IGNORED

It’s okay to like the VCS.

AlecRob

6 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

It has Fire Truck? That's actually cool. Fire Truck is my all-time holy grail acrade game to buy.

It has Vault so I'm assuming it's on there. I know when I got Atari Vault on Steam it was one of the included cabinets.

The amount of fun I had listening to the little one cackle at playing that game made it worth it just for that game alone.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

How sturdy does it feel? 

It’s smaller than expected but it’s sturdy as hell, controllers feel a little light but are pretty firm and don’t feel cheap, and I’m usually used to an Xbox elite controller with double aa’s in it which adds a lot of weight.

if anything the people that don’t think the console will be worth while should look into the controllers they made when they come out.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

By the same logic, it is okay not to like it.

It's okay not to like something, but the hate has really become toxic in my opinion. I didn't back the VCS, and from what I've read, it's power is comparable to a Wii U. With that said, I've read, like any PC, it can be upgraded if desired. The controllers and hardware are cool, and if Steam can be downloaded on it, it would make buying one worth wild. I have a Mac, so there are a ton of Steam games I can't play because of a lack of Mac versions.

Keep in mind, I'm not a huge fan of the current leadership of the brand, especially how they handled Minimum.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Nall3k said:

With that said, I've read, like any PC, it can be upgraded if desired.

But here's one of those claims that has to be corrected. It's not hate, it's reality.

It can't be upgraded like any PC. Yes, you can add memory, and boot to a different OS. But on a PC I was using for gaming, I'd be looking at the processor and graphics card...and the VCS is stuck with what's it's got.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, racerx said:

But here's one of those claims that has to be corrected. It's not hate, it's reality.

It can't be upgraded like any PC. Yes, you can add memory, and boot to a different OS. But on a PC I was using for gaming, I'd be looking at the processor and graphics card...and the VCS is stuck with what's it's got.

Good correction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlecRob said:

We don’t have to be corrected or educated about why we shouldn't like it.  We are aware of the alternatives.  We are aware of other options.  Please get off our case.    Let us enjoy the VCS in peace.  

that is all.

It's also OK to not play the victim card because others don't care for it or the company behind it, and to reply to criticism in a level-headed manner because it's likely to garner a lot more respect from the opposition than having emotional outbursts in their direction due to disagreement with their position(s).

Not aiming that comment at you specifically, @AlecRob, but mentioning it because it takes at least two to tango.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4

HEY! THESE GUYS DO OR DON'T THINK THE VCS IS STUPID! LET'S GO LYNCH 'EM! Pitchforks and torches!

Is that really how a couple goofball jokes and insults are interpreted? Let me set it up for anyone inflamed and angry about the VCS, one way or another:

Most really, really, REALLY don't care about the VCS. Is it ill produced by misanthropes? Probably. Is it overpriced computer gubbins? Probably.

Is it hilarious that the management of the project can't actually advertise and only makes things worse? Absolutely.

Will history care if you buy it? No, it's your money. Is it foolish? Maybe, but only you can be the judge of that in your life.

Should any of the statement above matter in the slightest? Absolutely not. Make your own choices and have fun with them.

If you really think a couple off-color jokes, genuine criticism, and goofball insults are such a big deal that it's having effect on your emotional and mental state, I'd recommend hitting the little 'Log Out' button on all internet activities for a while, because life's too short and you're taking everything too seriously, and I speak from personal experience saying that.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

IF YOU ONLY READ ONE PART OF THIS POST AND HAVE ONLY ONE TAKEAWAY, LET IT BE THIS:

I mean this from the cockles of my cold simian heart, too. Real talk: I left AA for a while (a while meaning seven years) because I started taking these Internet shenanigans too seriously, here and everywhere else, and it started impacting my life in very bad ways.

On the list of things to get angry about, different opinions about wonky electric beeps and boops should be, oh, #245937375057363 on the list in anyone's life.

If you're getting pissed about Atari, go outside. Take a walk. Live life. Eat chicken and waffles (trust me).

Don't slave at an electronic altar of old farts talking about dusty silicon. It's not worth it. It never is. There are far, far more important people in your life than faceless names within a perpetual digital nerd convention.

mob1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I left AA for a while (a while meaning seven years) because I started taking these Internet shenanigans too seriously, here and everywhere else, and it started impacting my life in very bad ways.

Pretty good way to hide that prison sentence.  Go to prison, become a lawyer, isn't that how it always works? :evil:

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, racerx said:

Yeah, and Atari have seen fit to saddle it with the weakest integrated graphics that AMD currently make in the shape of Vega 3. So, even when you open it up, add extra RAM and an SSD, and install Windows and Steam you're still only getting the bottom tier of modern PC gaming.

Being charitable, there's still a heck of a lot you can do with such a set up plugged into your TV. Emulators, indiegames, and the classics of previous eras will still work fine. You'll even be able to play some very recent AAA games because the developers threw in a potato setting so games will still run on the cheapest laptops, and even when they don't the ultra-low modding community can often get games working on systems that are far below the minimum spec.

