IGNORED

PlusCart(s) does not reconnect

Al_Nafuur

Very wierd

Put the new code on one of my carts.

Cart was working perfect. Able to play high score club games many times. Rebooted system/cart numerous times, all was working perfect

Turned off system went to eat dinner, came back and now cart has same connection issues as before

Putt the new code on my other cart, same connection issues. 

38 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Very wierd

Put the new code on one of my carts.

Cart was working perfect. Able to play high score club games many times. Rebooted system/cart numerous times, all was working perfect

Turned off system went to eat dinner, came back and now cart has same connection issues as before

Putt the new code on my other cart, same connection issues. 

Do you have connection issues with other devices in this network?

like websites loading (starting) not as fast as before the power outage, APPs on your smartphone are slower or start slower?  

20 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

I'm gonna see it Xfinity will swap my router out, this ones many years old anyway

Maybe their hardware was affected/harmed by the power outage too?

If you contact them you should asked them if there are issues or complains by other customers in your area too.

It's all very unlikely, but just to be sure.

Got the new router hooked up.

Cart is working but not 100%. Sometimes boots up to no menu and no wifi/pluscart connect. Reboot and will normally work on second or 3 reboot. Once connected it seems to stay connected and work fine.

I will use it for a few more days and update status

Next problem is only like 50% at best of the High Score Club games I play report results. Games like bowling, dragonfire, tapper, and stampede for example I played a few games of each today, and none reported scores.

No games were reporting when I was using the Dev firmware you had me try, got a lot better when I went back to normal current firmware(1.6?)

13 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Got the new router hooked up.

Cart is working but not 100%. Sometimes boots up to no menu and no wifi/pluscart connect. Reboot and will normally work on second or 3 reboot. Once connected it seems to stay connected and work fine.

Maybe the ESP8266 and your new router need more time to negotiate the connection?

The ESP8266 is connecting independently to the WiFi. The STM firmware is only waiting about 6 seconds for the ESP to connect. If the ESP (and the router) need more time to connect the STM firmware is booting without the PlusStore entries. Just the "WiFi Retry" and "Setup" entries are available then. "WiFi Retry" is just a check if the ESP is connected now and if it is connected the PlusStore entries are loaded.

16 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Next problem is only like 50% at best of the High Score Club games I play report results. Games like bowling, dragonfire, tapper, and stampede for example I played a few games of each today, and none reported scores.

it seems that a few routers don't like the kind of connection the PlusROM function tries to open

12 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Wow, that stinks, finally get my carts back up and running, and still can't play high score club.

Check your router for settings about "persistent HTTP connections", it should not close them automatically. Like Browsers the ESP8266 reopens it's connections, but this sometimes fails if it happens to often or the connection is closed/reconnecting when the ROM wants to send a request. This all might be reasons for not working PlusROM functions. 

@Fierodoug5 you might use the FTDI and ESPlorer to sniff the responses the ESP8266 gives to the PlusCart. Just connect it like described here:

And plug the USB to your PC after you powered up the VCS with the PlusCart.

I suspect that some time after you start a PlusROM you will see a message like "CLOSED" or "CONNECTION CLOSED" in the ESPlorer terminal, but maybe we will get some more information.

btw.

if you swap RX and TX you can sniff the commands the PlusCart sends to the ESP

Looks like my problem is still the same as before, just much better with this router. The ESP just loses connection often when using the cart. When you exit the game sometimes you have to reboot the cart once or twice to get it back. Still loses connection between menu changes from time to time. During some games it goes to "connection closed". This thing just does not like my ISP at all. Everything works fine using my hotspot on my phone, but I have terrible weak Cell service in my rural town. 

• 1 month later...

Just a update to my ESP8266-01s connection problems to my Xfinity Router

I had gotten (5) ESP's from a vendor on Aliexpress, all newer single blue LED units. Updated all to 1.7.4 firmware. Only 1 of the 5 will connect to my wifi without issues.

This week I got (5) ESP single LED units from Amazon. Updated all to 1.7.4 firmware. All 5 connect to my Wifi without issues.