IGNORED

SuperMash retro throwback - indie game (in VCS Store)

justclaws

From Medium AtariVCS feed also...
https://atarivcs.medium.com/retro-throwback-supermash-coming-to-the-atari-vcs-862b9ffbe6c3

I guess this should be a good use of the unique Atari VCS retro style controller too.

Their web-site is here. It's cross-patform, and they are apparently based in New York.
https://www.digitalcontinue.com/super_mash/

* I have no connection with the Atari company, this project, or the developer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just found a series of YouTube videos which explain the game in more detail.
There is a whole set of features in the game which I had no idea about.
The videos in the play-list cover:
- customer requests - I thought the store was unnecessary, but DOH.
- dev cards
- playing a mash
- glitches (not bugs in the game - glitches are a feature in the game!)

There are still some controller oddities on the VCS - like pressing BACK to start the game,
but those need an update by the developer of course, and the game is playable no problem
but a patch for those cosmetic things is pending. I hope DigitalContinue have news soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just bought this game this afternoon. It's a good looking game, with excellent graphics and story line. Does not seem to work at all with my classic "T" joystick... so I couldn't play it after buying it. Going to have to wait until I can buy one of the other PS4 style joysticks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I bought this game a while ago and I've been unable to play it. It seems that no matter what I do, the game seems to be fixated on turning left. Like, the game rotations in the beginning when you select the types of games to mash together... it just continues to spin. When I go to edit the settings, it immediately starts to make the volume go down to the left unless I forcibly turn it back up. When I take my hands off the controller, the volume goes down again.

It does this with both style of controllers. I can't seem to play it any other way.

All the other games work perfectly on the VCS... I'm using either the joystick, or the control pad (both OEM Atari controllers).

Anyone else having this problem? I've reset a few times, and shut down entirely too... no change...

The last time I had this problem... it was when my parents brought home the Atari 5200 for Christmas... hahah...

Sounds like a game glitch to me but have you tried calibrating the controllers?  There is a controller manual online.  I know it is on the founders discord but I think it is also on the Atari VCS website.  Try this:

Q2. My Wireless Modern Controller is drifting/moving on its own, or is responding inaccurately.

A1. Recalibrate your controller:

1. Connect the MicroUSB cable to the MicroUSB port of the controller.
        2. Hold down the “back arrow”, “Atari Fuji logo” and “3 lines” buttons at the same time and connect the USB cable to the USB port of your VCS (or PC).
        3. The LED will give a quick flash indicating this controller is in the calibrate mode.
        4. Rotate the left joystick 360 degrees three times. Rotate the right joystick 360 degrees three times.
        5. Press the left trigger all the way down three times. PRess the right trigger all the way down three times.
        6. Press both the "D-PAD Down" and "Y" button at the same time to save and exit the calibrate mode.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I am working away from home all week, at the moment, and without my VCS, I cannot verify,
but I understand that there was an update just released for this game. I hope that they were able
to fix the cosmetic glitches, but more importantly extend the control options which may help you.

I was checking out SuperSmash today, and indeed the update for glitches I had before are resolved.
I did not have any trouble with the controller function, and now finally the on-screen prompts for
game start, and Quick Mash etc., actually match the required keys. It's now much more enjoyable!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...