For what it's worth, I've got a GPD Win which has specs below even the VCS and that has been a pleasant surprise at times in terms of what I can play on it. However, it's not like I can simply fire up and play anything in my Steam library. I've got to pick from a much smaller list of games that'll work at all, and usually put a fair bit of effort into setting them up. That's been an acceptable compromise for me, but I've lost count of the number of people who've expressed buyer's remorse because they didn't realize quite what they were letting themselves in for with it.

That's pretty much how I'd see it going down with people buying the VCS to use it as a Steam Box.

• Like 2

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Public forums about an ATARI product is open to any comments or criticism, please stop with the "victim" mentality or is it just good old attention whoring?  You don't get it your way because your feelings are hurt or you are defensive or need to defend your investment, whichever applies in your case. You want to cry and whine "LEAVE US ALONE, LET US LIKE THE VCS!" but really, if you like it, if you are ultimately satisfied with your "investment" then good for you, continue to do so and well., when you eventually get it, enjoy it and stop worrying about others that do not share your enthusiasm. Whether of not you want to be "corrected" or "educated" about it is totally UP TO YOU, you can ignore these comments or posts that don't support your view but guess what? YOU DON'T get to dictate others responses, views or opinions about the product or the people behind it. Seriously the only one keeping you from enjoying the VCS in peace is YOU ? If what other people say about it affects you so much you may want to rethink your priorities or where you choose to spend your time because Atariage is NOT your personal safe space where the only view of AtariVCS is sunshine and rainbows and compliments. If you post content in any form it will be judged and challenged, accept it but learn to deal with it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Public forums about an ATARI product is open to any comments or criticism, please stop with the "victim" mentality or is it just good old attention whoring?  You don't get it your way because your feelings are hurt or you are defensive or need to defend your investment, whichever applies in your case. You want to cry and whine "LEAVE US ALONE, LET US LIKE THE VCS!" but really, if you like it, if you are ultimately satisfied with your "investment" then good for you, continue to do so and well., when you eventually get it, enjoy it and stop worrying about others that do not share your enthusiasm. Whether of not you want to be "corrected" or "educated" about it is totally UP TO YOU, you can ignore these comments or posts that don't support your view but guess what? YOU DON'T get to dictate others responses, views or opinions about the product or the people behind it. Seriously the only one keeping you from enjoying the VCS in peace is YOU ? If what other people say about it affects you so much you may want to rethink your priorities or where you choose to spend your time because Atariage is NOT your personal safe space where the only view of AtariVCS is sunshine and rainbows and compliments. If you post content in any form it will be judged and challenged, accept it but learn to deal with it. 

This right here is an extremely toxic post that's unironically, projecting. No one is acting like a victim, this whole product is being way overblown. Video games and computers are not investments, materialistic items all eventually lose value over time. Financially given, time and enjoyment as interests change.

racerx correctly pointed out, besides memory, the VCS can't be updated like a PC. His/Her post pointing that out was not toxic or vitriol. I've been a member since 2002, and I have never seen the level of animosity about a product like this one. I'm intrigued by the VCS and plan to follow its path (and before you accuse me of being a fanboy or admirer of the VCS, I do indeed believe it's more likely to end in failure than success, I wasn't a backer and haven't bought one). We can have a genuine, sincere conversation about the product without the ranting and raving vitriol.

Lastly, I don't believe in "safe spaces", but that doesn't give a person the right to act like a dick. Like I said, I've never seen such a level of animosity toward a product that may not even be around this time next year. There are worse examples of misleading advertising, product launches in video games that are far more egregious than the VCS is. Games advertised that aren't even close to what was marketed as (Aliens: CM, Anthem), studios marketing gambling mechanics to kids (EA), the red ring of death on the 360, the 3DO and Jaguar were terrible systems (I've owned a Jaguar, with the exception of Tempest, it's understandable why it failed): I could go on.

I do want to point out how the goal posts have routinely been moved for the VCS in this community, there are countless posts and videos about how it will never launch and it's just vaporware. Well, it launched. Nobody expected a system on the same level as PS5 and Xbox. Those systems are sold at a loss that MS and Sony make up with licensing and software. The current Atari can't do that, so yes, the VCS is a low-end PC. Going from "it's a scam that will never launch" to "okay, it launched, but it's not competitive with the PS5 or Xbox" is just moving the goal post.

At the end of the day, they're just products. If a person wants to point something out about the VCS or how Atari has botched the whole thing till launch, then fine. But if that person is simply trolling or acting like a dick, then they seriously need to re-evaluate their priorities in life.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

It has Fire Truck? That's actually cool. Fire Truck is my all-time holy grail acrade game to buy.

Fire Truck is in the Vault DLC which is know as Vol. 2 on the VCS. (a.k.a. Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 3 on PS4 and XB1. And in the 150-game Vita and Switch compilations.)

• Like 5