IGNORED

Chrome Browser Apps, and Streaming - YouTube, Netflix, Prime, Disney, Plex, etc..

justclaws

On 8/25/2021 at 8:05 PM, Allpaul said:

I just tried the Peacock web app. It gives the error Sorry, Linux Operating System is not yet supported on Peacock. Anyone else get this error?

Showtime also crashes on launch. 

I'm still having this issue. I'm guessing it must be working for some people, or they would delete it from the store.

I noticed Apple TV+ was in 720p. YouTube however was great at streaming 4K video on my monitor but when I use the monitor in 4K resolution on Chrome in AtariOS, a green screen often pops up and I restart the system to get the interface to look normal again. I reported the issue to Atari support today and hope for a resolution in a future software update. No issues with Antstream or games in 4K mode. Also in 4K the apps may have text that is hard to read, I recommend using  the keyboard shortcuts CTRL  + and CTRL  - to change the size of the text so it's readable.

Edited by swingstate

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm confused about the Amazon Prime Video app. Can someone clear it up for me? I don't currently own a VCS so this is from the point of view of someone who is very short on info. My understanding to this point is that there is no native app for Amazon Prime video. Is that correct? You must use a keyboard and mouse to navigate a shortcut in chrome? I ask because I currently have a PS4 set up on my living room and use it basically as a media streaming device. I don't play any of the games on it so I'm thinking about replacing it with a VCS but I need it to be as easy to use for Amazon Prime as the PS4. So the Controller needs to work in Amazon Prime.

If that doesn't work, does the Plex integration with Amazon Prime work around this problem or do I have exit out of Plex in order to get to the search results?

Lastly does anyone use Amazon integration with Kodi? Is it possible to set the VCS to boot into another OS by default? My thought is to have it boot into Libreelec and then boot into Atari OS when I want to play games.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 11:31 PM, rocketmonkey101 said:

I'm confused about the Amazon Prime Video app. Can someone clear it up for me? I don't currently own a VCS so this is from the point of view of someone who is very short on info. My understanding to this point is that there is no native app for Amazon Prime video. Is that correct? You must use a keyboard and mouse to navigate a shortcut in chrome? I ask because I currently have a PS4 set up on my living room and use it basically as a media streaming device. I don't play any of the games on it so I'm thinking about replacing it with a VCS but I need it to be as easy to use for Amazon Prime as the PS4. So the Controller needs to work in Amazon Prime.

If that doesn't work, does the Plex integration with Amazon Prime work around this problem or do I have exit out of Plex in order to get to the search results?

Lastly does anyone use Amazon integration with Kodi? Is it possible to set the VCS to boot into another OS by default? My thought is to have it boot into Libreelec and then boot into Atari OS when I want to play games.

Thanks!

It's a Chrome link to Amazon Prime Video site/webapp.  There is no 'native' app, nor is there any point making an app to replicate the webapp functionality.
I would say if you buy a VCS, a keyboard/mouse is essential.  The Logitech K400 seems quite popular and I can recommend it.

Can't comment on Plex. Kodi will not run on the AtariOS, you'll need to run it in another OS.

Yes you can install any other PC OS and set to boot as default, it's regular PC hardware with UEFI BIOS.  My own VCSs boot into Linux Mint by default, I can manually boot Atari OS to buy games.  Those games are standard Linux games and will run on Linux, although you may need to install some libraries - worth doing if you know how.

Hope this helps.  The VCS Discord is worth joining.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:31 PM, rocketmonkey101 said:

Yes you can install all kinds of OSes on this and make them boot by default

If you put an OS on a USB drive, then it will boot while plugged in,  and boot into Atari OS when it isn't.

If you install a m.2. drive inside the VCS, you can load another OS onto that and either choose the Boot device from the BIOS menu or install a boot loader.

What I did was install Ubuntu and put on a game/app launcher that comes up by default.   Kodi is one of the options in the game launcher and it works great.

On 4/18/2023 at 5:23 PM, rocketmonkey101 said:

Does the controller play nice when using Kodi? I have heard you can use a controller with Kodi but don't know if the Atari one is a good fit.

Thanks for the replies.

There are ways to get controllers working in Kodi: https://kodi.wiki/view/Game_controllers

The Atari controller has a PC Mode,  but it's activated by pushing certain buttons on the controller.

One thing to keep in mind though.   While the VCS can be a powerful media player, PC mode is still a PC and many apps only allow joystick control as an afterthought if at all.   I keep a mini wireless keyboard like the one below around for times when keyboard input is needed:

https://www.amazon.com/Backlit-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-Rechargeable/dp/B08TM6132G/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=mini+keyboard+usb&qid=1681999945&sr=8-8

So I decided to take the plunge and bought a VCS off ebay. I picked up one of these controllers https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Wireless-Remote-Control-Mouse/dp/B0050PUGZE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sanoxy+remote

my hope is that Kodi has an onscreen keyboard that I can type things into with that remote. I plan to boot into LibreElec, load the amazon plugin along with Pluto TV and tubi. I'm hoping I can make it all work and make it simple. I may end up buying a keyboard like the one you linked to. That's a killer price if I need that functionality

On 4/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, rocketmonkey101 said:

So I decided to take the plunge and bought a VCS off ebay. I picked up one of these controllers https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Wireless-Remote-Control-Mouse/dp/B0050PUGZE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sanoxy+remote

Interesting device and may cover many of the cases where a keyboard is needed.   One of the most common is the need for an escape key to exit a game/app but they didn't think to map it to the game controller.

Also has a keypad which might be useful for Intellivision/Colecovision/5200/Jaguar emulators...

• 7 months later...