IGNORED

Google Stadia - streaming gameplay on new VCS

justclaws

Atari said in the past that supporting Google Stadia (and others) are part of their plan for the console.
I run Google Stadia on a (less graphically powerful) mini-desktop PC running Linux, and it works well.

This opens up lots of new games for a suitable machine - and new Atari VCS with Chrome should work,
and it may also be that a new Stadia app is coming, but it should be possible already just from Chrome.
https://store.google.com/product/stadia_games

If you don't know what Stadia is, this was the launch event.

atarivcs-stadia.png

There are lots of reviews of Stadia playing "CyberPunk 2077" already on YouTube.

The interesting thing is, only the PC version really works well it seems. Maybe the Xbox-X version,
but the older generation consoles and even the PS5 apparently have big problems, so PC is ideal.

Now, a friend of mine recently bought himself a new 3,000 EUR (>$3,500) gaming PC, and got an
amazing deal on the hardware. He settled for the lesser Nvidia 3080 (if you can find one) over a
the first choice for the game Nvidia 3090, but it packs 32GB RAM, a top-end Intel i9, and so on.
He was waiting to put his new "baby" to use with Cyberpunk 2077, and it runs, but not perfectly.
He should have spent the extra 1000 EUR and gone for the Nvidia 3090, but he's (quite) happy.
https://www.nvidia.com/nl-nl/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3080/#wtb

Now I also got interested in the game, but I wasn't so sure. Stadia seems like a safer investment
to me, because I just pay a subscription after the free trial, and Google have to buy the hardware.

For me, this is definitely an option to play the game on my big-screen TV in my living room.
A silent little box which sits under the TV, uses so little electricity, and is ready in a moment.

Call me interested. Me, I'm not made of money. I have kids, and I work hard for my money.

A bit more gameplay in this nice example of 4K. 

* I am not connected with the Atari company, or Google Stadia.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nall3k said:

I find it amusing if true that Cyberpunk is running better on a low end PC via Stadia than on PS4 or Xbox. 

No, unfortunately not, but it's exactly the point i was making; our video-gaming lives are changing so quickly.
I don't have a VCS yet, unfortunately. ? If I had, for sure I would post a video and we'd see how it works. ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a note on this; yesterday I was playing Stadia on the VCS, using a wireless keyboard

and mouse. In fact, for the games I was playing, not only was it fantasically responsive and
visually impressive, but the wireless keyboard and mouse was also just as convenient. ? 

I will get to testing my various controllers to see which work later. Sadly I know my Wii-U
Pro controller also does not work with Stadia, just like Atari modern controller in VCS mode.

I also had trouble getting my Xbox controllers working, but it worked OK before in Windows.
As there is a planned update for the modern controller, as I understand it, I can be patient.

For now, if the game is suitable, Stadia runs very well with keyboard/mouse in AtariOS. :-D 

BTW, this is the previous Stadia thread with announcement etc.

On 1/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, SizzleAtari said:

I don't want to use a keyboard or mouse though. I'd buy an actual PC if I wanted to do that. Others have gotten the VCS modern controller to work, by USB, and in Xbox mode. I just can't seem to do it.

How do you put a VCS controller in Xbox mode??

7 hours ago, SizzleAtari said:

I believe you hold the Atari logo button for a few seconds then it changes to XBox mode.

When wired, it is the back and menu buttons together, the buttons either side of the Atari Home button.
It's still glitchy IMHO though, and on Bluetooth not working right. It's a known bug, and is pending a fix.

Just a heads up to those enjoying STADIA on VCS or otherwise - Google is shutting down its Stadia game studios
Industry veteran Jade Raymond is leaving Google as it focuses on third-party games.

https://www.engadget.com/google-stadia-game-studios-shut-down-montreal-los-angeles-201811811.html

56 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Just a heads up to those enjoying STADIA on VCS or otherwise - Google is shutting down its Stadia game studios
Industry veteran Jade Raymond is leaving Google as it focuses on third-party games.

https://www.engadget.com/google-stadia-game-studios-shut-down-montreal-los-angeles-201811811.html

I think it is a very good thing. They're shutting down a new studio, and expanding Stadia offerings!

