IGNORED

Season 18 Round 10 of 15 - Super Mario Bros. 3

asponge

We're playing Super Mario Bros. 3 this round with some special rules.  A maximum of 5 deaths are allowed per attempt.  After either 5 deaths or you defeat Bowser your game is over.  Please refrain from camping for points, replaying levels or exploiting game glitches.  This game has a timer, however, you should be playing to complete as many levels as possible and finish the game while maximizing your score along the way; not just racking up points on enemies that respawn.

114253976_SuperMarioBros3Cartridge.png.6b7d37cccba438c97afb3f083538c464.png 647647283_SuperMarioBros3Screenshot.png.97b6fd31a52a184a79e8b37a9d74a2ea.png

Game Rules:

A maximum of 5 deaths allowed.

Record your score after 5 deaths or Bowser is defeated.

Do not camp for points, intentionally replay levels or exploit game glitches.

No Continues

NES Version Only.  No All-Stars

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday January 10 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

974,220 by Starcry posted on 2/25/2010

Scores as of 1/10:

bubufubu      1,589,320
Razzie.P      1,012,950
AtariSphinx     516,830
asponge         485,740
empsolo         343,750
fakecortex      200,640
roadrunner      185,000
jblenkle         46,800

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.cfc9be5f5d966370dba2d27d530a54cf.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png

• 2 weeks later...

Second attempt went a bit better but it still feels like a crap score to me.  The silly deaths.  *sigh*  ?

I shouldn't have even posted the first attempt but I wasn't expecting to give it another go.  I'm such a spontaneous gamer these days.

Anyone else think the green blobs that sway back and forth on World 6 are a nod to the Zols and Gels from The Legend of Zelda?

Super Mario Bros. 3 (974,610 Points).jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Just wanna share my pain. Having a pretty good game, and havin fun, when this happens. At least I was only on 2-3 and didn’t beat my high yet, but still. Feels like wasted time. 

That sucks.  Thankfully, you weren't super far into the game.

Here's a couple of tips.  Maybe you already know, but I'll still share them:

1. Use the flight costumes to more easily stay in the air and string together consecutive bounces on enemies.

2. Bring enemies to the end of the stage (when available) before you collect your card.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

My 5th death came in such an embarrassing way.  Had a brain fart, tried to grab a red shell while small, kicked it against a block, and ?

I don't think I can bring myself to try again, though, so I'll go ahead and post.  Played it so much this week, it makes me nauseous thinking of "1 more run."

... now if I post another score tomorrow, I'll have to pretend I didn't just say all that.  ?

Mario3_1012950.jpg.ee4d3c9d8b49fceddffe3b9c2b64937d.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

My 5th death came in such an embarrassing way.  Had a brain fart, tried to grab a red shell while small, kicked it against a block, and ?

I don't think I can bring myself to try again, though, so I'll go ahead and post.  Played it so much this week, it makes me nauseous thinking of "1 more run."

Great score.  Congrats on breaking 1 million.  This challenge is harder than I thought it would be.  I think you should keep trying.

• Like 1