stella.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best way to play 2600 paddle games wirelessly; the only other wireless solution I know of is the iCode bluetooth adapter that lets you use original paddles, but that makes navigating game menus etc. absolute hell on earth. You've got to do that with a keyboard after getting all your paddles back to dead center, and holy Moses is that a pain.

And you also have to reconfigure input for your paddle games once you go 2-player (since lr-stella likes Paddle #2 to be set up on port #1 as L Analog up/down), so you can't easily switch between original paddles and the Classic on multiplayer paddle games. And the joystick is a paddle, not a spinner, so it's really only good for 2600 paddle games. And it takes some getting used to. It took me like ten games of Kaboom! to break 2000, just because the Classic joystick is not the same as a paddle wheel.

So at $60 the Classic is a big ask, especially if you dream of playing 4-player Warlords. But if it were half the price, I'd get four and have a dedicated Atari 2600 emulation box -- with wireless controllers and 4-player -- set up for under $200. That's less than a Retron with four paddle controllers and you get wireless.

• Like 2

I will say this: They are really good, but I do think they are somewhat more fragile than other modern sticks. Over the past year one of my Classics has gotten fairly loose, and the other is starting to show signs of loosening, although it is still nice and responsive. It has to do with the design of the Twist; there's a natural stress point being caused by the nature of it all. It's beyond me to know how to design it better, though, and I'd rather have the Classic experience and maybe have to buy a new controller every few years, if I even end up having to. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 10:37 AM, Mockduck said:

I will say this: They are really good, but I do think they are somewhat more fragile than other modern sticks. Over the past year one of my Classics has gotten fairly loose, and the other is starting to show signs of loosening, although it is still nice and responsive. It has to do with the design of the Twist; there's a natural stress point being caused by the nature of it all. It's beyond me to know how to design it better, though, and I'd rather have the Classic experience and maybe have to buy a new controller every few years, if I even end up having to. 

My original classic is starting to get stuck at certain positions. Do I dare take this thing apart and attempt to repair it?

• 4 weeks later...

I've put together a quick video showing you how to use the Classic on Stella and Steam: 

The main thing is learning how to swap between Atari VCS Mode and Xbox 360 Mode, the VCS Mode has twist and is supported by Stella while Steam doesn't currently appear to support VCS Mode, but does work with Xbox 360 mode on the Classic. That allows you to use the joystick, but no twist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So i don't know is this right place to ask but, i have been trying to buy the new Atari VCS Classic Joystick from ebay, but everytime when i see one and i ask seller about it they don't even answer me and i haven't gotten it, so iwas going to ask here does somebody have used one with cable and sell to me?

5 hours ago, Gimmel said:

So i don't know is this right place to ask but, i have been trying to buy the new Atari VCS Classic Joystick from ebay, but everytime when i see one and i ask seller about it they don't even answer me and i haven't gotten it, so iwas going to ask here does somebody have used one with cable and sell to me?

Honestly, the prices are eBay right now aren't any better than retail. You can purchase from Best Buy, Amazon or Atari directly, so I suggest trying that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gimmel said:

The assumption is you're in the US, so retail via Atari or a store is the preferred option.  However, if you're outside the US, thats probably not an option and it could end up costing a LOT more via eBay or import.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, Mockduck said:

Worth mentioning in this thread that Asteroids: Recharged is SUPER GREAT with the Classic using twist to rotate, A to fire (can hold down), B to thrust, and the back button for hyperspace. I'd love to see an option to use up to thrust and B for hyperspace myself, but it plays really well with the Classic. May be the best way to play the game, at least it was for me.

100 % agree it is the best way to play for sure.

I think Asteroids was always meant to play this way.

So So Good!

On 3/14/2022 at 2:55 AM, Gimmel said:

everytime when i see one and i ask seller about it they don't even answer me and i haven't gotten it

Why not skip the small talk and just purchase it without asking questions of the seller? Unless you are located in a country to which the seller does not ship, which would change things entirely...

I’m waiting for a big price drop before buying one so I decided to get a joystick now.  What can I use it on?  I can’t seem to use it on my Pi 4.  I’m running batocera on it.  It doesn’t like my Evercade either.  I think the joystick is the coolest thing I’ve seen in some time.  If nothing else, it’s a conversation piece.

29 minutes ago, rcajun90 said:

I’m waiting for a big price drop before buying one so I decided to get a joystick now.  What can I use it on?  I can’t seem to use it on my Pi 4.  I’m running batocera on it.  It doesn’t like my Evercade either.  I think the joystick is the coolest thing I’ve seen in some time.  If nothing else, it’s a conversation piece.

It works out of the box in AtariOS and on Stella for PC. It works without twist function in Steam, and I can't speak to MAME as my version is too old. So, as a stick it pretty much works with anything but the twist is pretty limited in compatibility on the PC side. 

57 minutes ago, rcajun90 said:

Does it pair at least?   If it does it may just be a mapping issue.