They have not released any internal game so far, and they are far better focusing on the Stadia cloud platform
rather than becoming a competing games company. That was only creating resistance from some publishers.

They just expanded their service to another 8 European countries in December, and 22 more on the way, I read.
https://blog.google/products/stadia/stadia-launches-eight-new-european-countries/

Cheers, Richard.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2021 at 5:25 AM, justclaws said:

When wired, it is the back and menu buttons together, the buttons either side of the Atari Home button.
It's still glitchy IMHO though, and on Bluetooth not working right. It's a known bug, and is pending a fix.

Yeah I got the controller to register this way in stadia but it instantly lost the connection.  Couldn’t get it to work properly at all

however, I paired my ps4 controller to the VCS and it worked flawlessly! So guess I’ll just do that for now!

3 hours ago, SizzleAtari said:

So, are you using Stadia in PC mode? Or just the Chrome Browser?

Just the chrome browser.  Pair a ps4 controller from the main system menu, then load chrome (using the VCS iPhone app for mouse and keyboard), when you then load the stadia webpage and login in it recognizes the ps4 controller.  You still need to use the iPhone mouse to select and get into whatever game, but once you’re in it the controller works.  Assume it would be similar for an actual Xbox controller too

• Like 1

I was playing Stadia via Chrome on the VCS, AtariOS mode, but only with a cable connection.
The key thing is that pressing <back> and <menu> together switches it to Xbox compatible
controller mode, but only, so far, when plugged in. In that mode, Stadia finds it immediately.

I have several controllers, but until this week I did not have an Actual Xbox USB controller.
I ordered a cheap Xbox clone controller with USB dongle from Ebay, and waiting patiently.
I can confirm, the Xbox controller (and it's wireless via a dongle, not Bluetooth) works 100%
with Stadia in Chrome in AtariOS mode. Chrome instantly recognised it without any setup...

It seems that a USB solution is the best way, for now at least. At least the official Atari
modern controller has a 10 foot cable, but obviously it would be better if Bluetooth does.
As Stadia isn't my primary use of the VCS, I can live with it. I recommend giving it a try!

I think Google need to add some more controller compatibility - also adding Nintendo's.
There was another update about Stadia on 12th February. It certainly isn't going away.
Next up on Stadia: Adventure, explore, and compete... - Stadia Community

• 11 months later...

I wonder what will happen to Stadia once the following occurs:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-stadia-google-stream/amp/

Excerpt from article:

The Stadia streaming service has been an uphill battle for Google, and the company shutting down its only in-house game studio in early 2021 wasn’t a great sign. Stadia has continued to stick around, but a new report from Business Insider reveals how the platform’s priorities are shifting from a consumer product to a service for other businesses.

Google publicly confirmed in 2021 that it planned to sell Stadia’s technology as a service to select partners, allowing companies to build products that use Stadia streaming to varying extents. Business Insider reports that this technology is called “Google Stream,” and most of Google’s efforts with Stadia are now focused on striking deals to use Google Stream. Peloton is reportedly using Steam to power games on its fitness bikes, such as Lanebreak. Google was also in talks with game developer Bungie last year, which would have involved Bungie creating a Stadia-like streaming platform of its own and using Stream for the technical side, but it’s not clear if those plans will continue now that Sony is purchasing Bungie.

Edited by ColecoGamer

28 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

I wonder what will happen to Stadia once the following occurs:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-stadia-google-stream/amp/

Excerpt from article:

It's a good service and I think it works great on the VCS. I also think that gaming habits are changing and having in house studios for companies like them is kind of dumb. AAA games are a mammoth market, but one thing I noticed in using Stadia was that it was not logically arrayed, relies on a Stadia-specific controller, and is a bit choppy, though not bad, with a high speed internet connection. That last thing is an issue for all cloud gaming services, but it's something purists just can't get over. I still see a big future for cloud gaming but do wonder if companies with a bigger native user base and better access to agreements with developers, like XBOX, will turn the corner quicker. For now I like Stadia and will co tinge using it. 

• Like 1